• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We can win with a poised White

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

you are correct.  We want bigger, stronger offensive lineman.  As beta 4 said, it is a matter of what we do with them.  Taggart's offense, at least from what he has shown so far, is supposed to be a punishing running attack between the tackles.  His offense is a power run game.  There are supposed to be a lot of play action, and throws to the TEs.  In order to be effective this has to have big strong lineman.  

the difference in what Leavitt was running and this offense is we were somewhat effective with smaller, quicker lineman.  He never had all the parts in place either.  He was smart enough to understand that he could win and get to bowl games with the athletes he had.  

Taggart is trying to build that power running game which will need a lot of time.  

I agree, bigger lineman are better.  WVU ran the spread with Pat White.  They had big, strong athletic O lineman.  Go back and look at the Oregon team's OL when they destroyed us.  

My opinion is that until we get bigger, stronger O lineman in here that can dominate, what you saw last night is what you get.  that is his offense.  The rest will be up to how well they dominate.  He has shown no signs of  being willing to take the personnel  that is on the field and spreading them out with four receivers, throwing bubble screens to widen out the defense.  I remember 2 jet sweeps so fat this year with Adams.  maybe a couple of quick tosses out to the flats to get the skill players into space.  Most of the rest of the time it has been straight ahead running.  That requires big strong dudes up front.  

The only time he has changed the offense up has been when flowers came in (well he started in the pistol last night, but it was still running between the tackles.

At times, Leavitt's offenses were brutal to watch as well.  They seemed to be overpowered in some key games.  Rutgers in '06 when Schiano blitzed the crap out of Freshman Grothe.  Oregon.  Even a couple of Edsel's UCONN teams.  His offenses always seemed on or two players away from getting to the next level though.  Too bad we didn't get to see the senior Grothe play out his full career.  

By the way.  Voodoo 5 was in 2005 and that OL was all guys that started their careers as 1AA players for us.  

we all want a winner and glad we are  2-2 so far.  Just not real sold on what I have seen from this coaching staff so far.  

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

Rutgers used to beat us running the same offense. Pitt would beat us running the same offense. Uconn would beat us running the same offense, even went to a BCS bowl running it.

Is it the most exciting thing to watch? No not at all, I'm sure we would all love to drop 42 points a game. Can it be used to have a consistent winning team? Sure, as always mentioned CWT's WKU team was and still is.

However, after saying all that I don't think it will ever get us to 10+ wins unless we get our own Andrew Luck.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

Just a general comment on White echoing some others on there.  IF he gets time it appears he can deliver the ball on a fairly regular basis.  But even last night it appears when he gets a bit of pressure things don't go nearly as well.  I'm sure you can say that about a lot of QBs, but I would not project the success he had last night to Wisconsin or other future games.  As someone said in the In Game thread, Western Carolina was probably a tougher matchup than UConn.  Maybe we can negotiate with teams to play 7 on 7.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Rutgers used to beat us running the same offense. Pitt would beat us running the same offense. Uconn would beat us running the same offense, even went to a BCS bowl running it.

Is it the most exciting thing to watch? No not at all, I'm sure we would all love to drop 42 points a game. Can it be used to have a consistent winning team? Sure, as always mentioned CWT's WKU team was and still is.

However, after saying all that I don't think it will ever get us to 10+ wins unless we get our own Andrew Luck.

Just because teams beat us doesn't/didn't make them good teams.

some of you guys certainly seem to have a heck of a lot of patience before we start to see results:

Schiano's record at Rutgers was a disaster until Brian Leonard and Ray Rice came along.

2-9

1-11

5-7

4-7

7-5

His conference record was 3-24 his first 4 years

4-17 road record.  

Wannstedt took over a Pitt team that played in the Fiesta Bowl the year before. they went 5-6, 6-6, 5-7 before they started moving ahead.

With so much at stake in conference realignment and disgusting attendance, do we have another 2 years before the offense shows life?  

Seems like we are following the history of the BB program.  May end up with the same attendance before too long.  

I am not calling for Taggart to be fired.  i am just making a statement of what I am seeing from the offense and how long it may take to develop a competent offensive line to run the offense Taggart is running.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Just because teams beat us doesn't/didn't make them good teams.

some of you guys certainly seem to have a heck of a lot of patience before we start to see results:

Schiano's record at Rutgers was a disaster until Brian Leonard and Ray Rice came along.

2-9

1-11

5-7

4-7

7-5

His conference record was 3-24 his first 4 years

4-17 road record.  

Wannstedt took over a Pitt team that played in the Fiesta Bowl the year before. they went 5-6, 6-6, 5-7 before they started moving ahead.

With so much at stake in conference realignment and disgusting attendance, do we have another 2 years before the offense shows life?  

Seems like we are following the history of the BB program.  May end up with the same attendance before too long.  

I am not calling for Taggart to be fired.  i am just making a statement of what I am seeing from the offense and how long it may take to develop a competent offensive line to run the offense Taggart is running.

