• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting insider talk on an OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

A couple quick things. First - the current lease for Raymond James has an out for USF should USF decide to build a stadium, with 2 years notice it can be broken at any point in time. Since stadium construction would take 2 years, we basically can get out whenever we want. So there is no urgency to get out at a set year (since even if we had to sign a new deal, the clause would remain). I am pretty sure USF views the TSA as a partner and not an adversary, and the deal is pretty fair to us. In reality the unfair deal is the Bucs lease, and the people who are getting screwed are taxpayers, not USF.

Victor is a Bull, for those who don't know, he married a former USF quarterbacks sister (Anthony Severino, who played mop up duty against UCF in the grand beat down at RJS). Victor is also a politician whose single vision is cleaning up suitcase city. If you look, it is his mission and something he devotes so much time towards. In my opinion he is speaking about his greatest passion in life, which is a safe, modern cleaned up suitcase city ... and not what USF is going to be doing. USF obviously wants the neighborhood to our West cleaned up, so VIctor and USF are partners in this. But Judy is also a very smart woman, and I seriously doubt that she would sacrifice USF's well being to enable VIctor to tear down suitcase city and replace it with things like football stadiums. Of course the great equalizer is money ... and VIctor used to have millions set aside in government money for suitcase city redevelopment, so if we are getting a free stadium, then suitcase city is in play ... but lets be honest ... Victor's clean up suitcase city slush fund doesn't have stadium money sitting in it, and if he spent every dime on USF he would probably he run out of government.

USF fundraising for a stadium would be very public, very quickly.

I think the OP heard VIctor's vision for a cleaned up suitcase city and not a hard plan for the future of USF.

By the way, putting all the rumors aside, I heard of 2 possible sites for a stadium on campus. First is just South of the Sun Dome, the idea here is that you put it where the parking lot for the Sun Dome is, and then build a few big garages around the dome/new stadium to replace the lost parking. Roads get slightly moved to go around the stadium. This location is appealing because it shows off the stadium on Fowler and keeps the athletic facilities nicely grouped together. If you look at the long term plan for the campus, they have a stadium place holder on this spot.

The second spot is just South of the Greek village, taking out a small parking lot, and the tennis complex (which moves just East of baseball and softball stadiums). This location is sort of a response to what UCF did with all the shops and restaurants surrounding their new arena (which is awesome for those who haven't been on their campus in a while). The idea is close to dorms and incorporate some shops and restaurants that are open every day.

These are the only two places I have ever heard a USF administrator talk about putting a stadium, and of course those can change. But places like University Mall and suitcase city have only been spoken by non-USF people.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Thank you for the post, bullsbucsfan426.

All I have to say is that if we are going to build a stadium, we need to do it in a first-class way, not the instant stadium kit like UCF and then see the whole place shake on TV.

This means we can't rush this thing and we need enough funding.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

By the way ... I also want to thank the OP BullsBucsFan426 for sharing this information, when I disagree it isn't with the OP, I am just not sure Victor's vision and USF's vision are the same.

I also could be wrong and ideas could have changed. So, when I share my thoughts on things like this, please don't think that I assume that I am always right.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

as long as usf remains in the minor leagues such an expenditure wouldnt be wise

the program will regress with each passing year we are not in  a conference with the big boys

the quality of recruits will decrease with each passing year 

the gap between us and the big 3 will grow with each passing year

build a stadium to compete in the aac? 

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Thank you for the post, bullsbucsfan426.

All I have to say is that if we are going to build a stadium, we need to do it in a first-class way, not the instant stadium kit like UCF and then see the whole place shake on TV.

This means we can't rush this thing and we need enough funding.

first class? never

usf is in a second class conference

all bets would  be off if usf got into a big boy conference

Edited by smazza

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

As to #2:

1. Adventist spent about $14 million recently to gain an affiliation with the USF Cardiac services

2. The CMO of FHT is an USF Alumni who is pushing for more integration with USF Health

3. Adventist does not have 1 teaching institution nation wide; this would be the crown jewel

4. Adventist is making a play to purchase Tampa General Hospital; their new CEO was hand picked by Dean Klasko from Shands JAX; his specialty is mergers

5. They want the FHT campus to be a part of the USF Health area

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Dual use with a baseball team? No thanks on that one.

Would have all the bells and whistles though

Also would bring traffic and entertainment dollars to USF area

Not sure you aren't right though, depends if USF is seeking something flimsy

Go Bulls!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

A few bits of information.

The Tampa Sports Authority is a commision made up of politicians or people appointed by politicians. Ken Hagan is the Chairman of the BOCC and he's on the TSA board. He also has a HUGE hadron for the Rays moving to Tampa.

The inprovement of suticase city is indeed Victor Crist's passion, so is his name being on everything. There's a short driveway just West of Muller Elementary named Victor Crist Dr.

With Hagan's passion for the rays and Crist's passion for the university area, I would not doubt that discussions have been going to behind closed doors for quite sometime about the combination of the 2.

Just my somewhat informed opinion.

• Topic Count:  2,330
  • Content Count:  21,286
  • Days Won:  10

can't believe steve is a fan.   

USF can build a quality stadium.  Will just take time and need to be done in phases.  

Edited by Rizman

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

A deal with the B12 mandating USF having a stadium is the only way I can see this happening, but B12 + govt funding + donor drive makes a lot of sense.  For a quality OCS we'll need all 3.

Edited by Bull Martin