• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

American Athletic Conference

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,002
  • Days Won:  469

We stole the name:

http://www.haacsports.com/

I must admit aac sounds better than haac.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

We stole the name:

True, although I keep thinking about Bill the cat from Bloom County/Opus AAC(k)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,497
  • Days Won:  10

We stole the name:

True, although I keep thinking about Bill the cat from Bloom County/Opus AAC(k)

Honestly, that's one of the first images that came to mind!

bill.jpg

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

To everyone against the name, what exactly is the big deal? Is our team going to perform worse because we're in a conference with a bland name? Is South East or Atlantic Coast really that much more exciting of a name?

Perception. We live in a media driven society, and sports more than anything else is tapped into that media. Just look at how ESPiN's fingerprints are on realignment. And in this media saturated culture, branding matters.  It has nothing to do directly with on field performance; it has to do with popularity and converting that popularity into $$$ (which may indirectly affect the product on the field in the future).

Look at the Rays. The re-branded themselves.  Or the B1G.

That's why I think its a big deal; I think its weak in terms of a brand.

I get all that, but there's more to branding than a name.  Regardless of the name, this is now a brand new conference, and it's going to be seen as such.

The perception (and reality) is that we are now in a conference full of teams that no one else wanted.  I'm hard-pressed to think of a name that would do anything to overcome that perception, and almost every name I've heard suggested by fans has been in jest.

In my opinion, I'd dislike any name that has a number or a geographical region, because they limit what you can do as far as expansion.  I'd also dislike any name that sounds too grandiose (e.g. "Big" anything), because that just invites derision.  I think you just put a solid name on it, and go about trying to change the perception on the field.

Good point about our perception issue. Nothing about our new name can change the "island of misfit toys" perception, that can only be changed on the field over a period of time.

Agree about a number in the name being undesirable, but not  completely about geographical region. The PAC and SEC have done just fine with that characteristic. In our case a geographical designation is undesirable because we really don't have one, but in general it's not a bad thing.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

I wonder if the logo will be close to the Destination American channel's..

Destination+America+logo+2012.jpg

I see that and think NE Patriots ...... then puke.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

To everyone against the name, what exactly is the big deal? Is our team going to perform worse because we're in a conference with a bland name? Is South East or Atlantic Coast really that much more exciting of a name?

Perception. We live in a media driven society, and sports more than anything else is tapped into that media. Just look at how ESPiN's fingerprints are on realignment. And in this media saturated culture, branding matters.  It has nothing to do directly with on field performance; it has to do with popularity and converting that popularity into $$$ (which may indirectly affect the product on the field in the future).

Could there have been a weaker re-branding than the B1G's stupid division names?? On the field is what matters ...

• Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

I'm OK playing in the Double A. 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I get all that, but there's more to branding than a name.  Regardless of the name, this is now a brand new conference, and it's going to be seen as such.

The perception (and reality) is that we are now in a conference full of teams that no one else wanted.  I'm hard-pressed to think of a name that would do anything to overcome that perception, and almost every name I've heard suggested by fans has been in jest.

In my opinion, I'd dislike any name that has a number or a geographical region, because they limit what you can do as far as expansion.  I'd also dislike any name that sounds too grandiose (e.g. "Big" anything), because that just invites derision.  I think you just put a solid name on it, and go about trying to change the perception on the field.

Good point about our perception issue. Nothing about our new name can change the "island of misfit toys" perception, that can only be changed on the field over a period of time.

Agree about a number in the name being undesirable, but not  completely about geographical region. The PAC and SEC have done just fine with that characteristic. In our case a geographical designation is undesirable because we really don't have one, but in general it's not a bad thing.

The PAC (1915) and SEC (1932),  with some members from the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association (1894), were formed way before gigantic TV deals and airplanes screwed up traditional regional rivalries. The widespread use of air travel means that rivalries don't need to be within driving distance any longer hence the use of geography in the name is no longer needed.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

Once upon a time there was a tavern, we we used to raise a glass or two. 

Remember how we laughed away the hours, and dreamed of all the great things we would do...

Ah yes...CUSA. I still have a CUSA sweatshirt hanging in the garage. I remember how enthusiastic we were, back when we were young, to actually be in a conference; to no longer get the bowl-snub due to our indie status. We were thankful for conference membership and what it would bring...the heated rivalry with Southern "Eye Gouging" Miss and East "Pay your dues" Carolina. Strangely, it seems like we just wandered off the reservation for such a short while, and now we're home...right where we belong. Almost like we never really left. 

Through the door there came familiar laughter, I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser, For in our hearts the dreams are still the same

:FIREdevil: