• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting insider talk on an OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

any word on if the lotto winner is associated with USF?  *crossing fingers*

Does FL require you to claim your prize publicly?

Is Z'Hills still full of trailer trash?

Full Disclosure: I used to live in a trailer off of Morris Bridge myself.

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Everyone in athletics I have spoken to said they would be looking for 50k minimum capacity, with option to grow to 70 with add on. They would require numerous suites for sponsors, as well as a full club level seating option. I have heard that based on construction costs, and to get something of that caliber it would require at least $200M to build. They would want a large portion in committed donors, they would then sell bonds. Also heard from some pretty high ups that they would not settle for a UCF like stadium just to say we have an OCS. They want to bring people onto campus but not that badly and not at the sacrifice of the athletes or fans. I hope they stick to their guns on that and do not compromise. We may be headed for a mid major conference, but that doesn't mean we have to play or act like we belong there. USF has always done it the right way, and we should do the same in this instance.

Anyone mention a time frame?
These conversations took place about 12 months ago. At that time they were shooting for a start date for 5 years out, with the assumption fund raising would go well and questions about the economic rebound. They said it wouldn't work without some big name donors in the area, as well as a corporate sponsor with naming rights. "Outback" was thrown around.

My guess is that this conference realignment threw a wrench into any plans. At least for the near term. Think about it, a lesser conference playing the Tulsa's of the world won't garner much from a TV Revenue standpoint. That will seriously challenge the go forward steps.

Only time will telll.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Texas A&M is dropping 425 million to expand and upgrade our current stadium. The cost for just renovations and expansion is really mind blowing to me. How UCF entire stafium cost only 50 million is also kind if mind blowing cheap.

Stadium prices vary a lot.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  818
  • Days Won:  2

Let's hope the Zepherhills $600 mill lottery winner is Alumni

Yes!!!

But i believe an individual can form a corporation or trust to claim the prize, as a tax shelter. if that's the case, you might just see the winner is named something like "The We're Rich Revocable Trust".

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

The old Orange Bowl and RJS have temporary seating. The OB set up bleachers for FSU, Florida and whoever else made it a big game. Something we may want to consider. Attendance outside of The Swamp is variable in Florida.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

Let's hope the Zepherhills $600 mill lottery winner is Alumni

Yes!!!

But i believe an individual can form a corporation or trust to claim the prize, as a tax shelter. if that's the case, you might just see the winner is named something like "The We're Rich Revocable Trust".

Wouldn't there have to be a trustee?

• Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,773

Yeah, but the NAME of the trustee must be made public. Basically, in Florida, you can't remain anonymous, even if the funds are paid to a trust. From the last Florida powerball round...

After Powerball's last big hit, $260 million June 2 in Ohio, the winner chose to remain anonymous, setting up a blind trust through a lawyer. That's legal in Ohio. Florida law doesn't allow that. Which means whoever bought the winning $73.8 Powerballticket Saturday at a Publix in Royal Palm Beach can be gleaned via public record. In Florida, a winner cannot claim a prize in the name of a legal entity such as a blind trust. Although lottery prizes can be claimed in the name of a trust (by the trustee), the Florida Lottery requires that a copy of the trust document be filed with the claim.

The names of all beneficiaries of such Trusts are considered public records and are disclosed in the news release issued by the Lottery.

"This is done in order to maintain public confidence in the integrity of Lottery operations and provides proof that the Lottery is not concealing the identity of interested parties," says the Lottery's Barreiros, communications director. It's also normal that big winners take a few days to claim their jackpot, lining up attorneys and other matters, Barreiros said. 

http://blogs.trb.com/entertainment/news/gambling/blog/2010/07/powerball_winner_and_florida_p.html

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

A few thoughts. While I can appreciate the OP's post, most of it seems far fetched and near fantasy.

UCH/Adventist was a recent purchase. Adventist has 30+ hospitals in the US and 30k employees plus.... USF is tiered to TGH and if you haven't seen the USF Health buildings on Davis Island, you probably are not aware. Not saying it couldn't change, but unlikely. Too much money into that relationship and has been favorable for TGH and USF. Don't see that happening.

As for fund raising. As long as we are in this thing they call AAC, there isn't the kind of draw or money to get donors to do anything. We need to focus on a real conference first, one of the Big 5, with a real TV contract, and real revenues, before we can have that conversation.

Next is the fallacy of building a stadium to save money due to our current RJS/TSA contract. So we should spend $200M+ to save a couple of million a year? I am no accountant, but seems the ROI on that one is way, way, way into the future.

As far as other improvements and changes to the USF campus. We cannot afford, given the current USF Athletics budget, donor base, and AAC revenue expectations, to afford an OCS. What makes anyone think we should spend another $3-5M reconfiguring the entire campus? Doubtful that would happen.

Not trying to pick apart the OP. I am sure you posted in good faith. But there are more holes in this plan than one can count.

There are prolly 50 schools in the country right now that have less of all these attributes than we do but yet have recently built or are building an OCS. Hardly a rational for this being an Impossibility. I usually don't wade into the OCS debate but this agument is a complete red herring. The income stream vs. Ray Jay is just throwing numbers out. An OCS would generate far more than 1-2 MM a year. A game with 50k people spending an avg of 50 dollars each generates $2.5 Million in revenues with virtually no cost. Add special events(concerts, etc)  and an annual income of 1-2 MM a year is ridiculous. Your argument seems to have far more holes than any plan proposed. I mean we didn't spend all we have spent on new facilities so that we could languish as an AAC school. In for a penny in for a pound.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

CMO: Chief Medical Officer

FHT: Florida Hospital Tampa (Adventist is the parent company)

CEO: Chief Executive Officer

JAX: Jacksonville, FL

Sorry about that....

and USF,  The University of Southern Florida???? University of San Francisco? University of Saint Francis? D*mn those Catholics....

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

Yeah, but the NAME of the trustee must be made public. Basically, in Florida, you can't remain anonymous, even if the funds are paid to a trust. From the last Florida powerball round...

After Powerball's last big hit, $260 million June 2 in Ohio, the winner chose to remain anonymous, setting up a blind trust through a lawyer. That's legal in Ohio. Florida law doesn't allow that. Which means whoever bought the winning $73.8 Powerballticket Saturday at a Publix in Royal Palm Beach can be gleaned via public record. In Florida, a winner cannot claim a prize in the name of a legal entity such as a blind trust. Although lottery prizes can be claimed in the name of a trust (by the trustee), the Florida Lottery requires that a copy of the trust document be filed with the claim.

The names of all beneficiaries of such Trusts are considered public records and are disclosed in the news release issued by the Lottery.

"This is done in order to maintain public confidence in the integrity of Lottery operations and provides proof that the Lottery is not concealing the identity of interested parties," says the Lottery's Barreiros, communications director. It's also normal that big winners take a few days to claim their jackpot, lining up attorneys and other matters, Barreiros said. 

http://blogs.trb.com/entertainment/news/gambling/blog/2010/07/powerball_winner_and_florida_p.html

That's what I thought.