• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

American Athletic Conference

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

To everyone against the name, what exactly is the big deal? Is our team going to perform worse because we're in a conference with a bland name? Is South East or Atlantic Coast really that much more exciting of a name?

Perception. We live in a media driven society, and sports more than anything else is tapped into that media. Just look at how ESPiN's fingerprints are on realignment. And in this media saturated culture, branding matters.  It has nothing to do directly with on field performance; it has to do with popularity and converting that popularity into $$$ (which may indirectly affect the product on the field in the future).

Look at the Rays. The re-branded themselves.  Or the B1G.

That's why I think its a big deal; I think its weak in terms of a brand.

I get all that, but there's more to branding than a name.  Regardless of the name, this is now a brand new conference, and it's going to be seen as such.

The perception (and reality) is that we are now in a conference full of teams that no one else wanted.  I'm hard-pressed to think of a name that would do anything to overcome that perception, and almost every name I've heard suggested by fans has been in jest.

In my opinion, I'd dislike any name that has a number or a geographical region, because they limit what you can do as far as expansion.  I'd also dislike any name that sounds too grandiose (e.g. "Big" anything), because that just invites derision.  I think you just put a solid name on it, and go about trying to change the perception on the field.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

Also, how can you not be looking forward to this?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

To everyone against the name, what exactly is the big deal? Is our team going to perform worse because we're in a conference with a bland name? Is South East or Atlantic Coast really that much more exciting of a name?

Perception. We live in a media driven society, and sports more than anything else is tapped into that media. Just look at how ESPiN's fingerprints are on realignment. And in this media saturated culture, branding matters. It has nothing to do directly with on field performance; it has to do with popularity and converting that popularity into $$$ (which may indirectly affect the product on the field in the future).

Look at the Rays. The re-branded themselves. Or the B1G.

I get all that, but there's more to branding than a name. Regardless of the name, this is now a brand new conference, and it's going to be seen as such.

The perception (and reality) is that we are now in a conference full of teams that no one else wanted. I'm hard-pressed to think of a name that would do anything to overcome that perception, and almost every name I've heard suggested by fans has been in jest.

In my opinion, I'd dislike any name that has a number or a geographical region, because they limit what you can do as far as expansion. I'd also dislike any name that sounds too grandiose (e.g. "Big" anything), because that just invites derision. I think you just put a solid name on it, and go about trying to change the perception on the field.

+1

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Perception. We live in a media driven society, and sports more than anything else is tapped into that media. Just look at how ESPiN's fingerprints are on realignment. And in this media saturated culture, branding matters.  It has nothing to do directly with on field performance; it has to do with popularity and converting that popularity into $$$ (which may indirectly affect the product on the field in the future).

Look at the Rays. The re-branded themselves.  Or the B1G.

Not at all. It may be weak to overcritical Big East fans and students but to the average sports fan, its fine. Its patriotic. I mean, yeah, its probably not popular with the Taliban, but to the average sports fan, they won't think its bad. There aren't that many choices out there and this was done after a lot of input at the fan,  consultant and even network level.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I wonder if the logo will be close to the Destination American channel's..

Destination+America+logo+2012.jpg

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Works for me.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Nothing really wrong with new American Athletic Conference name.  The AAC should do something big every 4th of July to help promote itself nationally.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Works for me.

Are you kidding me? This sucks and everyone who had a part in coming with this rubbish should be hung by the balls with piano wire.

:D

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I like the WW2 look, with a stencil font. Something like this...

post-9176-0-97951400-1365131050_thumb.pn

Edited by charsibb