• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

i re-watched "the drive".  I still see a lot of the same QB we saw at USF.  If his first read was covered he was in trouble.  He made some poor choices on whether to scramble or not and the speed of the NFL (even 3rd string guys on KC) were not fooled by his moves.

I still say it is a long shot for him to make the 53 man roster.

Not nearly as much happy feet in this game as when he was a Bull. He looked reasonably confident and even took sacks instead of stretching it. His passes were accurate and decisive, which is not the same QB as he was here. It's only one quarter, but so far he looks to have addressed his problems, looked WAY more in control and relaxed than either McCoy or Tolzien.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Actually one of the sacks he took was a smart play. He read 2 options that were both INTs waiting to happen so he ate the ball. No time for any QB to make a third read on that play.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Jim harbaugh preaches to his qbs to take the sack instead of turning the ball over.

So far both mccoy and tolzien have turned the ball over. And not only did bj take sacks instead of throwing picks, he made the plays to keep te drive alive! I mean how many third downs did he convert on that drive? Three? That was the ideal drive for a harbaugh offense

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Jim harbaugh preaches to his qbs to take the sack instead of turning the ball over.

So far both mccoy and tolzien have turned the ball over. And not only did bj take sacks instead of throwing picks, he made the plays to keep te drive alive! I mean how many third downs did he convert on that drive? Three? That was the ideal drive for a harbaugh offense

In the NFL, three first downs is usually at least 30 yards of ball movement (barring penalties and such). If you're able to start at your own 20, you're now at midfield and even if the drive stalls there, you've successfully flipped the field with a punt, even if it only results in a touch back. That's a win for the defense and way better than an INT in dangerous territory.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

Just shows what a failure we had in Skip Holtz and crew's ability to coach our players.

Based on one article?  Let's see how this plays out first.

No, it's based on the fact that he wanted to make him a pocket passer from the outset.

exactly....but in all fairness i don't think skip knew how to run an offense that BJ would excel in.  

but regardless...BJ is still a LONGSHOT to make the 53 man roster for San Fran.  He will most likely be practice squad QB and the niners will turn him into Russell Wilson to prep for their biggest rival.  

That changed this weekend.  BJ the only 49er QB with a touchdown in pre-season and not in scrub time.  Moved up the 3rd if not back up....

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Listed first as surprises of the preseason.

Surprises

• BJ Daniels, QB, 49ers: How quickly things can change in the NFL. San Francisco drafted Daniels in the seventh round, then went full “offensive weapon†with him in rookie camp, using the South Florida product out of the backfield and as a return man.

Two weeks into the preseason, though, the athletic Daniels may be about to unseat Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzein on the 49ers’ QB depth chart, behind Colin Kaepernick. Daniels was sharp against Kansas City in the 49ers’ most recent game, connecting on 6-of-9 passes for 72 yards and one beautifully thrown touchdown. With McCoy struggling to get up to speed in San Francisco, Daniels has taken advantage.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/19/surprises-disappointments-in-nfl-preseason/?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

Edited by SANJAY

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/ex-bulls-qb-daniels-forces-49ers-to-alter-plans-20130819/

Ex-Bulls QB Daniels forces 49ers to alter plans

Former USF quarterback B.J. Daniels threw for 72 yards and rushed for 13 yards in the 49ers’ exhibition victory against Kansas City on Friday night.

The Associated Press

Published: August 19, 2013

SANTA CLARA, Calif. ­— B.J. Daniels’ NFL preseason debut at quarterback has forced the San Francisco 49ers to alter their plans a bit.

The former South Florida star was impressive while directing the winning touchdown drive late in the fourth quarter of San Francisco’s 15-13 victory at Kansas City on Friday night – the 49ers’ only touchdown in two preseason games.

That performance has bought Daniels more time and a more serious look at quarterback after the team experimented with the seventh-round draft pick at other positions and on special teams during training camp this summer.

Coach Jim Harbaugh said Sunday that the backup snaps in practice this week behind starter Colin Kaepernick will be evenly distributed between Daniels and veterans Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien, both of whom have struggled so far in the preseason.

Daniels stepped up when finally given an opportunity at quarterback late in the third quarter against the Chiefs. His only previous action had been a few snaps at wide receiver near the finish of San Francisco’s opener against Denver on Aug. 8.

“Going into what he did the other night, it was very positive,†Harbaugh said Sunday after the 49ers returned to practice. “It was an encouraging performance, and he’s done some encouraging things in practice as well. So, he continues on his process and he competed well and made plays. And when somebody does a good job, you give them a little more.â€

The 49ers have yet to establish who will be Kaepernick’s backup this year after the team traded veteran Alex Smith to Kansas City in March.

San Francisco acquired McCoy from the Cleveland Browns in April, then drafted Daniels later that month to join the competition with Tolzien, San Francisco’s No. 3 quarterback behind Kaepernick and Smith the past two seasons.

McCoy and Tolzien received most of the backup snaps throughout training camp as the 49ers gave the versatile Daniels a look at receiver and running back, among other positions. Daniels finished his career at South Florida third in Big East history with 10,501 yards of total offense, including 2,068 yards rushing.

Neither McCoy nor Tolzien performed well in San Francisco’s first two exhibitions. McCoy threw an interception in each game, completed just 46 percent of his passes and has a preseason passer rating of 25.3. Tolzien, who has thrown 21 more preseason passes than any other quarterback, has completed 53 percent of his throws and has a passer rating of 57.0.

Daniels didn’t follow that trend against the Chiefs. He displayed a strong arm and quick feet while leading the 49ers with 72 yards passing and rushing for 13 yards.

He also displayed poise in the pocket while guiding the 49ers 90 yards on 13 plays to the winning touchdown. Daniels completed all six of his passes during the drive, threading a perfect spiral to Chuck Jacobs in the corner of the end zone to cover the final 14 yards. That left Daniels with a 128.0 passer rating for the night.

“I’m growing every day,†Daniels said. “I mean, I’ve been playing quarterback all my life. So that’s what I’ve always considered myself to be. There was something that they saw that they liked, so really I’m just trying to continue and improve and get better.â€

Daniels has thrown himself into the mix for the backup role behind Kaepernick, who has played just two series during the preseason. Kaepernick has been a standout in practice throughout the summer, and the 49ers don’t feel they need to see much from him until the real games begin.

It’s a different situation behind him.

“Scott and Colt had been getting the same amount of reps (this summer), B.J. a little less than those two,†Harbaugh said. “And this week, plan on evening it up across the board.â€

Daniels says he’s not concerned with where his snaps come. Like most rookies, he’s just trying to make the team. The 49ers will make their first roster cuts after Sunday’s exhibition against Minnesota.

“I’m flying around the field and doing special teams and things like that, so it’s not even something I’m really focused on,†Daniels said. “I’m a competitor. As long as I can compete, whatever coaches ask me to do as a quarterback or any other position, I’m just going to try to master my techniques and fundamentals so I can be a good player and become a better quarterback.â€

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Next niners game will be on national tv. Sunday night football on nbc sunday night at 8

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

Next niners game will be on national tv. Sunday night football on nbc sunday night at 8

BJ vs Skinny/TMac .... DVR set.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Awesome.  Hope he keeps it up.