• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who Still Thinks Willie Taggart is the coach of the future?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

Remember Holtz destroyed our recruiting and Taggart is building it back up. If we can see glimmers of hope this year, I see good things happening. I don't know what is up with that defense though good lord.

The QB situation can be fixed worst case scenario, but I don't know how you fix defenders bouncing off of guys or leaving them wide open.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

Remember Holtz destroyed our recruiting and Taggart is building it back up. If we can see glimmers of hope this year, I see good things happening. I don't know what is up with that defense though good lord.

The QB situation can be fixed worst case scenario, but I don't know how you fix defenders bouncing off of guys or leaving them wide open.

Defenders bouncing off guys is just what happens when your defense is very young.  That (hopefully) will get better over time.

I wouldn't worry about the defense too much though, atleast not yet.   There are alot of new players all over the place and they just had to play for 37 minutes / 97 plays.  If you look at the total yards, it was pretty rough, but when it comes to yards per rush (2.8) and yards per pass attempt (5.3), they actually did pretty well. 

I'm not sure if Bresnahan was holding back some of his plays because it was game one, or if he was just off his game today but he did a terrible job setting our defense up for success tonight. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  44
  • Days Won:  0

What i saw was a weak preparation fort the team against wc, I think the coaches focused more on the players and how to develop them than watching tape and create plays to stop there offense. About Mack i think that they need to create for him plays, they where not trusting him at the beginning of the game (not from a talent point but more from a experience point sense he is a true freshmen) they expected tice but i think he was injured. Next game we will see a developed defense like last years. ( A much developed one from the previous game). I don't know what to say about or Qb play Mike didn't show up maybe a couple of nice throws but way too many ugly one's. Sean price is not better than Macfarland and he deserve the starting job. Also our best receiver was injured and Sean wasn't that good maybe that affected the Qb play but still it was too awful to even consider such excuses.     

I hope we have a better defense but #DOSOMTHING with the QB position it is hurting us bad. I don't care get in flowers all i want to see is better QB play.  

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I have to admit I am starting to question what we have in Taggart. Is he much more than a great recruiter.

Let's not forget this was a bad FCS team that was missing several of their starters.

I still question some situational game management that put the game on the line needlessly. Maybe more on the coordinators, but that speaks to me about game preparation.

Losing confidence in Taggart quickly.

Not that it makes it much better, but those guys missing from WCU were all reserves except one.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386
  • Days Won:  0

Didn't Tag say he wasn't going to be calling the plays? I didn't get to watch the game because I was traveling and just got home. So of he's not calling the plays, who F'd this game up so bad?

I didn't think the offensive play calling was that bad. White just couldn't hit any of the receivers. I do blame the CWT for not starting Bench though.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

We won, but QB play was bad.

We have good QB play and this game is a blowout.

Calling Coach T's job into question is ridiculous.

Edited by Hem
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

One game does not a season make.

The defense made huge scheme and personnel changes in the offseason. They need to get **** figured out.

Chuck called it too soft all night long. Not sure what gives on that. I guess he reaaallly wanted to keep the ball in front of his players. I don't think he trusts his secondary yet.

They will look at the film and it will be obvious to all parties that they can't play that soft against an actual good football team and still walk away with a W.

As for Mike White... WTF!?

If he can't feel comfortable playing WCU, then he's gonna be flat out shell-shocked vs MD. Time to let Bench and Flowers make some plays.

when the defense tightened up in the 3rd quarter they shut WCU down. They showed they could play that way. I think you may be right about him not trusting the secondary. he had them off the ball most of the night and WCU took advantage of that.

White had a terrible game. he was throwing rockets out there. no touch at all. hope it had to do with nerves. not sure we have a better option.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,460
  • Days Won:  13

This team sucks

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

There is some evidence he isn't all he is cracked up to be. For instance Floyd last year and Mack today (was a late insertion since Tice was out). Wonder what he is seeing when he assesses talent and misses the mark.

BUT the attitude change from Holtz and the recruiting class are major pluses.

Absolutely spot on. I couldn't believe he named Floyd the starter last season, and Mack showed he shouldn't come off the field unless he's tired from this point forward. 

To be fair sometimes players play better in practice than in a real game. 

I think this team can be ok but White has to play better I am losing faith in White quick.  

That's true, but Taggart had 3 full games of film to watch Floyd the season before he got here and realize our offense scored 1 TD with him on the field as our QB in those 3 full games and it was a rushing TD. He couldn't even take a snap for god sakes. 

give up on that stupid Floyd argument. It's not like Taggart had Tom Brady sitting on the bench behind him. all our QBs last year were horrible. who do you think he missed on as far as naming a starter last year? should uithave been White a true reshman? or Bench a transfer ? or Eveld a senior walk-on? None of them performed heads and shoulders above Floyd.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

After coming off the year we had last year and playing an FCS team that has only won 4 games in 3 years and 3 wins were against a terrible division 2 program, sorry, squeaking out a come back win and giving up 31 points is not an inspiring win.

I don't have big expecations for the year. I am hoping for 6-6, but this was a disappointing win. It was a win, but I was looking for a more dominant play from the OL and at least an average (even 50% completion rate) from our QB. He was 9-26. We trailed in Time of Possession something like 37:00 to 23:00. I think our 3rd down conversion rate was poor. This is a team we should have dominated. Getting the win was nice, but there is a lot of underlying concerns.

• Upvote 1