• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deiondre Porter, DTQB, Jefferson HS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Like others have said. We have a lot of playmakers at the db position committed with more experience. This loss hurts still.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

If he gets playing time, sure it could be great for him.

If not he will just be another kid from the Tampa area who got "wowed" at the last second by a big time school where he was their 3rd or 4th option.

I only wish he would have stayed with us because I truly believed he would get a shot at QB if he showed he wanted it. No chance of that at UF.

USFbulls, if we go by your analogy none of our commits should be with us then, as they all have other offers to power 5 programs. Moronic statement to say the least.

Who are you to say what would be great for Porter lol? Maybe his dream was to play at a school like Florida, the opportunity came across and he jumped at it. So is it shame on him for that whether he plays for all 4 years, plays his JR/SR year or not at all? Please...

I would agree that most of our commits shouldn't be with us. What Taggart is doing shows just how good of a recruiter he is. Take another non AQ school who is 6-27 over their last 33 and coming of a 2-10 season and these kids don't even answer a text message let alone commit. 

Obviously there are other factors. Maybe going out of state is out of the question for some of the kids or grades could be an issue. Every situation is different. All I'm saying is for anyone who A) thinks badly of Porter because of decommitting, B. Think "times must have changed" due to him not keeping his "word" or anything else along those lines is just being ridiculous. The kid got a better opportunity and is going to take it. Good for him.

OK bulls24, I tell you I'm going to pick you up at the airport at 2:00 am.  Some obscure airport.  You call me before you get on the plane.  Yea, I'll be there I tell you.  How happy would you be when I don't show up and tell you "well some good looking girl needed a ride home so, you know, I got a better offer".  Go ahead and tell me it isn't the same.  We have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I don't wish harm to him, but I think he screwed us.  And, yes, I think the same of kids that choose USF after committing somewhere else.

And when I was working I had turned down much more money in a new job for reasons not related to money.  Made promises to family about things and honored it.  Like i said, different generations.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

If he gets playing time, sure it could be great for him.

If not he will just be another kid from the Tampa area who got "wowed" at the last second by a big time school where he was their 3rd or 4th option.

I only wish he would have stayed with us because I truly believed he would get a shot at QB if he showed he wanted it. No chance of that at UF.

USFbulls, if we go by your analogy none of our commits should be with us then, as they all have other offers to power 5 programs. Moronic statement to say the least.

Who are you to say what would be great for Porter lol? Maybe his dream was to play at a school like Florida, the opportunity came across and he jumped at it. So is it shame on him for that whether he plays for all 4 years, plays his JR/SR year or not at all? Please...

I would agree that most of our commits shouldn't be with us. What Taggart is doing shows just how good of a recruiter he is. Take another non AQ school who is 6-27 over their last 33 and coming of a 2-10 season and these kids don't even answer a text message let alone commit. 

Obviously there are other factors. Maybe going out of state is out of the question for some of the kids or grades could be an issue. Every situation is different. All I'm saying is for anyone who A) thinks badly of Porter because of decommitting, B. Think "times must have changed" due to him not keeping his "word" or anything else along those lines is just being ridiculous. The kid got a better opportunity and is going to take it. Good for him.

OK bulls24, I tell you I'm going to pick you up at the airport at 2:00 am.  Some obscure airport.  You call me before you get on the plane.  Yea, I'll be there I tell you.  How happy would you be when I don't show up and tell you "well some good looking girl needed a ride home so, you know, I got a better offer".  Go ahead and tell me it isn't the same.  We have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I don't wish harm to him, but I think he screwed us.  And, yes, I think the same of kids that choose USF after committing somewhere else.

And when I was working I had turned down much more money in a new job for reasons not related to money.  Made promises to family about things and honored it.  Like i said, different generations.

That is the worst analogy you could have possibly tried there... You're going to try and compare scholarships, where schools are contractually bound to these kids and vice versa vs you agreeing to pick me up at the airport one night? Comical....

As for you turning down much more money due to family promises etc. Awesome, good for you man. What it came down to you in that situation you did what? What's best for you and your family. When it comes down to Porter, he's doing what? What's best for HIM. I would be more understanding of what you're saying had Porter been offered by Florida/Georgia/Miami at the same time USF offered and he stayed committed to us up to a month before signing day and then flipped, but that's not the case. He wasn't expecting to get those offers and he got them and obviously very late. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

That is the worst analogy you could have possibly tried there... You're going to try and compare scholarships, where schools are contractually bound to these kids and vice versa vs you agreeing to pick me up at the airport one night? Comical....

