• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting insider talk on an OCS

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

This is our  new stadium just need seats. LOL :popcorn: or pull out your lawn chairs. That is all.

new-now-frank-morsani-football-complex-m

Would that popcorn be included in the price of a ticket?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Yes, but no butter... That's extra

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I'm not a guy that asks for links.  But USF's Athletic Dept MAKES money?  As in Revenue minus Expenses = Profit?  I don't know why, but I thought we spent pretty much every dollar that we brought in.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

For 2011, per the above site, we had a total revenue of $41,948,123, with total expenses of $43,494,246.

My point was a counterpoint to the other poster who had flawed logic. His logic failed to mention that USF is making revenues today from ticket sales and from parking. Yes the TSA and Glazers make money but those revenues lost are much smaller than paying debt and expecting incremental donor funds for OCS. The ROI on that would be measured in decades, not years.

Again, it is the difference between buying a house or renting an apartment. Right now, while we are not gaining equity, we also are not paying out over many, many years. To take that a step further, we are renting a $500M apartment, but would buy a $200M house and pay out for 30 years. ROI is waaayyyyy out in the future.

Okay. Just read it literally.  It is an accountant's brain at work here.  Big difference between revenue and profit.

and I have a business background and read it the same way. Read his post and he ignores gate receipts and parking in his equation. That was all I was citing.

Reality is the Athletic Assn's budget was like 23 or 24 M 5 or 6 years ago. Now it is 43. If we bring in more, we will spend more. I suspect we will bring in less this year, but many of our costs are nearly fixed (though we might save on coaching with the changes even with Skip's buyout. This AAC stuff is crap and might set USF back 5 or 6 years.

Anyone who would press for an OCS right now while we regressed to a mid major once again would be insane.

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

This is our  new stadium just need seats. LOL :popcorn: or pull out your lawn chairs. That is all.

new-now-frank-morsani-football-complex-m

Need to drop more dirt on there for bigger berms. Then it could hold our newly revised fan base.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Good evening everyone. I know everyone has talked about having an on campus stadium, and everyone has their take as to where it should be, how to build it, etc. That's fine. I'm just bringing some facts to light which I learned today from talking to Victor Crist, who's on the Hillsborough County Commission and previously served as the State Senator representing the USF area. 

1. Crist has worked very closely with Genshaft on a number of issues regarding the USF area and an OCS. He says that they do not plan on renewing the lease at Raymond James when it ends, mostly because of how unfavorable the terms are to USF. So we can expect an on campus stadium within the next decade. If this is the case, I'd imagine fundraising will start seriously within the next one to two years, if it hasn't already. I can't imagine they'd be waiting any longer than that if they want to build a high quality facility (as opposed to some other stadiums in Florida we can name).  Seeing as the lease is due to expire in 2016 (unless my information is wrong), the 24 month option to get out of the lease would be due sometime next year if these plans are serious. 

2. Genshaft's top priority is to create a "Driveway to USF" via the area around the VA and Suitcase City. The plan is to phase out the Fowler Avenue entrance as a main entrance to the University for visitors, and to move it towards 131st Street, where USF Health and our other scientific research facilities are located. The goal for her is to give the impression that whichever side of Bruce B. Downs you're on, you are still at USF-one of the more minor steps you may have already seen towards this goal is the USF flags on the light poles around campus, etc. If anyone hasn't noticed, the VA is steadily building all the way down to 22nd street as well as Fletcher-with the health sciences facilities at USF on the other side, the idea that this is USF will be reinforced. Pure speculation on my part, but you have to wonder if the College of Medicine will start looking at trying to move into Florida Hospital (formerly UCH) across the street as their teaching facility. The on campus stadium would be the crown jewel for the University area, and it would probably be one of the last buildings built in the area. Walmart is also building what you could call a "gourmet" Walmart in the area. As you can tell, the county and the city are pretty keen on cleaning up Suitcase city. 

