• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spread Offense ?

The mental mistakes on offensive side of the ball by both coaches and players has to somewhat attributable to the complex, line shifting business of our scheme right? So now what if Kinnan and Willie simplify things to the point where a bunch of options are available from no huddle based on a handful of foundational sets? I'm grasping at straws here trying to figure it out but if HS kids can run a variety of the offense we are said to be pursuing, certainly USF can?

Those shifts have been pissing me off since Day One. Gawd, I hope they're gone

Those shifts serve a purpose - they tell the QB what the defense is doing... makes it easier to tell if it's a zone or a man-to-man... and if the defense is committing to the run or pass.

Those shifts were not really a problem in 2014.  The few penalties that were called were because the coach took too long getting the plays in.

What we'll probably see is a "No huddle" like Jim Leavitt used to run... where the team lines up then looks over at the sideline for the play... then adjusts.  We did a bit of that from time to time this year, so it's not that much different.

We'll also see more multiple WR formations... instead of the two WR, two TE sets we ran a lot the past two seasons.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

The mental mistakes on offensive side of the ball by both coaches and players has to somewhat attributable to the complex, line shifting business of our scheme right? So now what if Kinnan and Willie simplify things to the point where a bunch of options are available from no huddle based on a handful of foundational sets? I'm grasping at straws here trying to figure it out but if HS kids can run a variety of the offense we are said to be pursuing, certainly USF can?

Those shifts serve a purpose - they tell the QB what the defense is doing... makes it easier to tell if it's a zone or a man-to-man... and if the defense is committing to the run or pass.

Those shifts were not really a problem in 2014.  The few penalties that were called were because the coach took too long getting the plays in.

What we'll probably see is a "No huddle" like Jim Leavitt used to run... where the team lines up then looks over at the sideline for the play... then adjusts.  We did a bit of that from time to time this year, so it's not that much different.

We'll also see more multiple WR formations... instead of the two WR, two TE sets we ran a lot the past two seasons.

In a normal offense with a good QB it serves the purposes you listed. However, not for us the last 2 years. You can't sit here and say Mike White or whoever was our QB even had time to read the defense. It might give the coaches an idea of what the defense is doing, but by that point it's too late. 

I would like to see the no huddle, get up to the line, look at the sideline and make adjustments based upon how the defense lines up. This will give whoever our QB is time to actually take a look at the defense and everything else going on. 

All for more WR on the field especially on obvious passing downs. Killed me to sit there and watch us half the time in 3rd and long situations have 2 WR and 2 TE on the field. Just inviting the defense to blitz and still drop plenty back to cover everyone. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,589
  • Days Won:  424

In a normal offense with a good QB it serves the purposes you listed. However, not for us the last 2 years. You can't sit here and say Mike White or whoever was our QB even had time to read the defense.

Actually, yeah I can. For the most part, the OL did a decent job of pass protection and our qb's had adequate time to do what they needed to do post snap. It was them, or the receivers', where the breakdown usually came in the passing game. The running game, IMO, is where the OL didn't execute on a consistent enough basis.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

Maybe someone here can explain it better, but in the Leavitt days, one of the player's dads try to explain the "check with me" plays while at a Rutgers game.  A play was called with 2 or 3 options (like 2 run and 1 play), they line up for the play, look to the sidelines and, then based on the defensive line up, they signal which option to go with.  Like I said, it was a long time ago and a very brief conversation.  So maybe if Matt is on here, or anyone who played, he/they can explain it to us.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

In a normal offense with a good QB it serves the purposes you listed. However, not for us the last 2 years. You can't sit here and say Mike White or whoever was our QB even had time to read the defense.

Actually, yeah I can. For the most part, the OL did a decent job of pass protection and our qb's had adequate time to do what they needed to do post snap. It was them, or the receivers', where the breakdown usually came in the passing game. The running game, IMO, is where the OL didn't execute on a consistent enough basis.

I don't think he was talking about the OL.  He meant that CWT  some unknown coach took so long to get plays in, and then there was all the motion, so there often wasn't time to do anything other than snap the ball.

I don't think he was talking about the OL.  He meant that CWT  some unknown coach took so long to get plays in, and then there was all the motion, so there often wasn't time to do anything other than snap the ball.

No, he's talking about all the shifts being made pre snap, post getting the play in.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

No, he's talking about all the shifts being made pre snap, post getting the play in.

Ok, but what does that have to do with the play of the OL?

Ok, but what does that have to do with the play of the OL?

Rewind ... He said the pre snap shifts did no good because no one can say our qb's had time to read the defense's reaction. I thought our qbs DID have time because of the OLs pass blocking this year.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

What in the world does our OLine doing a decent job in pass protection have to do with our QB having enough time to scan the defense before he snaps the ball to try and understand if they're in man coverage, zone coverage, if they're going to bring pressure etc which in turn would allow him to audible if he felt it was necessary to a run play, or a deep pass to a quick pass etc...?