• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conner Rafferty OT Robinson HS Tampa

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

It's funny that through all this falderal no one has considered the fact that maybe the kid never really had a commitable offer. May have told his coach that he did. But it's strange that we would have jumped on a kid with this talent level back in June(even for the Holtz menagerie). Maybe Willie is doing exactly what Woolard said he would do.

DB- just saw your post, but I guess great minds think alike. :popcorn:

:rolleyes:  ... So now we add the player, the players' parents and the player's coach to the recruiting services that don't know ****. Who's left?

---------------------------------

Seriously Trip, you know that parents and kids are going to say things that make themselves in the best possible light.  

It is possible that Holtz said he might have an offer, might not.  It's possible that there were strings attached.  It's possible that he wasn't told his scholarship was gone, just told that he is low man on the totem pole and might want to go to a school that gives him more playing time.  

None of us heard any of the conversations, we don't know what was offered and we only hear one side of the story.  It isn't always accurate.

What part of that do you disagree with?

2000 is right, there are usually 3 sides to every story. Right now we only have one side but it makes the most sense when compared to these conspiracy theories being thrown out there. Old regime offered, he accepted and was all set. New regime not sold on him and rescinds the offer, which happens with these changes .... except we announced we would honor all the previous commits. That's the part I have a problem with.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It's funny that through all this falderal no one has considered the fact that maybe the kid never really had a commitable offer. May have told his coach that he did. But it's strange that we would have jumped on a kid with this talent level back in June(even for the Holtz menagerie). Maybe Willie is doing exactly what Woolard said he would do.

DB- just saw your post, but I guess great minds think alike. :popcorn:

:rolleyes:  ... So now we add the player, the players' parents and the player's coach to the recruiting services that don't know ****. Who's left?

---------------------------------

Seriously Trip, you know that parents and kids are going to say things that make themselves in the best possible light.  

It is possible that Holtz said he might have an offer, might not.  It's possible that there were strings attached.  It's possible that he wasn't told his scholarship was gone, just told that he is low man on the totem pole and might want to go to a school that gives him more playing time.  

None of us heard any of the conversations, we don't know what was offered and we only hear one side of the story.  It isn't always accurate.

What part of that do you disagree with?

2000 is right, there are usually 3 sides to every story. Right now we only have one side but it makes the most sense when compared to these conspiracy theories being thrown out there. Old regime offered, he accepted and was all set. New regime not sold on him and rescinds the offer, which happens with these changes .... except we announced we would honor all the previous commits. That's the part I have a problem with.

Exactly.  We announced we would honor all commitments, then pull ONE offer?  It doesn't make sense, unless it was a conditional offer all along.  You are choosing to listen to one side of the story instead of the third.  I'm not saying they are lying, I'm saying that we really don't know the truth.  I don't believe everything I read.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Sucks for him. I don't think USF did anything out of line.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

If he's a marginal at best recruit, why should USF have to honor it. USF isn't running a charity, giving away scholarships worth thousands of dollars to undeserving athletes, athletically speaking. If he wasn't good enough, he wasn't good enough. Bottom line.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

I truly hope that he was told that the schollie would be there but that his playing time wouldn't.  According to the father, the coach said something about in his professional opinion he should look elsewhere, not that the scholarship definitely wasn't coming.  Just word play, but this is no different than the Carnes case if not.  Locking down the area includes not pi$$ing off the local coaches.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Looks like less than 24 hours later, Conner Rafferty has an offer from Eastern Kentucky. Anyone think this is more than coincidence that EKU, who I am assuming knows WKU well, offers him? Could Coach T have called in a favor?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Looks like less than 24 hours later, Conner Rafferty has an offer from Eastern Kentucky. Anyone think this is more than coincidence that EKU, who I am assuming knows WKU well, offers him? Could Coach T have called in a favor?

Maybe.  But it is no secret other states covet Florida recruits.  A smart coaching staff at a small school is going to follow the Florida schools looking for recruits that just miss the cut. 

If he's a marginal at best recruit, why should USF have to honor it. USF isn't running a charity, giving away scholarships worth thousands of dollars to undeserving athletes, athletically speaking. If he wasn't good enough, he wasn't good enough. Bottom line.

Because USF said they would ...

More likely that Coach Depue got on the phone ...

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

Because USF said they would ...

I didn't know a university could speak.... ;)