• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dog & the tree

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

It's so easy to just look at the final results at the end of the year and look in the rear view mirror and say how horrible Heath's record was. Funny how no one seems to remember the complete disaster that he took over. Yeah, it is year seven, but to get this thing moving in the direction he brought in a lot of transfers and JUCOs early. By doing that he created an up and down see-saw. That resulted in a 20 win season and then another dropoff then another down year and then an NCAA year then a dropoff. between last year and this year's recruiting classes these are first years he is actually building this thing from a foundation with young players with even better younger players coming in behind them.

If he built this thing with freshmen when he first got here, #1 he would not have been able to recruit this quality of recruit and #2 he would have been gone after year 3. No way this program would have won 20 games his 3rd year and we would still be floundering with no recent success under our belt to work with.

Nice to think otherwise, but trying to build this thing any other way, from where we were when he got here is a fantasy. Mccullum created a mess of mass proportions.

Looking back on the real history of this program I would like to know what could have been differently. No, you were not bringing in Huggins who would have been one and done anyway.

For the record, I like coach Heath and think he should be in no danger of losing his job this off season (unless NCAA issues become major). But, I want to be fair to Coach McCollum too, he left the new staff a pretty good played named Dominique Jones. When I look at popular opinion versus what I think, one of the biggest differences is evaluating Coach McCullum. He did some good things for USF.

I agree McCollum gets a bad rap.

He had to transition from c-usa to big east. huge step up. he didn't have fancy new facilities to recruit with. he had one of his leading scorers pass away from cancer (rip Bradley Mosely).

in his short time at USF he had two of our 3 NBA players on his roster. salomon jones and dominique jones. he left heath with a guy who was one of the leading scorers(Jones) in the nation along with a guy that was one of the leading rebounders (Gransberry) in the nation.

he had trouble building depth here but he brought in some good ball players.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I actually thought McCullum was a decent C-USA quality coach, not great, but decent. His problem was that his recruiting was very spotty. I think he got Solomon Jones from Juco, and Dominique Jones out of high school in Lake Wales, I believe. Other than that, his recruits were pretty unremarkable. If memory serves, he was also able to lure Kentrell Gransberry to transfer from LSU.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,660
  • Days Won:  424

I actually thought McCullum was a decent C-USA quality coach, not great, but decent. His problem was that his recruiting was very spotty. I think he got Solomon Jones from Juco, and Dominique Jones out of high school in Lake Wales, I believe. Other than that, his recruits were pretty unremarkable. If memory serves, he was also able to lure Kentrell Gransberry to transfer from LSU.

Also, got Chris Howard here as a recruit. I think we would have been fine with Mac if we'd stayed in CUSA. He went from 1 conference win his first year, to 5 his second ... and then went on to win 2 games in that last conf tourney we were in .... something the previous coach had never done. Like Mike said, able to get some very good players but not enough to go with them in the couple years he was in the BE.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Here comes more tree time.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

We're not the tree.  We're more like the litter box.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We're not the tree.  We're more like the litter box.

Dogs don't piss in litter boxes. We are the fence. Hopefully at some point we can become an electric fence and make 'em pay for leaking on us.