• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deiondre Porter, DTQB, Jefferson HS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

He is likely to make more money upon graduation from USF than from FSU or UF.

Link?

College Rankings

Florida #49

South Florida #170

If they ranked median salary 1 year after graduation USF would be ahead. If they ranked percentage of students employed or continuing education one year after graduation USF would be ahead.

The reality is rankings don't mean a lot. Look at this list that actually takes into account things that matter.

Measured on percentage of graduates employed, median graduate salary, and cost of the education USF and UCF are tops in the state, not FSU or UF. Miami is not included as it is a private school.

Now the FL politicians suddenly find the metrics are "flawed"? Why? Because they are mostly UF and FSU grads and they don't like that their alma mater came up short so they are going to change the metrics to be ten metrics instead of three and make sure UF and FSU are 1 and 2... But what better metrics are there than recent graduate employment and salary data? I bet the Florida politicians just assumed their alma mater UF and FSU would lead using these metrics they set but they got exposed as being universities of low value instead. Props to FIU leading in new graduate salaries. Who would have guessed?

http://soflobulls.com/2014/01/02/most-successful-florida-grads-no-1-usf/

Yeah, let's not let facts get in the way of and old and tired argument with no supporting evidence. let's whip out US Skewed and World Report. That tired rag hasn't been accurate for years , if ever.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

That report shows what I've long suspected and seen in real life:  while UF and FSU certainly have bigger networks, that gap is narrowing, and firms are less interested in the WHERE you learned and more interested in WHAT you learned.  Of course, graduating from Harvard, Duke, etc. is more impressive, it still boils down to a simple decision factor by employers:  will hiring this person help me make MORE money?

I've had Gators working for me for years.  It's not magic.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

I guess Joey is tuned in to the Bullspen.  Here's an article from todays paper.

Committed to banning 'committed'

For whom is a commitment not always a commitment? A recruit.

BY JOEY KNIGHT

Times Staff Writer

commit: to bind as by a promise; pledge; engage

(Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College Edition) The abuse must stop at once.

No word in the English language is mutilated the way 'commitment' is on the football recruiting landscape. Its misuse is the biggest farce this side of a Kardashian marriage.

We're talking interpretation, not pronuncia­tion. We'd have no problem with kids butchering those three syllables if only they meant what they mangled. But if 21st century football recruiting has taught us anything, many don't.

Instead, they casually toss 'commitment' around cyberspace, where it ricochets off a Twit­ter feed, takes a wild hop off an Instagram image, maybe bounces through a blogosphere. Therein
lies the problem: It rarely sticks.

'I don't think it holds much substance anymore,' said Chris Nee, a veteran Florida State recruiting analyst for 247sports.com.

Neither does Plant High coach Robert Weiner.

'Of all groups of people that should really understand the importance of the words we're using, it should be football coaches, football players, people involved in football when you're talking about the word 'commitment,' ' Weiner said.

'It's important that if you say you're committed to something that you're going in with a true commitment. That doesn't mean that it's okay to just move on to the next thing, whatever the whim is.' Yet whims rule the day in 2014.

The scenario has grown trite.

Kid feels love from staff at School A and publicly commits to it. He feels more at home during his visit to School B and subsequently 'decommits' or 'flips his commitment.' Later, he discovers the best chance for immediate playing time is School C, so he reneges again.

'I think in Florida, out of the top 20 (overall prospects), five or six of them have been committed to at least two places,' Nee said. 'Some of them three.' Coaches are equally culpable.

How many prominent recruits are reassessing their options because the school to which they committed just lost its coach? How many other kids were pressured to commit on the spot by a coach at a junior day or summer camp? How many committed then had their offer rescinded?

'It's a vicious cycle,' said Jamie Newberg, a national recruiting analyst for Scout.com. 'And it's getting worse and worse.' So maybe the system can't be rectified overnight. But the semantics can.

Time to abolish 'commitment' from the recruiting vernacular. If society can rid itself of AstroTurf, the BCS and The T.O. Show , surely it can wean itself off a word simply not compatible with big-time recruiting in its current form.

That goes for its preposterous spin-offs as well. No more 'soft commitments' or kids claiming they are '80 percent committed' to a school. Quick, name one coach in America - any sport, any level - content to have an athlete who is 80 percent committed.

'I hate 'soft commitments,'' Newberg said. 'I don't know how that started years ago. I think that should be stricken from the books altogether. Because if you're committed and you take a visit (to another school), you ain't committed in my book.' The other alternative, of course, is radical overhaul of recruiting's structure. These days, the system essentially demands kids make college decisions earlier, compromising their ability to think things out and make a solid commitment.

Newberg theorizes this trend originated with coach Mack Brown at Texas. Around the turn of the millennium, Newberg noticed the Longhorns were securing a full class of commitments by the end of each May evaluation period.

'That allowed them to look ahead,' Newberg said.

In time, virtually every major program had at least a dozen commitments by early summer for a class that couldn't officially sign until early February.

Unofficial visits (taken in the spring and summer) became more important than official ones (taken in the winter). Kids who didn't commit early couldn't be assured their scholarship offer would still exist a few months down the road.

So kids began committing earlier, and the travesty really gained traction. Sometimes, the coach to whom they committed in June lost his job in December. Conversely, the coach sometimes fell out of love with the player or the player grew enamored with another school.

Others simply liked the attention they generated on recruiting websites when they committed and decommitted.

And the commitment was really no commitment at all. Hence, part of the reason calls for an early national signing day for football are gaining steam.

Weiner has a more radical idea: no signing day at all. Simply allow a kid to sign his national letter of intent - which officially binds him to that school - the day he commits with a stipulation the letter can be voided if the coach leaves the school (by his or the school's choice).

'That would end all of that,' said Weiner, who has had only one player decommit during his decade at Plant. 'That would make kids really value their decision-making process more. That would make colleges value their decision-making process more when they offer someone.' Until that revolutionary day arrives, all we can do is tackle the language.

Time to decommit from the word 'commit.' 'I don't want to act like every kid's that way. You've got a lot of kids that are very solid commitments. They stick to their word,' Nee said. 'But there are plenty of kids that turn it into a circus, and that's the part that everybody remembers.'

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

That report shows what I've long suspected and seen in real life: while UF and FSU certainly have bigger networks, that gap is narrowing, and firms are less interested in the WHERE you learned and more interested in WHAT you learned. Of course, graduating from Harvard, Duke, etc. is more impressive, it still boils down to a simple decision factor by employers: will hiring this person help me make MORE money?

I've had Gators working for me for years. It's not magic.

But do you honesty believe USF is a better university than UF? Undergrad, since that's what we're talking about with incoming freshman.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

That report shows what I've long suspected and seen in real life: while UF and FSU certainly have bigger networks, that gap is narrowing, and firms are less interested in the WHERE you learned and more interested in WHAT you learned. Of course, graduating from Harvard, Duke, etc. is more impressive, it still boils down to a simple decision factor by employers: will hiring this person help me make MORE money?

But do you honesty believe USF is a better university than UF? Undergrad, since that's what we're talking about with incoming freshman.

I went to USF undergrad and Florida for post-grad and professional. In terms of perception, justified or not (I think not), Florida is perceived to be a better school. I thought the quality of the education was about the same. But when it comes to academics it's often smoke and mirrors, and perpetuation of that largely unjustified perception by professors, students, alums, etc. Just my opinion.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,684
  • Days Won:  8

The best school for an individual depends on the major. Like for engineering, FSU is way below USF or UCF and UF is probably the objective best in the state for engineering. For architecture, UF is an awful choice. For business, education, psychology type stuff... It probably really doesn't matter all that much. The difference I can tell you from first hand experience between USF and a Top 25 national public university is outside of the classroom. Maybe more and larger computer labs and more professors, and more athletics prestige and tradition. The in the classroom experience is largely the same, I actually found the professors worse overall, at least at teaching.

It really depends on what you want to study. I'll give the higher ranking universities they likely have better career fairs with better companies because I know USF's career fair is quite lacking, for engineers at least.

If you are going to a university to play football, and you are not an elite top recruit and your play time may be questionable at an LSU or an Ohio State, a school like any in the AAC may be a better choice because you will get to do more of what you want to do... Play football. That is more exposure and more opportunity for your career to be what you make it, which you can't do if your on the bench.

And that really is the point and what I learned in my 6 years of Public university education. College is what you make of it. It matters more what you did and what learned and not where it happened. Sure sometimes it can help when the person making the hiring decision has the same degree, but that usually is second to having made something of your time in college.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

JTrue, I may not've been clear.  I said the gap is narrowing...meaning the gap between UF/FSU and USF (and UCF) is much smaller than 10-20 years ago.

I have a Bus. degree from USF, and I'll put my readiness out of school against the same UF/FSU grads at the time.  More to my point, while it does matter the major, in most cases, it's not like Florida is Harvard, and a degree from USF pales next to UF.

I have no doubt the UF degree carries more weight.  I'm saying:  that's lessening, and more importantly, it's what the student learns, how they present in employment search and finally, how they ACTUALLY produce for the employer.  And, the longer you're in the workplace, the less of where you graduated matters.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

AndrewSpiveyGC: Deiondre Porter tells me he will announce his decision tomorrow between #Florida, #USF and #UCF.

Wouldn't that be a re-announcement?

• Upvote 1