• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spread Offense ?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Bananas. Can't say I disagree. This might bring back some fans.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

Whatever the change we need to be more efficient in the red zone. 9 red zone touchdowns on the season (dead last in FBS) is not going to cut it. 70% scoring percentage over all in the red zone isn't going to cut it. Last year we had 18 red zone touchdowns and scored on 88% of drives that entered the red zone. This year we were money scoring from our own territory on 50+ yard plays against WCU and Tulsa, but bogged down in the red zone. These big plays disguised many of the offensive woes. I attribute much of this to lack of creative playcalling. We had some success stretching the field, but when the field is condensed in the red zone we need to be better. I Hope we can be improved, but if Willie is still calling the plays I can't say I have much confidence.

• Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Good, now we will actually move the ball consistently. The few times we went no huddle this year we drove hard and I was impressed because I actually saw offense.

Then we stopped, took a timeout, had a picnic for about 10 mins and then got hung up just outside the red zone like usual. 

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

The mental mistakes on offensive side of the ball by both coaches and players has to somewhat attributable to the complex, line shifting business of our scheme right? So now what if Kinnan and Willie simplify things to the point where a bunch of options are available from no huddle based on a handful of foundational sets? I'm grasping at straws here trying to figure it out but if HS kids can run a variety of the offense we are said to be pursuing, certainly USF can?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

We can set some new records.  Slowest no huddle offense in the history of the game.  Most delay of game penalties from a no huddle offense.

The possibilities are endless!

Edited by ShadowBull

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The mental mistakes on offensive side of the ball by both coaches and players has to somewhat attributable to the complex, line shifting business of our scheme right? So now what if Kinnan and Willie simplify things to the point where a bunch of options are available from no huddle based on a handful of foundational sets? I'm grasping at straws here trying to figure it out but if HS kids can run a variety of the offense we are said to be pursuing, certainly USF can?

Those shifts have been pissing me off since Day One. Gawd, I hope they're gone

• Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Those shifts have been pissing me off since Day One. Gawd, I hope they're gone

Agreed

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

No huddle offense eh?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/coach-taggart-expect-faster-usf-offense-next-season/2211322

"I think you'll see more uptempo and going faster," Taggart said. "I think you'll see us spread out a little bit. You're gonna see a lot of different things about it, but not get too far away from what our guys understand and know what we do.

Good lord.... But not get too far away from what our guys understand and know what we do? Isn't that the main problem? The system our guys understand and know what to do currently IS NOT WORKING and has not worked in 2 years? 

So... we can expect quicker 3 and outs?  :facepalm: 

I don't think a small tweak is the answer, but I guess I should be happy that it's being changed at all. May the college football gods be with us next year..

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

^^^^^^ so not much is going to change. Cwt takes forever to get the call in, not sure if he can go uptempo