As for you turning down much more money due to family promises etc. Awesome, good for you man. What it came down to you in that situation you did what? What's best for you and your family. When it comes down to Porter, he's doing what? What's best for HIM. I would be more understanding of what you're saying had Porter been offered by Florida/Georgia/Miami at the same time USF offered and he stayed committed to us up to a month before signing day and then flipped, but that's not the case. He wasn't expecting to get those offers and he got them and obviously very late. 

It may be just me, but I'm reading that, if CR turned down much more money in a new job for reasons not related to money, it may not have necessarily been BEST for his family's well-being, but that he put keeping promises to his family ahead of becoming even more financially healthy.  Obviously, if they were in financial dire straits, he would have NEEDED to make the jump, it doesn't seem like that's the case.  I'm reading that he chose HONOR and COMMITMENT over "GREENER PASTURES."

My take on this whole thing is that Porter should have done what many recruits do, and DON'T COMMIT to a school until you're absolutely sure you want to go there.  Keep your options open until you want to shut it down and make a choice.  Good for him for having a great season and getting "better offers," but he would have gotten a great degree at USF had he kept his commitment. 

It remains to be seen whether or not going to UF or whatnot is the "best decision for him."  Here he likely would have seen the field VERY often.  Now, nothing is guaranteed.  But hey, this is just another sign of the times, that "commitment" really isn't commitment at all.  Commitments used to not be so easily broken - in marriages, contracts, etc.  Now they are as fickle as the wind. 

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  178
  • Days Won:  0

So how does going to UF equal more money or better options?  This can not be related to either situation (picking up somebody or working at a company).  These kids are not promised playing time, they are promised the opportunity to compete.  Does playing at UF get you drafted before other schools? I seriously doubt the NFL cares about anything but game film.  So yea, why sit for 3 years when you could have a chance to start sooner?  Why go to a school that you obviously were not the first option for?  Does that school all of a sudden care about you more then everybody else or will they always be trying to replace you?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Sucks to commit to someone 7 months ago, only to possibly get him swept by a program that didn't know or care about this kid till recently...and MAY not care, if some of the OTHER guys they are chasing commit (Porter must know they aren't after ONLY him, and he may be down the list of the ones they really want).

But...it's his life and he has to live with his decision, no matter what.  He seems enamored with the SEC offer, but some here are convinced he sticks (most seem to think he's gone).

Either way, we're moving up in class rankings (even tho' one site has already dropped Porter from our list).  We'll survive this...getting Byrd and Adams really helps over come with loss, assuming he leaves.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Once again, we're all pumped if a kid flips from FSU, UF or UM to us, but it's sour grapes and commitment issues when one of ours leaves. Who cares and move on.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Once again, we're all pumped if a kid flips from FSU, UF or UM to us, but it's sour grapes and commitment issues when one of ours leaves. Who cares and move on.

Nature of the beast.  A chick has a boyfriend, dumps him and then goes out with you, you're happy.  She later dumps you and hooks up with another dude, you're pissed.  Same thing here.  If that doesn't make sense to you, you probably haven't dated many good-looking women, or don't have any friends who have. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So how does going to UF equal more money or better options?  This can not be related to either situation (picking up somebody or working at a company).  These kids are not promised playing time, they are promised the opportunity to compete.  Does playing at UF get you drafted before other schools? I seriously doubt the NFL cares about anything but game film.  So yea, why sit for 3 years when you could have a chance to start sooner?  Why go to a school that you obviously were not the first option for?  Does that school all of a sudden care about you more then everybody else or will they always be trying to replace you?

Because 1) the vast majority of college football players will not play in the NFL, therefore the degree matters. UF's degree is worth more than ours (and so is Miami). You may not like it, but it is. 2) Just because you're playing in games, doesn't mean you're getting better. The NFL draft is littered with kids who only started for one year and rode the bench behind good players and for great coaches. Starting for Cosh is NOT worth more than riding the bench for Kirby Smart. I have no problem with a kid who says Florida is going to make him a better football player whether he starts for 4 years or 2 (might not agree, but if he truly believes UF has a better stable of coaches, thats his call). 3) If your football team is worth a ****, they're always trying to replace you with someone better. They call that competition.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Nature of the beast.  A chick has a boyfriend, dumps him and then goes out with you, you're happy.  She later dumps you and hooks up with another dude, you're pissed.  Same thing here.  If that doesn't make sense to you, you probably haven't dated many good-looking women, or don't have any friends who have. 

It doesn't have to be logical to be emotional.  But yeah, we gotta deal with it both ways.