• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting insider talk on an OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  19

BTW, why do they call it Suitcase City?

Because of the high percentage of its population that are transient.

Side note - that area has really gone down hill, When I came to USF, Fowler all the way to 275 was pretty nice. When we went to a movie, it was the Varsity 6, on Nebraska. There was a large public housing area closer to downtown that was torn down about 10 years ago, and replaced with nicer apartments (with higher rent) .. when this happened, many of the problems that used to plague that area moved up to suitcase city (which wasn't great, but better than it is today).

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  3

I think 'suitcase city' is a nod to the overall transient culture generally associated with that area. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tampa

...as for that crack about being the 9th most dangerous city in the US, don't know where that came from...

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,600
  • Days Won:  424

By the way ... I also want to thank the OP BullsBucsFan426 for sharing this information, when I disagree it isn't with the OP, I am just not sure Victor's vision and USF's vision are the same.

I also could be wrong and ideas could have changed. So, when I share my thoughts on things like this, please don't think that I assume that I am always right.

No problem, and I should have done a little more investigation of Crist's claims prior to posting them. I'm not sure where this trailer park is either. That said, he also thought USF's lease runs another 9 years. Sunshine law request maybe?

Unless something has changed, the lease is through 2016 right now ... with the two year escape clause. http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-extends-raymond-james-lease-through-2016

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  3

...and if we were in Vegas, I'd bet on lease renewal vice OCS. 

But that's just me...  :FIREdevil:

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

Unless money has been set aside from a MAJOR donor, I just don't see this happening before the 2016 renewal date with RJS. I just don't think it's possible to raise that kind of cash so quickly, and with so much conference uncertainty (and certainly less money for us), just seems a bit to ambitious at the moment... That said, they should start the campaign now, even if we do sign another 10 year lease...

Go Bulls!

Edited by jasonb56

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

Unless money has been set aside from a MAJOR donor, I just don't see this happening before the 2016 renewal date with RJS. I just don't think it's possible to raise that kind of cash so quickly, and with so much conference uncertainty (and certainly less money for us), just seems a bit to ambitious at the moment... That said, they should start the campaign now, even if we do sign another 10 year lease...

Go Bulls!

Maybe the big east exit fees...

But I agree, I don't see it happening so soon .

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Go Bulls!

If we have B12 money coming it might make sense without a major donor.  We could probably fund raise 100 million over the next 3-5 years without too much trouble.  Add the new conference revenue and govt funding and we could finance a good chunk.  That could give us a pretty nice stadium.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

For those of you who didn't notice, the map that shutter used is a little old. For example, the new Inter-Disciplinary Science building isn't present, among other buildings.

I don't think the current construction changes much, but that is where the tennis courts are presently.

Also pointing out that the botanical garden is that patch of green between the road and the lake. That is gated and locked when its not "open" (captain obvious, I know) so people wouldn't be able to get to the lake to jump into it. 

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

There might be something to this story. Not saying it is or not but,,  the letter I received the last week or 2 thanking me for my donation states" USF's Unstoppable is the University's comprehensive campaign to raise 600 million in private support".  

So it appears that the school is raising money   currently.  600 million is a lot of doe,  I may be connecting dots here but what would cost Hundreds of millions other than a OCS or other Blds and infrastructure?  

Again cant say that its for an OCS or not, but can only tell you what the letter states. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  19

There might be something to this story. Not saying it is or not but,,  the letter I received the last week or 2 thanking me for my donation states" USF's Unstoppable is the University's comprehensive campaign to raise 600 million in private support".  

So it appears that the school is raising money   currently.  600 million is a lot of doe,  I may be connecting dots here but what would cost Hundreds of millions other than a OCS or other Blds and infrastructure?  

Again cant say that its for an OCS or not, but can only tell you what the letter states. 

That has been going on for a few years. The 600 million is multi year and University wide. Athletics has been tasked to raise part of that goal, maybe 10 million or so. Most of that money supports research in the health sciences.