• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We can win with a poised White

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The "knowing what's coming and not being able to stop it" strategy only works if you're bigger faster stronger and more talented than the other team which we were last night. We're sorely lacking on the oline to do this against more than half of our opponents.

If that's Willie's strategy I'll give him credit for going out and landing that last recruiting class, but this may take some time to build.

That is my point. The skill players can come in and make an impact sooner rather than later. The OL will take at least a couple of more years to get to the point where they can dominate anything better than a bad team.

The win is a win. We take it and move on.

so you think he doesn't want talented skill players?

of course it will take time to build an offensive line.

our last 2 coaches relied on a QB that could scramble out of trouble. they didn't have effective blocking for the most part. Taggart doesn't have that luxury. Imagine what grothe or Daniels could have done behind a bad ass offensive line.

their offenses were no more creative. Hell they ran bubble screens constantly. the only reason their offenses were even remotely effective was because they had outstanding athletes that could also play QB.

how many times did we see Grothe or Daniels extend a play with their feet and then hit an open receiver down the field for a big gainer?

So you think Leavitt's offense was just Grothe running around because he was scrambling? Pretty funny. That was a read option spread offense. 90% of Grothe's runs were designed runs based on what the DE does. That was the same offenses the majority of college teams are running. You only need a few elite athletes to excel,

I would say because of the declining attendance Taggart has less time.

I really don't care what offense they run. As long as it produces consistent wins. I am just making an observation and forming an opinion based on what I have seen to this point.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

WE BEAT A horrible team

the inability of our  to distinguish the class of teams we are playing astounds me

we are better than uconn and that is all we can say this morning

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The "knowing what's coming and not being able to stop it" strategy only works if you're bigger faster stronger and more talented than the other team which we were last night. We're sorely lacking on the oline to do this against more than half of our opponents.

If that's Willie's strategy I'll give him credit for going out and landing that last recruiting class, but this may take some time to build.

That is my point. The skill players can come in and make an impact sooner rather than later. The OL will take at least a couple of more years to get to the point where they can dominate anything better than a bad team.

The win is a win. We take it and move on.

so you think he doesn't want talented skill players?

of course it will take time to build an offensive line.

our last 2 coaches relied on a QB that could scramble out of trouble. they didn't have effective blocking for the most part. Taggart doesn't have that luxury. Imagine what grothe or Daniels could have done behind a bad ass offensive line.

their offenses were no more creative. Hell they ran bubble screens constantly. the only reason their offenses were even remotely effective was because they had outstanding athletes that could also play QB.

how many times did we see Grothe or Daniels extend a play with their feet and then hit an open receiver down the field for a big gainer?

So you think Leavitt's offense was just Grothe running around because he was scrambling? Pretty funny. That was a read option spread offense. 90% of Grothe's runs were designed runs based on what the DE does. That was the same offenses the majority of college teams are running. You only need a few elite athletes to excel,

I would say because of the declining attendance Taggart has less time.

I really don't care what offense they run. As long as it produces consistent wins. I am just making an observation and forming an opinion based on what I have seen to this point.

No I didn't say that. I said it helped to have a QB that could scramble out of trouble. It made his smaller linemen look better than they actually were. Same with BJ under Holtz.

The majority of college offenses are not read option offenses. That's really only a package anyway. Leavitt didn't run that a majority of the time with Grothe. Grothe had maybe 10 called run plays per game. I Believe Tags ran it a bit with flowers. Holtz was a genius in the first half against Uf with BJ but went away from it.

Oh and you can run the read option with big strong linemen. It's the bubble screens that you want smaller linemen. supposedly so they can get downfield to block better.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I don't get it.

would you guys prefer not to have a good o-line?

you do realize that you can still have fast skill players right?

you can even run 25 bubble screens per game like we used to  with a good offensive line. they are not mutually exclusive.

Leavitt and Holtz had athletic QBs that could scramble away from trouble. That hid a lot of deficiencies on their o-lines.

It's about the philosophical approach to the offense. Leavitt used Florida athletes to spread things wide open, and he used a dual-threat QB.

From what I've seen, CWT is going with power football and forcing things down the middle. The QB is in the pocket the majority of the time, which means he's a target. This approach is so reliant on the OL doing really well every snap. True, Leavitt had the worst run-blocking OL ever. But they knew how to pass protect.

How USF beat UConn on the ground is what I believe to be CWT's vision of USF football, straight up the middle and then throw some to keep people honest. A Leavitt team (the ones that used to gain national respect) would have slaughtered that Uconn team by 3 TDs.

Anyway, I'm not moaning; I'm just trying to make a point about CWT's approach to the offense up to this point. He can always change in the future!

I don't get it.

you can even run 25 bubble screens per game like we used to  with a good offensive line. they are not mutually exclusive.

Leavitt and Holtz had athletic QBs that could scramble away from trouble. That hid a lot of deficiencies on their o-lines.

It's about the philosophical approach to the offense. Leavitt used Florida athletes to spread things wide open, and he used a dual-threat QB.

From what I've seen, CWT is going with power football and forcing things down the middle. The QB is in the pocket the majority of the time, which means he's a target. This approach is so reliant on the OL doing really well every snap. True, Leavitt had the worst run-blocking OL ever. But they knew how to pass protect.

How USF beat UConn on the ground is what I believe to be CWT's vision of USF football, straight up the middle and then throw some to keep people honest. A Leavitt team (the ones that used to gain national respect) would have slaughtered that Uconn team by 3 TDs.

Anyway, I'm not moaning; I'm just trying to make a point about CWT's approach to the offense up to this point. He can always change in the future!

they really didn't know how to pass protect. it was the quick hitting passes that allowed them to hold blocks for a fraction of what a bigger more physical line could.

Perhaps you weren't around for the Leavitt era but we lost to UConn in our infamous 2007 season while putting up 15 points. voodoo 5 call.

many people said that Leavitt's offense couldn't play in the cold weather because they weren't tough enough and relied on bubble screens.

Personally I hope Taggart builds a bad ass o-line that can punsih opponents. It certainly won't mean that we can't have fast athletic receivers or fast athletic RBs or even a fast athletic QB. we can still run read option. in fact there is almost no benefit to having a small o-line.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't get it.

they really didn't know how to pass protect. it was the quick hitting passes that allowed them to hold blocks for a fraction of what a bigger more physical line could.

Perhaps you weren't around for the Leavitt era but we lost to UConn in our infamous 2007 season while putting up 15 points. voodoo 5 call.

many people said that Leavitt's offense couldn't play in the cold weather because they weren't tough enough and relied on bubble screens.

Personally I hope Taggart builds a bad ass o-line that can punsih opponents. It certainly won't mean that we can't have fast athletic receivers or fast athletic RBs or even a fast athletic QB

Voodoo 5 was in 05 I believe.  

I don't get it.

Personally I hope Taggart builds a bad ass o-line that can punsih opponents. It certainly won't mean that we can't have fast athletic receivers or fast athletic RBs or even a fast athletic QB

I could be mistaken. we have lost to them in so many unbelievable ways that I get them mixed up

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't get it.

I could be mistaken. we have lost to them in so many unbelievable ways that I get them mixed up

It was definitely in the Andre Hall and Julmiste days 

I don't get it.

It was definitely in the Andre Hall and Julmiste days 

yep. you're right. Grothe was the naked bootleg at the goal line.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I don't think C. Florida cared much when they squeaked out like 5 wins in the final seconds last season then won the fiesta bowl. A win is a win. Nobody will remember the details after a week or two

Edited by Hem