• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I doubt that the Big XII expands much, if at all.  They are giving the conference rights to tier 1 and tier 2 programming.  I think they only add one extra team IF their TV contract says they need to.

Let's think about this.  They have $157M in shared TV revenue coming in beginning next year.  If they basically sign a contract that locks them in for six years with nine teams then they each get $17.4M per year.  If the TV contract requires the league be ten teams, I suspect they would add BYU because they are the path of least resistance.  They are indy and no conference will try to prevent them moving.

If they expand beyond 10, then they'll get a larger deal and per program payout could be higher.

And the per program payout could also be lower.

Very true. This is where I think we stand in a good position since we have the market and the up and coming program. I am sure the Longhorn Network wouldn't mind being here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  325
  • Days Won:  0

Yes with this  potential lineup,  I would assume that Dr Lou's son will be in the  SEC or Notre Dame by 2014.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

How CBS Sports envision how are conference will look in 2014:  They have the Big 12 at 10 with adding only BYU and VT going to the SEC and Uconn in the ACC.   

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/collegefootball/story/15623988/conference-swapping-will-lead-to-realignment-in-standings

Big East

With Syracuse and Pittsburgh announcing their departure and others reportedly making efforts to do the same, it looked like the Big East was not going to survive this wave of realignment. After a three-hour meeting in downtown New York, John Marinatto emerged with "aggressive" plans to expand and replace the dearly departed. The landscape for football looks much different, but the openings in our expansion plans give AQ opportunities to some of the up-and-coming programs in the nation. Here's how the power rankings shape up for our new-look Big East.

1. TCU: Rose Bowl rings, a brand new renovation to their stadium, and now an annual shot at an AQ BCS berth. The Horned Frogs have been building this program over the past decade and they should jump right to the front of their new conference upon arrival.

2. West Virginia: The Mountaineers' lack of a solid television market and some other non-football concerns may/may not have kept them from making a move in the recent expansion wave. But the football program can be a contender in any conference, the new Big East especially.

3. South Florida: Skip Holtz gained a certain amount of respect in Tampa due to his football lineage. But if 2011 ends up being the kind of season many expect, the son of Dr. Lou will have a name for himself and a HUGE school ready to provide him with the tools necessary to be a contender.

4. Central Florida: Many pundits have referred to the Knights' football program as a "sleeping giant." I think the advances they've made in recruiting along with a passionate fan base will result in UCF living up to its reputation.

5. Louisville: Charlie Strong was overdue for his first head coaching job. He'll get the Cardinals back to being Big East contenders with a few years of his own recruiting classes. He's a great coach who I believe gets the most out of what he has. Unfortunately what he has right now is a little too green for Big East competition.

6. Navy: After being promoted to head coach in 2007, Ken Niumatalolo has delivered three straight seasons of eight-plus wins for the Midshipmen. His teams are bruising and physical and a nightmare to face. No reason to think any of that changes after Navy sheds its independent status.

7. Houston: When Kevin Sumlin took control of the program, he continued the progress and rebuilding that started in the mid-2000s. The Cougars have been known for high-powered offenses thanks to good coaching and the quarterbacking of Kevin Kolb and Case Keenum. But they will need more than offensive fireworks for perennial success at the AQ level.

8. Cincinnati: Jury's out on whether Butch Jones is the right man for the job, but the Bearcats have enough young talent around the program to keep them mildly competitive in the newly aligned Big East.

9. Rutgers: This may seem shortsighted, but I'm struggling to see Rutgers emerge from this expansion on top of the new arrivals. 2010's performance was supposedly a fluke, but if the course for 2011 doesn't change it might be the start of a trend.

10. Air Force: As long as the Falcons have Troy Calhoun for a while, they can find their way in the new conference. But something tells me it will be much more difficult to keep him in Colorado Springs after the new spotlight gives him more national exposure.

I don't really have a problem with this alignment at all. Would like to add 2 more to get to 12.

I agree. I think it's going to be hard to keep TCU right now though. I'm hoping that the B12 doesn't scoop them up.

As for other teams, I think the Big East really really needs to pursue Baylor. They are unhappy with the B12 right now, but, more important than that, it's possible that both the B12 and BE will survive all of this, but, the odds seem that one is destined to get split up. The Big East needs to poach a team or two from over there to get the upper-hand in the "who's going to survive" battle.

