• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Your daily reminder we could have had Bobby Petrino

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

Petrine won vs Kentucky with a team that Taggart built up from the dregs and he also beat UK last year with. Petrine will bail from WKU as soon as he can, he will not build that program.

We needed one one tat ODU build the program back to a solid base. I think he will do it here

• 4 months later...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

And just like that he leaves to go to Louisville. So I'm glad still we did not go that ridiculous route that many of you screamed for.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

And just like that he leaves to go to Louisville. So I'm glad still we did not go that ridiculous route that many of you screamed for.

Bingo, a perfect illustration of why any school is silly to hire this guy. Thank you for dragging this thread up. I bet Western Kentucky are really thrilled they went that route now. And in a year or two, when Petrino is sneaking around trying to find yet another job, Louisville will be wondering why they went back to him.

USF could have had Petrino, but then right now the university would be going through its third head coaching hire in four years. I'm not totally convinced Taggart is the man to lead USF to glory, but he's a hell of a lot better than Petrino, that is for sure.

Edited by gobulls83

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three, four, five times, and you should put me in a ******* mental hospital."

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Funny that the Ville took him back. I know it is probably on the cheap but wow.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Now, just a question. Jurich targeted Petrino for this hire right from the start. He got his man. What does this say about Jurich?

Keep in mind that for quite a long time Jurich's #2 was the lady hired to be Rutgers' AD amid a lot of allegations of abusive behavior towards her players and assistants while she was a coach.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Bingo, a perfect illustration of why any school is silly to hire this guy. Thank you for dragging this thread up. I bet Western Kentucky are really thrilled they went that route now. And in a year or two, when Petrino is sneaking around trying to find yet another job, Louisville will be wondering why they went back to him.

USF could have had Petrino, but then right now the university would be going through its third head coaching hire in four years. I'm not totally convinced Taggart is the man to lead USF to glory, but he's a hell of a lot better than Petrino, that is for sure.

I am also happy that we didn't hire Petrino, but the only reason people are after him instead of Taggart this year (or in your words, why we aren't already having to hire another coach) is that Petrino had a good season and Taggart had an awful one. Edited by WWMJD

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Petrino would have failed miserably here and been gone within 2 years

In the world of home remodeling, this is a total gut job....tear it down to the foundation and build it back up. This requires more than a coat of paint and some new carpet and that's all Petrino would do and he would be gone in a couple of years once the big schools feel he has rehabed his image.

CWT has been part of this type of rebuilding before, as an assistant at Stanford and as a head coach at WKU, and he will do it here.   It's just going to take patience and time.

I agree 100% with you.  Holtz is the equivalent mold infestation he put this program back 5+ years.  USF football will need to be built up from the ground and it will take awhile.   CWT has done it before and can do it again. 

More like Mold and Termite infestation :cry2:

I am also happy that we didn't hire Petrino, but the only reason people are after him instead of Taggart this year (or in your words, why we aren't already having to hire another coach) is that Petrino had a good season and Taggart had an awful one.

I don't believe that's true. Or at least, I don't think that Taggart would jump at the first decent offer that came his way. Petrino actively sought other jobs every single year he was at Louisville, then left Atlanta after less than a season. That's at least five straight years of searching for a new job while already employed. I get what you're saying - I suffer no delusions that Taggart is here for life. USF already fired the only coach who would have been here for life. But there are still differences from one coach to the next, and not all coaches are desperate to be on the move year after year after year the way Petrino is.

Edited by gobulls83
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,691
  • Days Won:  108

I have admired the L'ville program but this lessens my admiration.  Great coach, but......