• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deiondre Porter, DTQB, Jefferson HS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Once again, we're all pumped if a kid flips from FSU, UF or UM to us, but it's sour grapes and commitment issues when one of ours leaves. Who cares and move on.

Nature of the beast.  A chick has a boyfriend, dumps him and then goes out with you, you're happy.  She later dumps you and hooks up with another dude, you're pissed.  Same thing here.  If that doesn't make sense to you, you probably haven't dated many good-looking women, or don't have any friends who have. 

It doesn't have to be logical to be emotional.  But yeah, we gotta deal with it both ways.

Emotions are rarely logical. 

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Once again, we're all pumped if a kid flips from FSU, UF or UM to us, but it's sour grapes and commitment issues when one of ours leaves. Who cares and move on.

Nature of the beast.  A chick has a boyfriend, dumps him and then goes out with you, you're happy.  She later dumps you and hooks up with another dude, you're pissed.  Same thing here.  If that doesn't make sense to you, you probably haven't dated many good-looking women, or don't have any friends who have. 

It doesn't have to be logical to be emotional.  But yeah, we gotta deal with it both ways.

Emotions are rarely logical. 

As I preached to my kids:  you can't control how you feel; only how you react.  We can be irked, but we should be cool.  I'm hoping to flip more than we get flipped.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

So how does going to UF equal more money or better options?  This can not be related to either situation (picking up somebody or working at a company).  These kids are not promised playing time, they are promised the opportunity to compete.  Does playing at UF get you drafted before other schools? I seriously doubt the NFL cares about anything but game film.  So yea, why sit for 3 years when you could have a chance to start sooner?  Why go to a school that you obviously were not the first option for?  Does that school all of a sudden care about you more then everybody else or will they always be trying to replace you?

Maybe play time isn't most important to some kids. Maybe the possibility to play in front of 90,000+, play in the best football conference out there, be a part of something with great history/tradition, Opportunity to be apart of BCS games or possibly a National Championship etc is higher on their list than getting on the field right away. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

OK bulls24, I tell you I'm going to pick you up at the airport at 2:00 am.  Some obscure airport.  You call me before you get on the plane.  Yea, I'll be there I tell you.  How happy would you be when I don't show up and tell you "well some good looking girl needed a ride home so, you know, I got a better offer".  Go ahead and tell me it isn't the same.  We have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I don't wish harm to him, but I think he screwed us.  And, yes, I think the same of kids that choose USF after committing somewhere else.

And when I was working I had turned down much more money in a new job for reasons not related to money.  Made promises to family about things and honored it.  Like i said, different generations.

That is the worst analogy you could have possibly tried there... You're going to try and compare scholarships, where schools are contractually bound to these kids and vice versa vs you agreeing to pick me up at the airport one night? Comical....

As for you turning down much more money due to family promises etc. Awesome, good for you man. What it came down to you in that situation you did what? What's best for you and your family. When it comes down to Porter, he's doing what? What's best for HIM. I would be more understanding of what you're saying had Porter been offered by Florida/Georgia/Miami at the same time USF offered and he stayed committed to us up to a month before signing day and then flipped, but that's not the case. He wasn't expecting to get those offers and he got them and obviously very late. 

It may be just me, but I'm reading that, if CR turned down much more money in a new job for reasons not related to money, it may not have necessarily been BEST for his family's well-being, but that he put keeping promises to his family ahead of becoming even more financially healthy.  Obviously, if they were in financial dire straits, he would have NEEDED to make the jump, it doesn't seem like that's the case.  I'm reading that he chose HONOR and COMMITMENT over "GREENER PASTURES."

My take on this whole thing is that Porter should have done what many recruits do, and DON'T COMMIT to a school until you're absolutely sure you want to go there.  Keep your options open until you want to shut it down and make a choice.  Good for him for having a great season and getting "better offers," but he would have gotten a great degree at USF had he kept his commitment. 

It remains to be seen whether or not going to UF or whatnot is the "best decision for him."  Here he likely would have seen the field VERY often.  Now, nothing is guaranteed.  But hey, this is just another sign of the times, that "commitment" really isn't commitment at all.  Commitments used to not be so easily broken - in marriages, contracts, etc.  Now they are as fickle as the wind. 

Hey ole' fashioned boy, why you so mad?

LOL

So how does going to UF equal more money or better options?  This can not be related to either situation (picking up somebody or working at a company).  These kids are not promised playing time, they are promised the opportunity to compete.  Does playing at UF get you drafted before other schools? I seriously doubt the NFL cares about anything but game film.  So yea, why sit for 3 years when you could have a chance to start sooner?  Why go to a school that you obviously were not the first option for?  Does that school all of a sudden care about you more then everybody else or will they always be trying to replace you?

