• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Search Firm Chosen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Does anyone not think Pitino didn't know Masiello didn't have a degree?  I find that hard to believe.  Maybe Pitino didn't think that was a big deal ...

I can believe it. I don't know if he is telling the truth or not, but I can see how he may not know. I mean, my girlfriend said she has a degree, but it's not like I checked to verify it. She went to classes for a bunch of years, now she says she has graduated, then she took a bunch of my money and went to Europe for a few months and came back.

... at some point, this got away from the task at hand. Anyways, if Pitino and him were as close as they seem to be, then I don't see why he would doubt what Masiello told him; that's just kind of how trust works. If anything, his relationship was a hinderance to finding out this blip.

Edited by Raetus

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I'm glad this was caught before he actually started work, but I don't know how anyone can say this wasn't botched terribly overall.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Search firm earned their money on this one.

Should have earned it before they inked a deal, though.

Search firm looks sloppy here.

Why?  From what I read on one of the articles there was a verbal agreement only.  It sounds like this was caught and the deal was nixed before the contract was signed.  They did their job.  Don't go by what Collin has to say.  He is just repeating what someone heard in the hallway.

If USF or any hiring firm rushes into an agreement before all the background checks, etc are completed, it isn't the fault of the search firm.  

I have employed these type of firms before and been hired at two companies through these type of retained firms.  They are usually very thorough and professional.  They don't command these type of big bucks because they run ads on Monster.com and Craiglist and tell the hiring company here ya go..

While I agree to an extent, Tom Jurich makes a ton of money and is widely regarded as one of the best ADs in the country and he didn't know -- nor did Pitino. While I would have liked it sooner, with how fast these things move, I'm glad they found it before the process got any further. If it weren't for information leaking, we may not have even known about any of this.

Not too sure integrity is as high on Jurich's list as other priorities.

1.  Pitino has had his issues with integrity.

2.  Jurich's top assistant (the lady that took over at Rutgers) had been villified by her former volleyball  players as an abusive coach.

3.  He just rehired Petrino after all the integrity issues he has had.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

I agree. Background and degree check should have been done before a contract.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

While I agree to an extent, Tom Jurich makes a ton of money and is widely regarded as one of the best ADs in the country and he didn't know -- nor did Pitino. While I would have liked it sooner, with how fast these things move, I'm glad they found it before the process got any further. If it weren't for information leaking, we may not have even known about any of this.

Not too sure integrity is as high on Jurich's list as other priorities.

1.  Pitino has had his issues with integrity.

2.  Jurich's top assistant (the lady that took over at Rutgers) had been villified by her former volleyball  players as an abusive coach.

3.  He just rehired Petrino after all the integrity issues he has had.

Great points. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I think they owe USF 60k

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

All I'm saying is that I've negotiated a few contracts before and if it comes out that an offer was made on contingency so that the candidate would provide the necessary releases to finish the background check, which resulted in information that did not allow them to move forward, then I don't see how anyone can be giving crap to USF or the search firm for the process. You can debate the PR aspects of some of it, but there are literally federal laws that prevent certain aspects of the background check from moving forward without the candidate's assistance.

If Masiello lied about his degree, state and university policy requires said degree and the offer was contingent on successful completion of a check, then USF walks out of this scot free.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Next time USF should hire a search firm to find them a reputable search firm.

I think they owe USF 60k

Explain that statement.

They did everything they were hired to do.  They couldn't obtain the final records, by law, until given permission.    

The fact that they were thorough enough to actually verify something that, based on his long term employment at UL, a school that also requires their coaches to have a degree, shows a great degree of attention to detail.