• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some interesting insider talk on an OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

A few thoughts. While I can appreciate the OP's post, most of it seems far fetched and near fantasy.

UCH/Adventist was a recent purchase. Adventist has 30+ hospitals in the US and 30k employees plus.... USF is tiered to TGH and if you haven't seen the USF Health buildings on Davis Island, you probably are not aware. Not saying it couldn't change, but unlikely. Too much money into that relationship and has been favorable for TGH and USF. Don't see that happening.

As for fund raising. As long as we are in this thing they call AAC, there isn't the kind of draw or money to get donors to do anything. We need to focus on a real conference first, one of the Big 5, with a real TV contract, and real revenues, before we can have that conversation.

Next is the fallacy of building a stadium to save money due to our current RJS/TSA contract. So we should spend $200M+ to save a couple of million a year? I am no accountant, but seems the ROI on that one is way, way, way into the future.As far as other improvements and changes to the USF campus. We cannot afford, given the current USF Athletics budget, donor base, and AAC revenue expectations, to afford an OCS. What makes anyone think we should spend another $3-5M reconfiguring the entire campus? Doubtful that would happen.

Not trying to pick apart the OP. I am sure you posted in good faith. But there are more holes in this plan than one can count.

There are prolly 50 schools in the country right now that have less of all these attributes than we do but yet have recently built or are building an OCS. Hardly a rational for this being an Impossibility. I usually don't wade into the OCS debate but this agument is a complete red herring. The income stream vs. Ray Jay is just throwing numbers out. An OCS would generate far more than 1-2 MM a year. A game with 50k people spending an avg of 50 dollars each generates $2.5 Million in revenues with virtually no cost. Add special events(concerts, etc)  and an annual income of 1-2 MM a year is ridiculous. Your argument seems to have far more holes than any plan proposed. I mean we didn't spend all we have spent on new facilities so that we could languish as an AAC school. In for a penny in for a pound.
You forget we make money now. It is profitable. TV revenue, conference money, bowl money. All of those would be the same. And we make money from gate proceeds today. The difference is we would get full revenues, including parking and concessions. We only get a portion of parking and no concessions, and we pay to use the stadium today. But we would pay debt on the new stadium. Not to mention donor money that we can apply 100% today would have to be redirected to stadium funding and bond payments. So while you point out holes, you omit a number of key factors. Clearly you didn't put a lot of thought into your reply.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

I'm not a guy that asks for links.  But USF's Athletic Dept MAKES money?  As in Revenue minus Expenses = Profit?  I don't know why, but I thought we spent pretty much every dollar that we brought in.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

A few thoughts. While I can appreciate the OP's post, most of it seems far fetched and near fantasy.

UCH/Adventist was a recent purchase. Adventist has 30+ hospitals in the US and 30k employees plus.... USF is tiered to TGH and if you haven't seen the USF Health buildings on Davis Island, you probably are not aware. Not saying it couldn't change, but unlikely. Too much money into that relationship and has been favorable for TGH and USF. Don't see that happening.

As for fund raising. As long as we are in this thing they call AAC, there isn't the kind of draw or money to get donors to do anything. We need to focus on a real conference first, one of the Big 5, with a real TV contract, and real revenues, before we can have that conversation.

Next is the fallacy of building a stadium to save money due to our current RJS/TSA contract. So we should spend $200M+ to save a couple of million a year? I am no accountant, but seems the ROI on that one is way, way, way into the future.

As far as other improvements and changes to the USF campus. We cannot afford, given the current USF Athletics budget, donor base, and AAC revenue expectations, to afford an OCS. What makes anyone think we should spend another $3-5M reconfiguring the entire campus? Doubtful that would happen.

Not trying to pick apart the OP. I am sure you posted in good faith. But there are more holes in this plan than one can count.

There are prolly 50 schools in the country right now that have less of all these attributes than we do but yet have recently built or are building an OCS. Hardly a rational for this being an Impossibility. I usually don't wade into the OCS debate but this agument is a complete red herring. The income stream vs. Ray Jay is just throwing numbers out. An OCS would generate far more than 1-2 MM a year. A game with 50k people spending an avg of 50 dollars each generates $2.5 Million in revenues with virtually no cost. Add special events(concerts, etc)  and an annual income of 1-2 MM a year is ridiculous. Your argument seems to have far more holes than any plan proposed. I mean we didn't spend all we have spent on new facilities so that we could languish as an AAC school. In for a penny in for a pound.