3. Right now the old soccer and track stadium isn't considered a priority spot for an OCS. Crist stated that the land around it is considered too small to support a football stadium. In addition, USF is keen to ensure that the stadium can be seen from 275-on campus stadiums are meant to show off a university and would be a big marker telling people "Here is USF". Demolishing University Mall is highly unlikely as well-it's commercial property and as such would be a major blow to Hillsborough County tax rolls if the land was converted to a stadium. The top option for locating the stadium is the trailer park in the area around 131st. It's residential zoning, and would be the cheapest to roll off the tax rolls-as well as much less costly, since the mobile homes can be moved elsewhere. A second option, and this is more for Crist than for Dr. Genshaft, is to locate the stadium closer to Busch Gardens and make it a joint use stadium with the Rays. It's not considered particularly likely at this point either, especially seeing the land they want to use is a Historic Site and would be difficult to get permission for construction. 

That's pretty much everything I heard from Crist today-we only got to speak on the issue for about ten minutes after the BOCC meeting. Full disclosure-I did tell him I was going to post it, and he actually encouraged me to. So if you want to speak to Victor Crist further on the issue-I'd highly recommend calling his office and setting up a meeting-he's surely more accessible than Dr. Genshaft at this point. He's a Bull for life-which is a lot more than I could say about some other morons we've seen in our state legislature over the years "cough Alexander and Latvala cough". 

I can confirm part of your account... my contacts at Busch Gardens for my business have mentioned that there is a USF, Moffitt, VA, and Busch Gardens partnership in which they plan to virtually raise suitcase city and turn it into an area where retirees can live and where students can live.

If you drive through the area they are currently doing a lot of heavy road expansion and removing slum houses. Suitcase city actually expands from north-south from Bearss all the way over to Busch, and east-west from Bruce B. Downs to Nebraska.

If they can gut and clean this area up it would be awesome.

Hopefully this happens.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693

There's no trailer park off 131st anywhere near BBD that I know of so I have no idea where this "top option" is located .... and it wouldn't matter anyway, IMO. An OCS that's not really on campus defeats the purpose of the atmosphere trying to be achieved by having one.

There is a trailer park on 131st street if you pass north over Fletcher towards Bearss. Actually there are a lot of them.

I see what Judy is trying to do and she is trying to expand the campus westward towards I275 because many, many, many parents of students, students themselves, donors, boosters, and everyone else at USF has had issues with the ghetto along Fletcher as you drive into campus.

At a meeting I attended on campus last year I heard Judy state that the majority of visitors to USF come to USF via 275 and never see the main entrance. Combined with what I'm hearing from my sources at Busch Gardens I think this might be legit.

If the campus of USF is extended west and the stadium is built on that new land, then technically the stadium would be on campus.

• Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  3,691

There's no trailer park off 131st anywhere near BBD that I know of so I have no idea where this "top option" is located .... and it wouldn't matter anyway, IMO. An OCS that's not really on campus defeats the purpose of the atmosphere trying to be achieved by having one.

There is a trailer park on 131st street if you pass north over Fletcher towards Bearss. Actually there are a lot of them.

I see what Judy is trying to do and she is trying to expand the campus westward towards I275 because many, many, many parents of students, students themselves, donors, boosters, and everyone else at USF has had issues with the ghetto along Fletcher as you drive into campus.

At a meeting I attended on campus last year I heard Judy state that the majority of visitors to USF come to USF via 275 and never see the main entrance. Combined with what I'm hearing from my sources at Busch Gardens I think this might be legit.

If the campus of USF is extended west and the stadium is built on that new land, then technically the stadium would be on campus.

Not sure what trailer park you are talking about.  131st and Fletcher are parallel.  Maybe I am confused.

Anyway, the only trailer park I see on 131st is the Frontier Travel Park on Nebraska.  It is right on 275.  Too far from campus.  At least 1.5 miles.  I hope this is not what they want to do. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,600
  • Days Won:  424

Not sure what trailer park you are talking about.  131st and Fletcher are parallel.  Maybe I am confused.

Anyway, the only trailer park I see on 131st is the Frontier Travel Park on Nebraska.  It is right on 275.  Too far from campus.  At least 1.5 miles.  I hope this is not what they want to do. 

That's the only one I saw anywhere near 131st ... but I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with future USF plans.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,600
  • Days Won:  424

So where exactly does 275 drop you off on campus?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Went to Google maps to look this up, and Holy Crap, THAT brings back some memories. Used to date a stripper that lived there for a while. Strip club was right next door, called Library Lounge. Looks like it's a mini-storage now. Oh well.

Fond memories of the outdoor picnic table, LOL.