+1

I agree 100%!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just a general comment on White echoing some others on there.  IF he gets time it appears he can deliver the ball on a fairly regular basis.  But even last night it appears when he gets a bit of pressure things don't go nearly as well.  I'm sure you can say that about a lot of QBs, but I would not project the success he had last night to Wisconsin or other future games.  As someone said in the In Game thread, Western Carolina was probably a tougher matchup than UConn.  Maybe we can negotiate with teams to play 7 on 7.

the guy is a true sophomore. foolish to think he should have mastered college defenses and their pressure by now.

UConn has a solid Defense. He played well.

Nobody expects him to look like a heisman contender against the better defenses at this point.

I get you're a bench fan and you take every opportunity to express your displeasure with White but it is crystal clear that he is a far superior option in this offense especially if he has time.

you are correct.  We want bigger, stronger offensive lineman.  As beta 4 said, it is a matter of what we do with them.  Taggart's offense, at least from what he has shown so far, is supposed to be a punishing running attack between the tackles.  His offense is a power run game.  There are supposed to be a lot of play action, and throws to the TEs.  In order to be effective this has to have big strong lineman.  

the difference in what Leavitt was running and this offense is we were somewhat effective with smaller, quicker lineman.  He never had all the parts in place either.  He was smart enough to understand that he could win and get to bowl games with the athletes he had.  

Taggart is trying to build that power running game which will need a lot of time.  

I agree, bigger lineman are better.  WVU ran the spread with Pat White.  They had big, strong athletic O lineman.  Go back and look at the Oregon team's OL when they destroyed us.  

My opinion is that until we get bigger, stronger O lineman in here that can dominate, what you saw last night is what you get.  that is his offense.  The rest will be up to how well they dominate.  He has shown no signs of  being willing to take the personnel  that is on the field and spreading them out with four receivers, throwing bubble screens to widen out the defense.  I remember 2 jet sweeps so fat this year with Adams.  maybe a couple of quick tosses out to the flats to get the skill players into space.  Most of the rest of the time it has been straight ahead running.  That requires big strong dudes up front.  

The only time he has changed the offense up has been when flowers came in (well he started in the pistol last night, but it was still running between the tackles.

At times, Leavitt's offenses were brutal to watch as well.  They seemed to be overpowered in some key games.  Rutgers in '06 when Schiano blitzed the crap out of Freshman Grothe.  Oregon.  Even a couple of Edsel's UCONN teams.  His offenses always seemed on or two players away from getting to the next level though.  Too bad we didn't get to see the senior Grothe play out his full career.  

By the way.  Voodoo 5 was in 2005 and that OL was all guys that started their careers as 1AA players for us.  

we all want a winner and glad we are  2-2 so far.  Just not real sold on what I have seen from this coaching staff so far.  

honestly what makes you think we have the personell to run the spread?

when Bj went down the offense went to hell under Holtz.

Taggart is trying to build an offense that doesn't rely on the QB position as much as those that were run by both leavitt and holtz.

Our QBs were expected to be 85% of the offense under those 2 guys.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Just watched the replay. Feels good to win, but like the WCU win, against a bad team that barely put up 100 yards in offense and threw only 3 times in the first half, thankfully, as evidenced as how they got that late passing TD pretty easily. Obviously they didn't throw because they had no backup QB and needed to reduce the risk to him injury-wise. So, USF stacked for the run, played conservative on offense , and was coached dumb at a couple key times. Like that late first half pass and not using their best RB at first and goal.

That being said, hope it builds momentum.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,699
  • Days Won:  2

Just a general comment on White echoing some others on there. IF he gets time it appears he can deliver the ball on a fairly regular basis. But even last night it appears when he gets a bit of pressure things don't go nearly as well. I'm sure you can say that about a lot of QBs, but I would not project the success he had last night to Wisconsin or other future games. As someone said in the In Game thread, Western Carolina was probably a tougher matchup than UConn. Maybe we can negotiate with teams to play 7 on 7.

the guy is a true sophomore. foolish to think he should have mastered college defenses and their pressure by now.

Nobody expects him to look like a heisman contender against the better defenses at this point.

I get you're a bench fan and you take every opportunity to express your displeasure with White but it is crystal clear that he is a far superior option in this offense especially if he has time.

94, I'll give White props. He looked good last night but FAR superior is a total stretch. Let's hope he continues to progress. UCONN is a bad team.

He did throw a pick 6 last night :)

Just a general comment on White echoing some others on there. IF he gets time it appears he can deliver the ball on a fairly regular basis. But even last night it appears when he gets a bit of pressure things don't go nearly as well. I'm sure you can say that about a lot of QBs, but I would not project the success he had last night to Wisconsin or other future games. As someone said in the In Game thread, Western Carolina was probably a tougher matchup than UConn. Maybe we can negotiate with teams to play 7 on 7.

94, I'll give White props. He looked good last night but FAR superior is a total stretch. Let's hope he continues to progress. UCONN is a bad team.

He did throw a pick 6 last night :)

UConn just held Boise State to under 300 yards total offense.

It was a 3 point game going into the 4th.

Bench has never  completed over 50% of his passes in a game where he had more than 2 attempts.