Maybe play time isn't most important to some kids. Maybe the possibility to play in front of 90,000+, play in the best football conference out there, be a part of something with great history/tradition, Opportunity to be apart of BCS games or possibly a National Championship etc is higher on their list than getting on the field right away. 

for sure...otherwise, they'd play for Charleston Southern (or similar).

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

OK bulls24, I tell you I'm going to pick you up at the airport at 2:00 am.  Some obscure airport.  You call me before you get on the plane.  Yea, I'll be there I tell you.  How happy would you be when I don't show up and tell you "well some good looking girl needed a ride home so, you know, I got a better offer".  Go ahead and tell me it isn't the same.  We have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I don't wish harm to him, but I think he screwed us.  And, yes, I think the same of kids that choose USF after committing somewhere else.

And when I was working I had turned down much more money in a new job for reasons not related to money.  Made promises to family about things and honored it.  Like i said, different generations.

That is the worst analogy you could have possibly tried there... You're going to try and compare scholarships, where schools are contractually bound to these kids and vice versa vs you agreeing to pick me up at the airport one night? Comical....

As for you turning down much more money due to family promises etc. Awesome, good for you man. What it came down to you in that situation you did what? What's best for you and your family. When it comes down to Porter, he's doing what? What's best for HIM. I would be more understanding of what you're saying had Porter been offered by Florida/Georgia/Miami at the same time USF offered and he stayed committed to us up to a month before signing day and then flipped, but that's not the case. He wasn't expecting to get those offers and he got them and obviously very late. 

It may be just me, but I'm reading that, if CR turned down much more money in a new job for reasons not related to money, it may not have necessarily been BEST for his family's well-being, but that he put keeping promises to his family ahead of becoming even more financially healthy.  Obviously, if they were in financial dire straits, he would have NEEDED to make the jump, it doesn't seem like that's the case.  I'm reading that he chose HONOR and COMMITMENT over "GREENER PASTURES."

My take on this whole thing is that Porter should have done what many recruits do, and DON'T COMMIT to a school until you're absolutely sure you want to go there.  Keep your options open until you want to shut it down and make a choice.  Good for him for having a great season and getting "better offers," but he would have gotten a great degree at USF had he kept his commitment. 

It remains to be seen whether or not going to UF or whatnot is the "best decision for him."  Here he likely would have seen the field VERY often.  Now, nothing is guaranteed.  But hey, this is just another sign of the times, that "commitment" really isn't commitment at all.  Commitments used to not be so easily broken - in marriages, contracts, etc.  Now they are as fickle as the wind. 

Hey ole' fashioned boy, why you so mad?

LOL

:D

Not mad, I've come to accept it as part of the culture, but doesn't mean I have to like it. 

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  178

for sure...otherwise, they'd play for Charleston Southern (or similar).

I might have my green and gold glasses on but there is a pretty big difference between the two schools.  I see your point Bull24, I would tell my child differently but I understand where you are coming from.  I would want my child to make a decision based on Academics and movement to the NFL.  Starting for 3-4 years allows you to put more on film then starting for 1-2. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,624

Why even commit in the first place if you are going to go through all of this? It's absolutely stupid and frankly makes no sense. Why commit to a team and a coach for 7 months or however long, or commit/decommit/commit etc... and then decommit 1 month before signing day. Why don't these kids just keep it to themselves and announce it publicly on signing day? If you are a hard commit to a school then go ahead and announce it, but this game that these kids play is just stupid. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

Why even commit in the first place if you are going to go through all of this? It's absolutely stupid and frankly makes no sense. Why commit to a team and a coach for 7 months or however long, or commit/decommit/commit etc... and then decommit 1 month before signing day. Why don't these kids just keep it to themselves and announce it publicly on signing day? If you are a hard commit to a school then go ahead and announce it, but this game that these kids play is just stupid. 

You act like Porter could predict he was going to get an Offer 2.5 weeks prior to Signing day from Florida, Miami, and Georgia lol. Yes, you have a point with some recruits who have those offers to begin with and do it but Porter did not have those offers over the last 7 months. Had those offers not come in there's no doubt in my mind he would have stayed.

both sides want to lock in...but without a contract, be free to leave.  Almost a game of reverse Chicken for some kids (and schools).  Plenty of stories of kids who commited, then found that there was no room at the inn after the school found better players.

Edited by JupiterBull