• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton Flowers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Generally, the ones that get to play on Sunday.

Blake Bortles and Jameis Winston have something to say about that.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

We always look at the great and wonderful attributes of a QB when we are winning, its just how it works.  The next few weeks will make me a believer or reinforce the feelings I still have.

There is a difference between a "mobile" QB and a "run first" QB.  QF is a run first QB, it is just who he is.  Steve Young, Paxton Lynch, Blakee Bortles...., all are mobile QBs.  The problem with run first QBs is that their lack of throwing ability is covered by their explosive play ability.  As long as we are winning and the explosive plays keep coming, we will be satisfied.  

That being said, even though it feels AMAZING to win, Uconn is 1-3 in conference and SMU is 0-3.  We all know who Uconn beat, UCF, the worst FBS team in the country.

Murder's row is coming and if it was not for UCF's dumpster fire, I would hold by my projection of 4 wins.

If QF shines in the next three games, I will be a believer and give CWT his due for recruiting him as a QB.    

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Army, I don't disagree with your statements, but we played Memphis close and we've man-handled UConn and SMU.  Also, Cuse may be better than we thought.  We laid an egg at Maryland, but hopefully that's behind us.

Army, I don't disagree with your statements, but we played Memphis close and we've man-handled UConn and SMU.  Also, Cuse may be better than we thought.  We laid an egg at Maryland, but hopefully that's behind us.

I am trying to tame my excitement, but knowing that all we need is one win versus Navy, Cincy, Temple, or ECU, and then the UCF win (yeah, I have that penciled in) to be bowl eligible.  It is certainly more possible than I thought 2 weeks ago.  

Getting bowl eligible before the UCF game would be great, if we do roll into the UCF game still needing one win, that will be crazy intense on so many levels.   

I'm with you.  I hope we're bowl eligible before the UCF game.  There is nothing they'd like more than to beat us to keep us out of a bowl game.

I'm with you.  I hope we're bowl eligible before the UCF game.  There is nothing they'd like more than to beat us to keep us out of a bowl game.

My gawd, I would have to take a break from the internet if that happened.  It would be unbearable.  

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

None of the teams left are unbeatable.  None are as good as Memphis, IMO, even Temple.  I am actually expecting to win at least 1 out of next 4.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

We always look at the great and wonderful attributes of a QB when we are winning, its just how it works.  The next few weeks will make me a believer or reinforce the feelings I still have.

There is a difference between a "mobile" QB and a "run first" QB.  QF is a run first QB, it is just who he is.  Steve Young, Paxton Lynch, Blakee Bortles...., all are mobile QBs.  The problem with run first QBs is that their lack of throwing ability is covered by their explosive play ability.  As long as we are winning and the explosive plays keep coming, we will be satisfied.  

That being said, even though it feels AMAZING to win, Uconn is 1-3 in conference and SMU is 0-3.  We all know who Uconn beat, UCF, the worst FBS team in the country.

Murder's row is coming and if it was not for UCF's dumpster fire, I would hold by my projection of 4 wins.

If QF shines in the next three games, I will be a believer and give CWT his due for recruiting him as a QB.    

Flowers is a developing mobile QB.  He's not there yet, but his passing game has made tremendous strides.  He's thrown a lot of balls right on the money.  The Barr pass comes to mind.  He dropped that right in there.  The play where he extended the play and threw it right to Dillon, who dropped it, is another one that comes to mind.  Most QB's would have been sacked and would have never even got the pass off.

Flowers is a developing mobile QB.  He's not there yet, but his passing game has made tremendous strides.  He's thrown a lot of balls right on the money.  The Barr pass comes to mind.  He dropped that right in there.  The play where he extended the play and threw it right to Dillon, who dropped it, is another one that comes to mind.  Most QB's would have been sacked and would have never even got the pass off.

And this is were the allure of the "run first" QB manifests itself.  For every one of those plays that end with "most other QBs would have been sacked" there are a dozen others when he ran for a few yards with wide open receivers down field.  This is what winning does for the "run first" QBs.  We start manipulating stats (QBR anyone), talking about dropped passes (yes, I know the few that were on the receivers), and justifying all of the inability.  In the end, wins are wins, but I still believe we are winning in spite of QF, not because of QF.  Not that we have better options either, it is what it is.     

Edited by ArmyBull

QF definitely has some severe limitations.  His running ability is really the only reason he's back there.