• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB by committee

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Actually redshirts aren't applied for until after the season.  All coaches have in mind who'd they'd like to redshirt, nut sometimes the season doesn't play out the way you've planned.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

Assuming they want to redshirt White and then trying to assess the talent level of the other 3.  Am I the only one that thinks that neither Floyd or Eveld would have been good enough to be a backup at Penn State?  So my guess is that Bench is talented enough to start at USF but needs time to learn the system that Floyd and Eveld had a jump start on with spring practice.  I know he didn't play much but he was behind a pretty good QB up there. 

What makes u think Penn St has any more talent than USF. Hint. They don't. If USF had played PSU several times over the past 5-7 years they would have won their share.  UCF will probably beat them this year. 

Since 2005 Penn St has won 8 or more games 7 out of 8 years, several of those being double digit win seasons. Their recruiting classes have consistently been much better or on par with ours. They have plenty of talent. If UCF beats them this year, its because they have a brand new unproven QB, just like us.

I stand by my statement. USF would have defeated Penn St since 2006 or 7.  Forget about "name" of school. 

Bench was only there last year.  Who wins if the 2 teams played last year?  And your argument still doesn't convince me that Floyd or Eveld would have been on that team.  Just my opinion. 

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Here is a article I found on bench from his spring game at Penn State.  Once he gets the system down better I feel he will be our starter.

Perhaps the biggest position battle that fans were fixated on heading into the spring game was the quarterback competition between Bench and Ferguson. While neither sophomore definitively shined more than the other, Bench was quite impressive throughout and appeared to be the more consistent passer between them.

Bench got the game off to a strong start with a long touchdown drive, and although it was difficult for him to find a rhythm with O'Brien constantly changing quarterbacks and other personnel, there weren't many lulls in his play.

Bench saw limited action in only two games for the Nittany Lions last year, but he looked like a seasoned veteran who is ready to lead the offense.

He finished with 99 yards and one touchdown on the day, and while his statistics don't necessarily leap off the page, O'Brien had to be pleased. The Nittany Lions haven't gotten great quarterback play in recent years, so simply playing steady football like Bench did on Saturday is an improvement.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

"steady" sounds good. Hope he brought that here with him, we're not used to seeing that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Here is a article I found on bench from his spring game at Penn State.  Once he gets the system down better I feel he will be our starter.

Perhaps the biggest position battle that fans were fixated on heading into the spring game was the quarterback competition between Bench and Ferguson. While neither sophomore definitively shined more than the other, Bench was quite impressive throughout and appeared to be the more consistent passer between them.

Bench got the game off to a strong start with a long touchdown drive, and although it was difficult for him to find a rhythm with O'Brien constantly changing quarterbacks and other personnel, there weren't many lulls in his play.

Bench saw limited action in only two games for the Nittany Lions last year, but he looked like a seasoned veteran who is ready to lead the offense.

He finished with 99 yards and one touchdown on the day, and while his statistics don't necessarily leap off the page, O'Brien had to be pleased. The Nittany Lions haven't gotten great quarterback play in recent years, so simply playing steady football like Bench did on Saturday is an improvement.

and "steady" is the only thing CWT is looking for.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

At this point, start Bench and let him play. McNeese and Sparty will give him both ends of the spectrum to learn by. If it is even close, why screw around and take valuable snaps away from someone you suspect will be the started by conference time

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

At this point, start Bench and let him play. McNeese and Sparty will give him both ends of the spectrum to learn by. If it is even close, why screw around and take valuable snaps away from someone you suspect will be the started by conference time

I was wondering about this. I figure coach must REALLY be struggling with making a pick, not to have made a selection by now. I'm struggling with whether to take that as a positive or negative, but it just makes me feel like he's going to draw straws for the first game and figure it out as he goes. I hope not...