• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

American Athletic Conference

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Let's see.... Conference USA.... American Athletic Conference.... Conference USA... yup, they sound pretty interchangeable to me!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Not horrible.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

I feel pretty okay about this.  Yeah, it's a bit bland, but so is every other conference name.  "Creative" names would most likely be scoffed at.  I also like that they avoided a number in the name (Big 10 with 12 teams, Big 12 with 10 teams, yada, yada).  And I think American is still a pretty decent adjective to have in there, even without the coast-to-coast layout that was in the works.  Keep in mind that the AAC is still in a very tenuous position, as conference realignment will kick up again eventually and we're bound to lose some teams (or hopefully be lost ourselves?) to other conferences.  Then when the AAC has to reload, they're not limited by the name to a specific geographic region or number of teams.

I know I certainly got tired of the jokes. "Boise State and San Diego State in the Big EAST?  I guess someone failed geography!  Har har har!"

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

Apparently no response was solicited from The Bulls Pen members.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6373

“The response that we got on the name from the surveys we took was very positive and the Presidents all loved it,” said Big East commissioner Mike Aresco on Wednesday night. “It was clean and concise and gives us a wide appeal. I think its a great starting point for us.”

An official logo will be unveiled in a few weeks, promoting the conference which will have 10 teams playing next fall in football, 11 in 2014 and 12 in 2015.

You should read Aresco's full comments if you haven't. They're a hoot.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

I like it. Everyone was waiting to make fun of the new conference name and they picked something so safe that it's hard to make fun of. It's not exactly fresh or innovative, but it works for a conference that wants people to focus on the product on the field. That said, it's time to move forward to division alignment. I took a stab at ranking the top 12 annual football programs and then put them in the best geographical alignment.

1. Cincinnati

2. USF

3. UConn

4. UCF

5. Houston

6. Tulsa

7. Navy

8. Temple

9. SMU

10. ECU

11. Tulane

12. Memphis

Here is my alignment. The East is much tougher, but it makes the most sense geographically. Get ready for alot of USF/UConn/UCF vs Cincy for as long as they stick around.

East Division

USF

UConn

UCF

Navy

Temple

ECU

West Division

Cincinnatti

Houston

Tulsa

SMU

Tulane

Memphis

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I think you're right about the divisional alignment.

At least for me personally, I would like to see a full 12th member instead of Navy as a partial member. I just think it would add stability having all members on even footing, instead of a partial members, like how the old Big East was divided between football and non-football.

Another point I saw someone bring up on Greg's article was the word "athletic" in the conference name.  You look at the B1G or the SEC, and you see that they have strong academic partnerships as well as their athletic association, which they proudly promote publicly. This was something I never noticed from the old Big East and it goes back to conference stability.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I think you're right about the divisional alignment.

At least for me personally, I would like to see a full 12th member instead of Navy as a partial member. I just think it would add stability having all members on even footing, instead of a partial members, like how the old Big East was divided between football and non-football.

Another point I saw someone bring up on Greg's article was the word "athletic" in the conference name.  You look at the B1G or the SEC, and you see that they have strong academic partnerships as well as their athletic association, which they proudly promote publicly. This was something I never noticed from the old Big East and it goes back to conference stability.

"Athletic" is just a word. The schools in the other conferences have strong partnerships because most of them have been together for several decades or longer, not because the word athletic is missing from their names. SEC, ACC, etc were formed long ago before anyone knew what importance conferences would go on to have, and that those names don't have the word "athletic" in them is purely coincidence.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

It's decent. Kinda glad we don't have to hear the Big LEast crap anymore.