Beyond that, Temple is an option later down the road. Not 2012, but maybe add in 2014 if they keep trending upward.

• Content Count:  325

How CBS Sports envision how are conference will look in 2014:  They have the Big 12 at 10 with adding only BYU and VT going to the SEC and Uconn in the ACC.   

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/collegefootball/story/15623988/conference-swapping-will-lead-to-realignment-in-standings

Big East

With Syracuse and Pittsburgh announcing their departure and others reportedly making efforts to do the same, it looked like the Big East was not going to survive this wave of realignment. After a three-hour meeting in downtown New York, John Marinatto emerged with "aggressive" plans to expand and replace the dearly departed. The landscape for football looks much different, but the openings in our expansion plans give AQ opportunities to some of the up-and-coming programs in the nation. Here's how the power rankings shape up for our new-look Big East.

1. TCU: Rose Bowl rings, a brand new renovation to their stadium, and now an annual shot at an AQ BCS berth. The Horned Frogs have been building this program over the past decade and they should jump right to the front of their new conference upon arrival.

2. West Virginia: The Mountaineers' lack of a solid television market and some other non-football concerns may/may not have kept them from making a move in the recent expansion wave. But the football program can be a contender in any conference, the new Big East especially.

3. South Florida: Skip Holtz gained a certain amount of respect in Tampa due to his football lineage. But if 2011 ends up being the kind of season many expect, the son of Dr. Lou will have a name for himself and a HUGE school ready to provide him with the tools necessary to be a contender.

4. Central Florida: Many pundits have referred to the Knights' football program as a "sleeping giant." I think the advances they've made in recruiting along with a passionate fan base will result in UCF living up to its reputation.

5. Louisville: Charlie Strong was overdue for his first head coaching job. He'll get the Cardinals back to being Big East contenders with a few years of his own recruiting classes. He's a great coach who I believe gets the most out of what he has. Unfortunately what he has right now is a little too green for Big East competition.

6. Navy: After being promoted to head coach in 2007, Ken Niumatalolo has delivered three straight seasons of eight-plus wins for the Midshipmen. His teams are bruising and physical and a nightmare to face. No reason to think any of that changes after Navy sheds its independent status.

7. Houston: When Kevin Sumlin took control of the program, he continued the progress and rebuilding that started in the mid-2000s. The Cougars have been known for high-powered offenses thanks to good coaching and the quarterbacking of Kevin Kolb and Case Keenum. But they will need more than offensive fireworks for perennial success at the AQ level.

8. Cincinnati: Jury's out on whether Butch Jones is the right man for the job, but the Bearcats have enough young talent around the program to keep them mildly competitive in the newly aligned Big East.

9. Rutgers: This may seem shortsighted, but I'm struggling to see Rutgers emerge from this expansion on top of the new arrivals. 2010's performance was supposedly a fluke, but if the course for 2011 doesn't change it might be the start of a trend.

10. Air Force: As long as the Falcons have Troy Calhoun for a while, they can find their way in the new conference. But something tells me it will be much more difficult to keep him in Colorado Springs after the new spotlight gives him more national exposure.

I don't really have a problem with this alignment at all. Would like to add 2 more to get to 12.

Mr Potato head will have Villanova and Georgetown ready to play by then, yeah!

• Content Count:  21,023
  • Days Won:  38

Yes with this  potential lineup,  I would assume that Dr Lou's son will be in the  SEC or Notre Dame by 2014.

NO NO NO NO NO NO

• Content Count:  1,204

If they expand beyond 10, then they'll get a larger deal and per program payout could be higher.

I don't know if they can just run off and get a larger deal.  They do have the ESPN/ABC deal for first tier games expiring after 2013.  The Fox deal was just signed.  The ESPN deal pays $3.6M per game aired.

And I doubt TCU is going to the Big XII.  They will either stay in the MWC or come to the Big East.  Texas won't want them in and I'm not sure Oklahoma will either.  The MWC may have a chance to get a waiver, but it would be based on Boise State and TCU.  The rank and file of the MWC is not as good as our rank and file.

The only major difference between the Big East and those other BCS conferences is we don't have the elite program up top.  We're exactly like the ACC unless Florida State or VT become a power once more.  That's one reason why TCU is being added - and they are in a rebuild year.  That's also why our success is important along with WVU.  If we can establish ourselves as a consistently elite team, top 10 then we anchor the league.  We have the best chance of doing that right now because of our location and our coaching.  We are in the middle of a talent hotbed.  We have the best chance to reload along with TCU, who also happens to be in a talent hotbed.  And WVU has been able to put together some great teams recently too.  We've also seen Louisville do it and Strong may be able to accomplish something there.

