• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official Assistant Coaches Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Has USF become toxic with the BE being in tatters? Really thought we'd have a D C by now.

Unfortunately CR, I think it has.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Key to your sacred recruiting is becoming "hip". Not getting a guy who needs a new "hip". Hip is getting someone who kids can relate to a good defense right now. What have you done for me lately. Oh you coached my former teammate at florida. I can call and ask and find out about you.

All the Louisville senior coaches are in their 50s. They seem more than hip enough to attract great players on both sides of the ball.

Clint Hurtt brought all those Miami kids to UofL. it's wasn't the senior coaches in their 50's.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Key to your sacred recruiting is becoming "hip". Not getting a guy who needs a new "hip". Hip is getting someone who kids can relate to a good defense right now. What have you done for me lately. Oh you coached my former teammate at florida. I can call and ask and find out about you.

All the Louisville senior coaches are in their 50s. They seem more than hip enough to attract great players on both sides of the ball.

Clint Hurtt brought all those Miami kids to UofL. it's wasn't the senior coaches in their 50's.

We are talking about the DC aren't we? Not the assistants. I have no issue with youth at position coach.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Would love to be a fly on the wall in Nashville this weekend.

Why?

American CFB Coaches conference. I am sure Willie and his new DC are there, lining up staff.

http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=1160

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

So we only need one young and hip assistant to do all the recruiting for the program. We already have some on board, along with the HC.

So why do we need every assistant to be young and hip, when you just said we didn't?

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Days Won:  0

That's a shame about Franks and Rachel. I knew both and they were real good guys. I do think it's a little shady that CWT kept them on for supporting duties for a month and then let them go. I saw that CWT named Sharrod Everett the DFO...does that mean Larry Antonucci has been fired too?

It's a business...these guys know that. Wish them the best, but we need a new attitude and no voices saying "this is how we used to do it"

I'm betting we hear some news today on addtional staff members

Sorry, but it's too easy for people to say "It's just a business". Everyone says that until it happens to them. Also, there's two guys still there (Larry Scott and Larry Antonucci) who can say "this is how we used to do it".

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,370

That's a shame about Franks and Rachel. I knew both and they were real good guys. I do think it's a little shady that CWT kept them on for supporting duties for a month and then let them go. I saw that CWT named Sharrod Everett the DFO...does that mean Larry Antonucci has been fired too?

How's that shady? It gave them time to look for another job, while being paid.

It's shady because of the way it's presented to the staffers who remain. They're given the impression that they'll be retained so they bust their asses for a month or two to no avail. It's tantamount to a "carrot-on-a-stick" type of deal. If you want to get rid of previous staff, fine, but just do it right away and bring in your own people. A fast "no" is much better than a slow "maybe".

Edited by tamiamibull05

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276

It's a business...these guys know that. Wish them the best, but we need a new attitude and no voices saying "this is how we used to do it"

Sorry, but it's too easy for people to say "It's just a business". Everyone says that until it happens to them. Also, there's two guys still there (Larry Scott and Larry Antonucci) who can say "this is how we used to do it".

It has happened to me and it did suck. But I got over it because my company was going in a different direction...I've moved on to better things. This program is heading in a different direction, so I'm sure these coaches will do the same thing.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

How's that shady? It gave them time to look for another job, while being paid.

It's shady because of the way it's presented to the staffers who remain. They're given the impression that they'll be retained so they bust their asses for a month or two to no avail. It's tantamount to a "carrot-on-a-stick" type of deal. If you want to get rid of previous staff, fine, but just do it right away and bring in your own people. A fast "no" is much better than a slow "maybe".

What makes you think they were given the impression they would be retained? Have you been told this by the staff in question?

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Everyone (including the assistants) who knows anything about football knows that they are the ones who are screwed the most. The best thing for them to do is work as hard as they can until they get the axe. Doing otherwise would make them less attractive candidates at the next job for which they apply. Along with this came the buddy system seen in coaching, ie why coaches like Leavitt get a job after being fired and in the center of a media uproar. They make friends along the way who remember how hard it is to get a job in this business and often they hire friends from previous engagements when in a position to do so.

Edited by slick1ru2