• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting insider talk on an OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

can't believe steve is a fan.   

USF can build a quality stadium.  Will just take time and need to be done in phases.  

It's not Steve's fault; he asked for a Hungarian Hammer last night but ended up getting a Milwaukee Mudslide

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

A couple quick things. First - the current lease for Raymond James has an out for USF should USF decide to build a stadium, with 2 years notice it can be broken at any point in time. Since stadium construction would take 2 years, we basically can get out whenever we want. So there is no urgency to get out at a set year (since even if we had to sign a new deal, the clause would remain). I am pretty sure USF views the TSA as a partner and not an adversary, and the deal is pretty fair to us. In reality the unfair deal is the Bucs lease, and the people who are getting screwed are taxpayers, not USF.

Victor is a Bull, for those who don't know, he married a former USF quarterbacks sister (Anthony Severino, who played mop up duty against UCF in the grand beat down at RJS). Victor is also a politician whose single vision is cleaning up suitcase city. If you look, it is his mission and something he devotes so much time towards. In my opinion he is speaking about his greatest passion in life, which is a safe, modern cleaned up suitcase city ... and not what USF is going to be doing. USF obviously wants the neighborhood to our West cleaned up, so VIctor and USF are partners in this. But Judy is also a very smart woman, and I seriously doubt that she would sacrifice USF's well being to enable VIctor to tear down suitcase city and replace it with things like football stadiums. Of course the great equalizer is money ... and VIctor used to have millions set aside in government money for suitcase city redevelopment, so if we are getting a free stadium, then suitcase city is in play ... but lets be honest ... Victor's clean up suitcase city slush fund doesn't have stadium money sitting in it, and if he spent every dime on USF he would probably he run out of government.

USF fundraising for a stadium would be very public, very quickly.

I think the OP heard VIctor's vision for a cleaned up suitcase city and not a hard plan for the future of USF.

By the way, putting all the rumors aside, I heard of 2 possible sites for a stadium on campus. First is just South of the Sun Dome, the idea here is that you put it where the parking lot for the Sun Dome is, and then build a few big garages around the dome/new stadium to replace the lost parking. Roads get slightly moved to go around the stadium. This location is appealing because it shows off the stadium on Fowler and keeps the athletic facilities nicely grouped together. If you look at the long term plan for the campus, they have a stadium place holder on this spot.

The second spot is just South of the Greek village, taking out a small parking lot, and the tennis complex (which moves just East of baseball and softball stadiums). This location is sort of a response to what UCF did with all the shops and restaurants surrounding their new arena (which is awesome for those who haven't been on their campus in a while). The idea is close to dorms and incorporate some shops and restaurants that are open every day.

These are the only two places I have ever heard a USF administrator talk about putting a stadium, and of course those can change. But places like University Mall and suitcase city have only been spoken by non-USF people.

Putting the stadium in the current athletic village of the other sports facilities makes a ton of sense.  You move the earth around to get it in the right spot, because of the size of the investment you want the best possible outcome you can get.  I disagree with any compromises on location for the variety of reasons that have been floated.

The OCS needs a high profile and preferably high dollar donor champion.  Someone to get the money flowing from others.  If this thing is anything less than a showcase facility, in a highly visible and accessible location, it becomes harder to sell.  If one exists, Id be interested to see the newly configured plan for the area next to the dome and Fowler Ave.  The entrance across from MOSI needs a big facelift if this happens. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

There's no trailer park off 131st anywhere near BBD that I know of so I have no idea where this "top option" is located .... and it wouldn't matter anyway, IMO. An OCS that's not really on campus defeats the purpose of the atmosphere trying to be achieved by having one.

I could be wrong but they could be referring to the buildings located literally right next to the VA. Its the intersection of 121st and 28th... 

google map/people view "13102 North 28th Street, University, Florida, United States" and you might see what I mean.

The legitimacy behind that would be the stadium would be right next to the UATC, but I can't begin to imagine that would make any sense, given that the stadium would then be right next to a hospital with sickly patients

I think this is the site you're talking about at 131st and 28th.

ocssite_zps3cfc8268.jpg

The buildings on the left are modular offices which would still have wheels on them but the 2 story building on the right is obviously permanent ... and I don't think it's zoned residential. There's also a retention pond on that block.  Looking on Google last night, I didn't see any trailer park near 131st until you got to Nebraska Ave (it would be visible from I-275, though). There is absolutely no spot west of BBD in that area that makes any sense at all.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

If people are sharing info I'd like to too... I'm in the MSW program... And we're having a guest come in, Gen. Steele, who is going to talk about a joint VA-USF building that is being developed that will go up on the intersection of fowler and BBD... It's going to be a catch all building for research involving Veterans.. So that space is out for a stadium.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

Mandatory OCS picture... Orange Bowl on USF campus, to scale.

Rb83KHVl.jpg

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Stadiums bring lots of issues. Look at the naming rights fiasco for FAU. First they wanted $1 mil/year. Then they dropped it and a few years later they finally got half that. And who is it with? A corporation THAT BUILDS AND RUNS PRISONS! LOL  These are private prisons in the US and other countries so I guess their commercials probably involve someone getting waterboarding and safe ways to pick up soap that's been dropped in the shower. Just saying, leasing cuts out a lot of headaches and problems.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

right next to a hospital with sickly patients.

Is there another kind of Hospital?

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Mandatory OCS picture... Orange Bowl on USF campus, to scale.

Rb83KHVl.jpg

You think someone can drag the Orange Bowl all the way up I-75?  I thought someone tore it down?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Stadiums bring lots of issues. Look at the naming rights fiasco for FAU. First they wanted $1 mil/year. Then they dropped it and a few years later they finally got half that. And who is it with? A corporation THAT BUILDS AND RUNS PRISONS! LOL  These are private prisons in the US and other countries so I guess their commercials probably involve someone getting waterboarding and safe ways to pick up soap that's been dropped in the shower. Just saying, leasing cuts out a lot of headaches and problems.

Two words:  BullCatraz.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Just my own personal opinion, but I think the stadium should be connected to, or at least a VERY SHORT distance from, all of the other athletic facilities.

Certainly not on the other side of the campus.