• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who Still Thinks Willie Taggart is the coach of the future?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Do you all forget that in our best seasons we struggled early...nearly lost to mcneese, elon, fau, fiu? This team has always had difficulties with the pansies.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I thought the offensive game planning was solid last night and that's Coach Willie's area of expertise. The quarterback's execution was clearly letting down the game plan. We KNOW that Coach Willie is a great recruiter. But until he can make that recruiting prowess count at the all-important quarterback position, the team will probably underperform.

I was extremely unimpressed with the defensive game plan last night. It looked to me like the coaches had no idea what kind of offense WCU was going to run until they actually got on the field and saw it. Like they were just going to show up and improvise.

I know Chuck Bresnahan's reputation and resume, but I really have to question the advance scouting and game planning effort from last night.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,012
  • Days Won:  38

We won, but QB play was bad.

We have good QB play and this game is a blowout.

Calling Coach T's job into question is ridiculous.

I agree, I think we will start seeing returns on his recruiting classes.  Hey maybe this year if he has to go Freshman nuclear mode again.

WCU has been a bad team, I get that. They have been a bad FCS team for some time. That being said, teams pull turnarounds all the time. I am curious as to how they will fare in their conference.

More importantly, we need to be game planning for Maryland, hard.

If we somehow beat Maryland, I will feel a lot better.  I have this fear that it could be ugly.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,951
  • Days Won:  12

Remember last year we lost to McDonalds State and then came back to put together a decent game against a Rose Bowl winning MSU

Remember last year we lost to McDonalds State and then came back to put together a decent game against a Rose Bowl winning MSU

Well also remember they ran through a couple QBs in our game until they finally landed on the one that won the Rose Bowl.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

There is some evidence he isn't all he is cracked up to be. For instance Floyd last year and Mack today (was a late insertion since Tice was out). Wonder what he is seeing when he assesses talent and misses the mark.

BUT the attitude change from Holtz and the recruiting class are major pluses.

Absolutely spot on. I couldn't believe he named Floyd the starter last season, and Mack showed he shouldn't come off the field unless he's tired from this point forward. 

To be fair sometimes players play better in practice than in a real game. 

I think this team can be ok but White has to play better I am losing faith in White quick.  

That's true, but Taggart had 3 full games of film to watch Floyd the season before he got here and realize our offense scored 1 TD with him on the field as our QB in those 3 full games and it was a rushing TD. He couldn't even take a snap for god sakes. 

give up on that stupid Floyd argument. It's not like Taggart had Tom Brady sitting on the bench behind him. all our QBs last year were horrible. who do you think he missed on as far as naming a starter last year? should uithave been White a true reshman? or Bench a transfer ? or Eveld a senior walk-on? None of them performed heads and shoulders above Floyd.

Start Rocky D f'n Bull for all I care. Matt Floyd had no business being on a D1 football field. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

There is some evidence he isn't all he is cracked up to be. For instance Floyd last year and Mack today (was a late insertion since Tice was out). Wonder what he is seeing when he assesses talent and misses the mark.

BUT the attitude change from Holtz and the recruiting class are major pluses.

Absolutely spot on. I couldn't believe he named Floyd the starter last season, and Mack showed he shouldn't come off the field unless he's tired from this point forward. 

To be fair sometimes players play better in practice than in a real game. 

I think this team can be ok but White has to play better I am losing faith in White quick.  

That's true, but Taggart had 3 full games of film to watch Floyd the season before he got here and realize our offense scored 1 TD with him on the field as our QB in those 3 full games and it was a rushing TD. He couldn't even take a snap for god sakes. 

give up on that stupid Floyd argument. It's not like Taggart had Tom Brady sitting on the bench behind him. all our QBs last year were horrible. who do you think he missed on as far as naming a starter last year? should uithave been White a true reshman? or Bench a transfer ? or Eveld a senior walk-on? None of them performed heads and shoulders above Floyd.

Start Rocky D f'n Bull for all I care. Matt Floyd had no business being on a D1 football field. 

apparently he did as he won the job. I remember the season before where we had "fans" on here who wanted to bench Daniels in favor of Floyd. the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team.  like I said the other options weren't exactly heisman candidates.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

After coming off the year we had last year and playing an FCS team that has only won 4 games in 3 years and 3 wins were against a terrible division 2 program, sorry, squeaking out a come back win and giving up 31 points is not an inspiring win.

I don't have big expecations for the year. I am hoping for 6-6, but this was a disappointing win. It was a win, but I was looking for a more dominant play from the OL and at least an average (even 50% completion rate) from our QB. He was 9-26. We trailed in Time of Possession something like 37:00 to 23:00. I think our 3rd down conversion rate was poor. This is a team we should have dominated. Getting the win was nice, but there is a lot of underlying concerns.

honestly coming off a 2 -10 team last year, not sure why you would think we would dominate anyone. did you really think the team would instantly go from awful to a well oiled machine?

it's going to take time and recruits. with better QB play last night and Breeze calling the defense that he did in the 3rd quarter than it would have been a dominant win. there are still missing pieces

Mack looks like the real deal.

We played a team that won 3 games all of last year in 1aa. Sadly 2 of those wins were vs Div 2 programs. This team better improve or we may go 1-11

again we were 2-10 last year. we have no business thinking we would dominate anyone. not sure why anyone thought  that this was a quick fix situation.

WCU had TWICE as many first downs, 2X better 3rd down completion %, 2X more passing yards, and almost 2X T.o.P.

How that doesn't sound like anything but going backwards is crazy.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

After coming off the year we had last year and playing an FCS team that has only won 4 games in 3 years and 3 wins were against a terrible division 2 program, sorry, squeaking out a come back win and giving up 31 points is not an inspiring win.

I don't have big expecations for the year. I am hoping for 6-6, but this was a disappointing win. It was a win, but I was looking for a more dominant play from the OL and at least an average (even 50% completion rate) from our QB. He was 9-26. We trailed in Time of Possession something like 37:00 to 23:00. I think our 3rd down conversion rate was poor. This is a team we should have dominated. Getting the win was nice, but there is a lot of underlying concerns.

honestly coming off a 2 -10 team last year, not sure why you would think we would dominate anyone. did you really think the team would instantly go from awful to a well oiled machine?

it's going to take time and recruits. with better QB play last night and Breeze calling the defense that he did in the 3rd quarter than it would have been a dominant win. there are still missing pieces

Mack looks like the real deal.

We played a team that won 3 games all of last year in 1aa. Sadly 2 of those wins were vs Div 2 programs. This team better improve or we may go 1-11

again we were 2-10 last year. we have no business thinking we would dominate anyone. not sure why anyone thought  that this was a quick fix situation.

They play in a division that is a complete step down. We were 2-10 last year and have a tough road back, but it's not ridiculous for anyone to expect a much better showing against that garbage of a team/program. 

• Upvote 1