As long as the Big East stays together, it will have AQ status for the next two seasons.  This year and next we have a chance to make some statements and rise in the polls.  We play FSU next year in Tampa.  We also can get into a BCS bowl or two as our talent matures and get some strong recruiting classes to build on our success. 

West Virginia also can prove itself this week.  And I know that NC State has a lot of issues, but Cincy put the beatdown on them.  I think the remaining Big East teams are very motivated to show that they belong in a BCS conference.  If West Virginia can beat LSU, I can see both of us coming in undefeated on December 1.  And if that can happen then the Big East will have a shot at getting two BCS slots and drawing a big audience.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Big East

Well they forgot to include ECU and Memphis... that is your 2 extra teams that will likely be added to the Big East... as another poster stated we will probably hit 14 when Georgetown and Nova are ready to make the move.

I see what Potato Head is trying to do, but his plans will take YEARS to work out... at best we have a few months before the BigXII comes a calling for Louisville, which is a somewhat natural rival of Mizzou, Kansas and Kansas State.

We need to add some new teams right now that can vote up the exit fee to an astronomical amount that will prevent raiding. I imagine that $20 Million would do it.

If we bump our exit fee up to $20 million (for football schools only) then the BigXII and SEC will have to factor in which is more attractive... paying $20M for a Big East school or $20M for an ACC school. I would bet my pay check that the SEC, BigXII, and B1G will go after an ACC school for $20M then a Big East school.

The only reason why we are getting raided is because there is nothing stopping teams from leaving... Potato Head has this hippie mentality where he does **** on the honor system.

Someone needs to start a "Fire Marrianto" website or facebook page... this clown needs to go

• Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

Not sure if this was posted, but I just saw this

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2011/09/report_big_12_eyes_tcu_louisvi.html

NJ.com is reporting that the Big 12's top choices for a 10th team in the conference to replace Texas A&M are TCU and Louisville.

TCU is set to join the Big East next year. Louisville has been in the conference since 2005.

From the report:

Geographically, TCU makes the most sense, but Texas’ long-standing opposition to adding the Horned Frogs could turn the Big 12 toward Louisville. The league already has a strong presence in the state of Texas (with Texas, Baylor and Texas Tech) and could extend its conference footprint by adding Louisville.

Orangebloods.com, a website that covers Texas and the Big 12, reported TCU “tops the list to be No. 10,†according to their sources.

But a leading college official with working knowledge of the situation said: “Texas does not want TCU because TCU gives the Big 12 nothing they don’t already have and sharing money with a school that adds no value makes no sense.â€

NJ.com also quotes a Big 12 official as saying that Louisville could be a target “once the Big 12 gets its house in order.â€

From the Orangebloods.com report:

TCU is moving up the list of potential candidates because of its presence in college football under Gary Patterson. The Horned Frogs have announced they will leave the Mountain West for the Big East after this season. But those plans could be on hold, sources said.

Expanding outside the current geographic footprint of the Big 12 has always been seen as a priority of the league (it was verbalized by Dan Beebe last year) to draw more television sets. But it appears the TV partners of the Big 12 (ABC/ESPN and Fox) would be comfortable enough with TCU replacing A&M to continue paying out the money in their current contracts with the league, sources said.

Texas appears to want to grow only to 10 schools. UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Wednesday he favors 10 because the path to a BCS championship is more clear without a league title game. But Dodds said it will obviously be discussed by everyone in the Big 12. The possibility of adding schools like Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati will be discussed by Big 12 presidents, sources said. But some wonder if that makes a lot of geographic sense.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Not too sure how accurate that article is when Dodds also said yesterday he'd like to see the Big 12 go back to 12 teams.

BYU is the program I have heard to be the top candidate for the 10th spot.

• Content Count:  29

I think that the best we can do for now is expect the worst and hope for the best......whatever those may be.....i mean we all know the worst would be loosing AQ status.....and the best....well the sky is the limit......

As for today and this weekend.....GO BULLS....lets smoke UTEP.....oh and lets hope they bring some of the girls that i have been seeing on the girls of UTEP thread with them.....

Archived