• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Search Firm Chosen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

So what was the benefit to hiring the search firm again?  Most claimed it was to keep things quiet.  That obviously failed.  To select candidates?  They didn't vet anyone before a deal was reached.  So that failed.

So the contention (keeping in mind you think they fulfilled all their obligations) seems to be that we paid $60k for a list of names?  If so it does not seem like a good value to me.  As I said on the first page, these firms are often hired because someone owes them a solid or is buddy buddy with the staff.  Certainly looks like that's what happened here, to me at least.

(With that said, I have no doubt that the agreement we reached did have a contingency.  I seriously doubt USF is on the hook legally, but that's really doesn't speak to the point of whether giving a substantial portion of our (already sparse) resources to a search firm was wise.)

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,007
  • Days Won:  469

Search firm earned their money on this one.

Should have earned it before they inked a deal, though.

Search firm looks sloppy here.

This is how it should have flowed and often does in big game hunting for top talent. They took him off the market pending the background.

Can someone get me one of those "Keep Calm" signs?

"Keep Calm

and wait for

Background"

Already agitated fans are making too much of this.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,007
  • Days Won:  469

Next time USF should hire a search firm to find them a reputable search firm.

Don't steal my lines. :)

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

So what was the benefit to hiring the search firm again? Most claimed it was to keep things quiet. That obviously failed. To select candidates? They didn't vet anyone before a deal was reached. So that failed.

So the contention (keeping in mind you think they fulfilled all their obligations) seems to be that we paid $60k for a list of names? If so it does not seem like a good value to me. As I said on the first page, these firms are often hired because someone owes them a solid or is buddy buddy with the staff. Certainly looks like that's what happened here, to me at least.

(With that said, I have no doubt that the agreement we reached did have a contingency. I seriously doubt USF is on the hook legally, but that's really doesn't speak to the point of whether giving a substantial portion of our (already sparse) resources to a search firm was wise.)

Here is the article just put out on the ESPN website. Gives the USF statement plus a little more insight.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10675532

The benefits of the search firm are pretty clear. More than one candidate has been presented. Even though only 2 are known, there are more than likely several more, but since it has been quiet we don't know who they are. We didn't know about the Mercer coach and we probably wouldn't have known about Massiello until Pitino shot his mouth off.

Didn't vet anyone? Now the facts are known, they did a great job vetting him. The agreement in principle was "contingent upon verification". Facts not verified, therefore no job offer. This was a fact that could gave easily been overlooked by a less thorough background check that may have overlooked a degree and just assumed that since he was employeed by an instituton(s) that require their coaches have degrees, that he indeed had one.

I imagine that the search firm also consulted on the appropriate, going salary and compensation for a coach at this level, in our level of conference, for a coach with his experience and accomplishment.

They may have even been part of the negotiating team.

Search firms are used for a reason.

Edited by usfgrad84

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

This is how it should have flowed and often does in big game hunting for top talent. They took him off the market pending the background.

Spot on.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Next time USF should hire a search firm to find them a reputable search firm.

Don't steal my lines. :)

My apologizes 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

E&B still doing a bang up job. Remember we paid them for this.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  156
  • Days Won:  1

If their people are in anyway responsible for the information leaks the only thing that got banged was USF.

Hiring this search firm was not simply a random phone call from Judy, out of the blue.

The CEO has been around USF for a while.

http://www.usf.edu/business/news/articles/140115-beaudine-power-of-who.aspx

If their people are in anyway responsible for the information leaks the only thing that got banged was USF.

What is so difficult to understand? No leaks about anything are coming from the USF or search firm side. Interest in Massiello came from Pitino when he said Massiello came to him for input about USF. Rice info came from UNLV AD.

Our people haven't made a peep either way.