• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New DC hired: Tom Allen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Now we need to hire a QB

I hear Johnny Manziel is available.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980

Here's an OleMiss fan's insight from another site....thought I share parts of it:

From what I've read on him I really like this hire and hope he continues his success for usF.

"....Regarding the defense , Ole miss runs a 4-2-5, but we also run some 3-4 as well as 4-3 and a little 3-3-5 as well. He has experience in all 3. I would guess you will run a 4-2-5 if he looks at the personel and sees a guy who can play the " husky" position. That is the 5th DB , but he has to be the right blend of size and speed to play it effectively. Tony conner does it for us.

Tom has worked for our DC for 3 years and he runs some complex blitz stuff that Tom has learned so I expect him to carry that with him."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,521
  • Days Won:  422

Wow the hires under Harland have been very impressive. USF have opened the checkbooks to get good coaching it seems.

And what we may never know is whether this was Tags or Harlan's hire.

AD's hire head coaches. Head coaches hire assistants .... It's CWT's hire until it's not.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Here's an OleMiss fan's insight from another site....thought I share parts of it:

From what I've read on him I really like this hire and hope he continues his success for usF.

"....Regarding the defense , Ole miss runs a 4-2-5, but we also run some 3-4 as well as 4-3 and a little 3-3-5 as well. He has experience in all 3. I would guess you will run a 4-2-5 if he looks at the personel and sees a guy who can play the " husky" position. That is the 5th DB , but he has to be the right blend of size and speed to play it effectively. Tony conner does it for us.

Tom has worked for our DC for 3 years and he runs some complex blitz stuff that Tom has learned so I expect him to carry that with him."

Encouraging

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114

Seems promising. Glad we hired now so that he can begin recruiting. If he is a good recruiter that could go further than our prevous DC who was mostly a NFL guy I believe. I'm happy with the move

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Good hire, gives us optimism to return to the Burnham, or even Tressey, style attacking defenses.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It would be nice if our new OC is a top QB coach/ assistant OC from a successful P5 team

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

It would be nice if our new OC is a top QB coach/ assistant OC from a successful P5 team

Merp. Not expecting that. He might be a top assistant at a HS though.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

I'm excited, and I hope we get back to dominating on defense.

Just an observation about the general perception from TBP when it comes to athletic department employees though.  As a general rule:

1. New hires are amazingly awesome beyond awesomeness and can do no wrong
  2. Employees that are no longer with us are each 100% responsible for the total downfall of USF athletics.