• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deiondre Porter, DTQB, Jefferson HS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I guess times have changed.  When I was a kid growing up my mother pounded into me about being good on your word.  I don't wish this kid any harm or bad, but he has no idea how he (and kids like him) really screws up a program by doing this to a team in the last few weeks before signing day.  In talking with past USF coaches, they really wish there was an early signing period so that if they are the first to discover that diamond in the rough that that kid would be committed. 

Just don't commit if you aren't going to stay committed.  Let the school you are about to screw, by not staying committed, have a chance to recruit other players.  I just don't get this.  Maybe it is a generational thing. 

I agree 100%.  An early signing period benefits smaller programs like USF that do their homework - not the larger programs like UF, which can coast until a month before signing day and still offer and get the kid because of their "wow" factor.  And this is precisely why there's no early signing period in major college football.

Then again, they also said there'd never be a college playoff system at the top level of college football, so... who knows.  Maybe it'll change one day.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

An early signing period would be great and most useful.  

But I find it difficult to tell kids they must be true to their word when the schools aren't.  Most schools won't hesitate for a second to pick up a higher quality player at a particular position if they become available.  Also, if a kid committed three months ago and a new coach comes in with a different philosphy it is something beyond their control.  I realize that isn't the case here, but most of the offensive staff has now turned over.  I can't begrudge a kid for looking at new options available.  

If you took a job, and got another offer a month later at a better company for double the money and benefits, would you stay true to your word or jump?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I guess times have changed.  When I was a kid growing up my mother pounded into me about being good on your word.  I don't wish this kid any harm or bad, but he has no idea how he (and kids like him) really screws up a program by doing this to a team in the last few weeks before signing day.  In talking with past USF coaches, they really wish there was an early signing period so that if they are the first to discover that diamond in the rough that that kid would be committed. 

Just don't commit if you aren't going to stay committed.  Let the school you are about to screw, by not staying committed, have a chance to recruit other players.  I just don't get this.  Maybe it is a generational thing. 

Oh come on...

You may have a point if he's decommitting because an offer from UCF came in but you're talking Florida, Miami, and Georgia? Those are opportunities you do not turn down to go to USF, especially right now. He may have thought he wasn't going to get those big time offers and if he wasn't going to then USF was his best option. OBVIOUSLY usf isn't even close to his best option now which is why his commitment status is changing. The kid got a better opportunity and is doing what's best for himself. Nothing wrong with that.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

If he gets playing time, sure it could be great for him.

If not he will just be another kid from the Tampa area who got "wowed" at the last second by a big time school where he was their 3rd or 4th option.

I only wish he would have stayed with us because I truly believed he would get a shot at QB if he showed he wanted it. No chance of that at UF.

USFbulls, if we go by your analogy none of our commits should be with us then, as they all have other offers to power 5 programs. Moronic statement to say the least.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

I agree with Shadowbull, its a two way street when it comes to recruiting... you win some, you lose some

Porter could be special at the next level....sigh!

If he gets playing time, sure it could be great for him.

If not he will just be another kid from the Tampa area who got "wowed" at the last second by a big time school where he was their 3rd or 4th option.

I only wish he would have stayed with us because I truly believed he would get a shot at QB if he showed he wanted it. No chance of that at UF.

USFbulls, if we go by your analogy none of our commits should be with us then, as they all have other offers to power 5 programs. Moronic statement to say the least.

Who are you to say what would be great for Porter lol? Maybe his dream was to play at a school like Florida, the opportunity came across and he jumped at it. So is it shame on him for that whether he plays for all 4 years, plays his JR/SR year or not at all? Please...

I would agree that most of our commits shouldn't be with us. What Taggart is doing shows just how good of a recruiter he is. Take another non AQ school who is 6-27 over their last 33 and coming of a 2-10 season and these kids don't even answer a text message let alone commit. 

Obviously there are other factors. Maybe going out of state is out of the question for some of the kids or grades could be an issue. Every situation is different. All I'm saying is for anyone who A) thinks badly of Porter because of decommitting, B. Think "times must have changed" due to him not keeping his "word" or anything else along those lines is just being ridiculous. The kid got a better opportunity and is going to take it. Good for him.

Edited by USFbulls24

An early signing period would be great and most useful.  

But I find it difficult to tell kids they must be true to their word when the schools aren't.  Most schools won't hesitate for a second to pick up a higher quality player at a particular position if they become available.  Also, if a kid committed three months ago and a new coach comes in with a different philosphy it is something beyond their control.  I realize that isn't the case here, but most of the offensive staff has now turned over.  I can't begrudge a kid for looking at new options available.  

If you took a job, and got another offer a month later at a better company for double the money and benefits, would you stay true to your word or jump?

Exactly..... 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=50773

Looks like UM is courting other WRs.  They, and UF, likely have a list of potential poaches.

• Topic Count:  2,333
  • Content Count:  21,324
  • Days Won:  10

Hope he gets to play where ever he goes.   Sometimes schools want you but then you are not a fit or the environment does not bring out your best abilities.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He gone