• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting insider talk on an OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

My post earlier I said that the USF/VA are going to put up a building on Fowler and BBD this website should show you what I was talking about. This is the reason the stadium won't be there. This would be one of the best things to ever happen to research on Veterans and Veteran's rehabilitation physically and mentally... check it out... I'll also add this to the USF stuff board... can't remember the exact name... just remember people saying something about putting the OCS there...

http://www.research.usf.edu/vri/

This will be in the USF Research Park.

The park resides on both sides of Fowler bordering BBD.

This park is VERY important to USF as it is crucial to its Research status now and the future.  There has never been any plans to locate the stadium here.

Hence, it is normally "greyed-out" on all Master Plan updates.

The only semi-official plans regarding the stadium have been locating it south of the Sun Dome in the former Master Plan (you can actually see the stadium outline):

The 2nd option (which I am unable to find) was putting it a bit north, between the Track and Field stadium, and Holly Drive, where the tennis courts are.

And no,the Track and Field stadium will not be town down as they consider it a desirable asset to have.  This is why that area has no proposed buildings on the newest master plan (and notice how the rest of the campus is practically packed.)  While the tennis courts are shown to be moved to the SE portion of campus to open the area:

Also, the area in the NE corner of campus is off limits, as it is considered protected wet-lands.

The only semi-official plans regarding the stadium have been locating it south of the Sun Dome in the former Master Plan (you can actually see the stadium outline):

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see the stadium outline but where the gray parking lot s/o the Sundome is would be a perfect spot, especially if those structres immediately west of it and the Dome are parking garages ..

In the top image; right through the sun dome parking lot and extending a small bit south there is a dashed grey line outlining a stadium.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,598
  • Days Won:  424

Okay, when I squint I can see it. Now that I really look at it, can a stadium fit there??

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Okay, when I squint I can see it. Now that I really look at it, can a stadium fit there??

It's almost EXACTLY the same size as the Carrier Dome. I'm guessing that might have been the model. With as much rain as Tampa gets, a domed stadium makes sense.

Here's an image I made a couple of years back on this topic.

The blue bar is 100 yards, and the inner red dashes represent the entire field area

post-9176-0-31147300-1369410670_thumb.jp

Edited by charsibb

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,598
  • Days Won:  424

It's almost EXACTLY the same size as the Carrier Dome. I'm guessing that might have been the model. With as much rain as Tampa gets, a domed stadium makes sense.

The blue bar is 100 yards, and the inner red dashes represent the entire field area

Interesting ... but there's no way we need a domed stadium for football. Weather has had very little impact on our game over the years, much less the added expense .... 

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  2

And the domed vs un-domed OCS discussion begins.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

OCS Vs DOCS, so it begins

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Interesting ... but there's no way we need a domed stadium for football. Weather has had very little impact on our game over the years, much less the added expense .... 

It could also be used for graduation, hurricane shelter, etc.

Personally, I would prefer a DOCS to an OCS, but hell, beggars can't be choosers, right?

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Note that the map with the "stadium outline" was made before the Muma Center was built.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Cmon now, we all know it's going to be a retractable dome. First in college football, in the papers everywhere.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I would only want an open air stadium.  Football should be played in the heat, cold, mud, rain, and (although we don't get it here) snow.

Go Bulls!