• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What if it is simply execution?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

Would you feel better about the offense if the only problem was executing plays? What if you watched game film and realized that the proper plays were called but poorly executed? What if we have a really good but horribly inconsistent offense? Instead of taking the easy road and calling for Willie's job, tell me what you would do differently to better this team. Let's assume we all would want a better quarterback, what else would you do? I'm just curious. I do believe we have productive practices, I believe that they work hard, I believe that the coaches are adapting, maybe it's just something about the lights...

Edited by TromBull12

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

frog-with-wings.jpg

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

A lot is execution, but something has to come from the offensive playcalling, it is way to predictable.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If we had an average QB that could hit wide open receivers, we'd have a very different record right now.  The opposing D wouldn't stack the box.  The plays were there, we just didn't hit them.  Also, our D, while it didn't lose the game, is still a concern.  Somehow, we make most opposing QBs look like Tom Brady.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

If we had an average QB that could hit wide open receivers, we'd have a very different record right now. The opposing D wouldn't stack the box. The plays were there, we just didn't hit them. Also, our D, while it didn't lose the game, is still a concern. Somehow, we make most opposing QBs look like Tom Brady.

The guys on the radio harped on that soft zone we played yesterday. Even they're frustrated.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I agree if your at the game you see open receivers but our qb locks down on primary 90% of the time.

Also the offensive line needs more beef.

Playcalling is also not great.

We need a lot of help on offense

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Soft zone, amen. That was one of my biggest problems with our D under Holtz, too. I hate to see that lineup, and I want to scream when they line it up for a 3rd & short--d-u-m-b.

[edit] there's some execution problems too, but certain things can't be corrected with better play.

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

After watching the game yesterday I realized 2 very fundamental problems with the offense.

1. Most of our plays are just horribly designed.

2. A lot of the plays are too sophisticated for a lot of college kids to run. I understand why people say it now.

It is not that they are not smart enough. They don't get enough time to learn, practice and be in total sync to make it work consistently.

On every play, EVERY player has to make the same and correct read and then make the same and correct adjustment. If one cog is off, the machine breaks down.

I get why people say the offense is so sophisticated now. It isn't the pre-snap shifting it is the reads and assignments during the play. That is why Willie's plays take forever to call.

So, to answer the OPs question. Get a new, proven high level OC. Simple as that.

Just thinking now...I would go the WVU route. Bring in a guy similar to when they hired Holgerson. If we win, great. If not, you already have your next HC on staff. No extra funds needed. May cause some tension, but too bad.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Coaching is more than Xs and Os.  Most coaches get the Xs and Os.  The good coaches are the ones that can motivate and inspire and frankly I haven't seen our Bulls play motivated inspired football since Leavitt was here.  They look so listless and lifeless.,

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,345
  • Days Won:  43

A lot is execution, but something has to come from the offensive playcalling, it is way to predictable.

This is on coaching. If they cant execute a fake FG when it is right there for the taking, we are not going to win many games. If these players cant make plays when it matters, we wont win any big games. We have not won a big game since Clemson. At least that is all I can recall. What was USF's last big win? I am lost on this as it has been a long time. Maybe we can say it was against Cincy last season but I think that was a fluke.