50? I want what you are smoking. There is a handful of recently built new stadiums. There are a few *less than 10) being built or expanded now or in the near future, many of those because the school moving up from FCS and HAVE to meet FBS regs like UMass, Ga Southern, ODU, etc..   Here's the list, not many new stadiums in the past 5 years at all were built, a handful. Most are much older.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_stadiums#Future_stadiums

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I'm not a guy that asks for links.  But USF's Athletic Dept MAKES money?  As in Revenue minus Expenses = Profit?  I don't know why, but I thought we spent pretty much every dollar that we brought in.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

For 2011, per the above site, we had a total revenue of $41,948,123, with total expenses of $43,494,246.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

For 2011, per the above site, we had a total revenue of $41,948,123, with total expenses of $43,494,246.

Those reports are more of a guide than actual reality.  Schools do creative budgeting so that the majority of athletics just about break even.  Unless your at the top where there's too much money to "hide" revenue and expenses are sloshed between academics and athletics pretty loosely.

The take away is the total value of the revenue/expenses reported rather than the difference.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Next is the fallacy of building a stadium to save money due to our current RJS/TSA contract. So we should spend $200M+ to save a couple of million a year? I am no accountant, but seems the ROI on that one is way, way, way into the future.

As far as other improvements and changes to the USF campus. We cannot afford, given the current USF Athletics budget, donor base, and AAC revenue expectations, to afford an OCS. What makes anyone think we should spend another $3-5M reconfiguring the entire campus? Doubtful that would happen.

50? I want what you are smoking. There is a handful of recently built new stadiums. There are a few *less than 10) being built or expanded now or in the near future, many of those because the school moving up from FCS and HAVE to meet FBS regs like UMass, Ga Southern, ODU, etc..   Here's the list, not many new stadiums in the past 5 years at all were built, a handful. Most are much older.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_stadiums#Future_stadiums

Well if you read what i actually said I might have been more accurate in saying built or expanded. By your source alone I counted 58 in the last 10 years alone, at least 10 on the drawing boards and I am sure another 10 will be conceived or have been already but not publicly discussed.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

My point was a counterpoint to the other poster who had flawed logic. His logic failed to mention that USF is making revenues today from ticket sales and from parking. Yes the TSA and Glazers make money but those revenues lost are much smaller than paying debt and expecting incremental donor funds for OCS. The ROI on that would be measured in decades, not years.

Again, it is the difference between buying a house or renting an apartment. Right now, while we are not gaining equity, we also are not paying out over many, many years. To take that a step further, we are renting a $500M apartment, but would buy a $200M house and pay out for 30 years. ROI is waaayyyyy out in the future.

• Topic Count:  102
  • Content Count:  1,679
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with the other reply that OP likely heard Victor Crist's dream for a USF stadium.  Somehow I think I heard the same three points over a decade ago.  

Raymond James stadium was supposed to be a venue that allowed us to participate in a major conference, with the idea that eventually the program would grow to stand on it's own with a moderately equivalent (i.e. major conference caliber) on-campus stadium.  That ship has sailed (at least for the foreseeable future).  No one in their right mind would approve or fund a major conference football stadium for USF at the present time.

If we leave Raymond James now, it will be because we aren't big enough to afford it any more.  Under those circumstances do you really think you'd be proud of the OCS we would build?  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

My point was a counterpoint to the other poster who had flawed logic. His logic failed to mention that USF is making revenues today from ticket sales and from parking. Yes the TSA and Glazers make money but those revenues lost are much smaller than paying debt and expecting incremental donor funds for OCS. The ROI on that would be measured in decades, not years.

Again, it is the difference between buying a house or renting an apartment. Right now, while we are not gaining equity, we also are not paying out over many, many years. To take that a step further, we are renting a $500M apartment, but would buy a $200M house and pay out for 30 years. ROI is waaayyyyy out in the future.

Okay. Just read it literally.  It is an accountant's brain at work here.  Big difference between revenue and profit.

• Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

This is our  new stadium just need seats. LOL :popcorn: or pull out your lawn chairs. That is all.

new-now-frank-morsani-football-complex-m

• Upvote 1