• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conner Rafferty OT Robinson HS Tampa

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

He's 6 ft 4 and 270 pounds, and doesn't have any other offers? All that tells me is that he isn't very good. With his GPA, the kid could probably play IVY league ball. Hopefully it works out for him.

Coach T did it the only way he could, honestly.

Ivy leagues doesn't offer student scholarships for athletics.

He's 6 ft 4 and 270 pounds, and doesn't have any other offers? All that tells me is that he isn't very good. With his GPA, the kid could probably play IVY league ball. Hopefully it works out for him.

Coach T did it the only way he could, honestly.

Ivy league prohibits athletic scholarships.

However they do give "Grants-in-Aid".

Yes they do.  But he is competing for everyone that qualifies for admission.

No, he is not.  There is a minimum level they must qualify to get into the school.  Then the athletic program gets them academic scholarship money.  Cool thing for the student is that because it is academic as long as they keep their grades up they keep the scholly even if they stop playing for the team.  But they get the offer initially because they are an athlete.  I know someone that was offered by an Ivy League school.

Yup! Kinda, sorta, but there are no athletic or academic schollies.     Ivy coaches are allowed 5 "very minimum qualifiers"

Edited by mviusa

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I like what Taggart did. Shows we mean business. This kid had to know this was coming. Don't believe everything you read. I am sure we will patch it up with Depue and his successor. If we wanted what Skip was dishing up. we should have kept him.

I know Coach DePue and he does not lie and if he is pissed heads will roll in the local recruiting... In my opinion this shows me two things 1. The handling of this situation was not in a classy and professional manner. 2) That Coach T wants his guys but at what cost? Do you burn bridges this late in the recruiting process? As an alumni and a donor I am not happy about how this situation will effect local recruiting and how our program is being represented.  

i'm pretty sure the 'heads will (not) roll in the local recruiting'

• Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Just picked up an easter kentucky offer, he will be fine

Less than 24 hrs after his @USFFootball offer's rescinded, Robinson OL Connor Rafferty is offered by #EasternKentucky, per asst Shawn Taylor

Eastern Kentucky has a football team? They must play Western Carolina. Not sure how someone will be fine after being offered by a mid major school and ending up at BFE.

Water seeks it's own level...Rafferty may just have found his!

---------------------------------------

Are you always a jerk or just on Mondays?  

I'm sure he'll get other offers now that he is no longer a USF commit.  Obviously you aren't an athlete yourself or you would have a better idea how this works.

Sure! all the big programs didn't offer because Holtz did!

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Just picked up an easter kentucky offer, he will be fine

Less than 24 hrs after his @USFFootball offer's rescinded, Robinson OL Connor Rafferty is offered by #EasternKentucky, per asst Shawn Taylor

Eastern Kentucky has a football team? They must play Western Carolina. Not sure how someone will be fine after being offered by a mid major school and ending up at BFE.

Water seeks it's own level...Rafferty may just have found his!

---------------------------------------

Are you always a jerk or just on Mondays?  

I'm sure he'll get other offers now that he is no longer a USF commit.  Obviously you aren't an athlete yourself or you would have a better idea how this works.

Sure! all the big programs didn't offer because Holtz did!

----------------------------------

It isn't just because today is Monday, is it?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,605
  • Days Won:  424

A 1050 SAT will not get you into an Ivy League school. Not even close. Also a 3.6 GPA will not get you into an Ivy League school unless your parents/grandparents went there and you have money

That was an unweighted 3.6 GPA, if that matters ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,605
  • Days Won:  424

Here's my problem with this. Per Greg's column, The practice isn't unusual in college football, especially after a coaching change. But athletic director Doug Woolard said when Taggart was hired that USF would honor scholarship offers to all recruits who had committed to the Bulls under Skip Holtz.    http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-pulls-offer-commitment-rafferty

Maybe there was a communication problem back then but whatever it was, there needs to be some damage control done .... and don't give me this crap that nothing can be said from the USF end. No names can be specifically mentioned but obviously things can be said because CWT was Tweeting about getting commits, wasn't he? 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Here is what I want to know.  Did they really pull the offer?  Or did they just tell him he would never play?

"He said it would be in Connor's best interest if he were to pursue other offers at this time," Tracy Rafferty said.

"He said that they looked at film and they compared him with other offers they had, and that he was on the list but they didn't think they would get to him. So he said in his professional opinion, it would be in his best interest to pursue any other offers he would have."

That says, "you aren't as good as the rest of our players, you might want to find a place where you can get on the field."  That doesn't say "you aren't getting a scholly from us."

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Good point...I noticed that too. Reading between the lines (with green/gold glasses), it sounds more honest and in the best interest of the kid.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Was he in fact "committed"?  I know the offer was there, but was he listed as a commit?

• Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  1

People jumping to conclusion without knowsing whats going on behind the scenes. I also read that USF could not comment on the situation due to recruiting policies