• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,685
  • Days Won:  8

Okay Big12 is just going to be dominated by UT and OU with their own TV networks, then everyone else sharing a B12 conference network...

I could see that the conference would want USF to put their conference network in the state of Florida... which certainly is the largest market they can move into right now I would think.

So, if they want to get back to 12 what makes the most sense. Adding Texas teams doesn't really help expand any TV network and it would hurt the non-texas schools in recruiting so that helps us out. Our size helps us out as well I imagine versus a TCU.

Geography and Academics are not in our favor though, but we're not much worse than their other options...

He does keep mentioning keeping the geography tight... "fans can drive to games... student athletes not miss extra class hours from travel..."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

He does keep mentioning keeping the geography tight... "fans can drive to games... student athletes not miss extra class hours from travel..."

They can say that all they want, but more $$$$$ are what they want.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm gonna guess that all the references to geography are excuses why they did not go the Pac-12 to save face.  If they went there (especially without the Texas teams), almost all their games would be long travel. 

Adding one or two conference teams to the Big 12 that are further away still means they have several teams close by.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

And here we go.  We could be stuck in a dead conference  >:D  They do have Boise and TCU to buoy their request to be granted the BCS AQ status that the BE has right now.  Not looking good for the home team.

UCF's path to BCS could be through C-USA, Mountain West partnership

Conference USA and Mountain West Conference representatives will meet next week in Dallas to discuss a potential alliance to earn a coveted automatic Bowl Championship Series bid.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/

• Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

Neinas will get USF in B12, those presidents don't understand TV Markets and business opportunties both of which USF delivers besides solid football and brand new Olympic sports facilities. He's probably the only Commish that would takes Judy or Doug's call which helps :)

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

And here we go.  We could be stuck in a dead conference  >:D  They do have Boise and TCU to buoy their request to be granted the BCS AQ status that the BE has right now.  Not looking good for the home team.

UCF's path to BCS could be through C-USA, Mountain West partnership

Conference USA and Mountain West Conference representatives will meet next week in Dallas to discuss a potential alliance to earn a coveted automatic Bowl Championship Series bid.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/

TCU would have to go back to the Mountain West for this to happen. The Mountain West should be pissed at the thought of adding all of the C-USA teams. That would hurt their chances at a BCS bid.

• Content Count:  9,685
  • Days Won:  8

Well then I think USF would have to be near the top of the discussions and there is no way our name is not being thrown around with our TV market, recruiting location, and a ranked team.

And OU and Texas can come into FL and maybe take some of the SEC's recruits. They could also make their big wig meetings in St. Pete... I imagine all of teams would enjoy semi-annual trips to sunny Tampa and the players might like playing at RJS.

I think adding BYU, USF and WVU would be the strongest move they could make...

BYU with a decent team and large fan base

USF with TV market and recruiting and ranked team

WVU for their combo of good bball and football

I don't think TCU would have to go back to the Mountain West for this to happen.  And CUSA teams would not be going to the Mountain West.  Each conference would remain as they are today, they would just have a "Super Conference Championship Game" pitting the winner of each conference against the other.  Scheduling would not include all 20-something teams, they would continue to schedule against their own conference.

Really, I think they are hoping that the BCS rules will somehow let the alliance become an AQ.  As the rules are currently written, I don't see that happening.  But they could put enough pressure to bear that the BCS would change the rules to allow it.  I'm pretty sure this scenario works a lot better if an existing BCS conference goes belly up, and the BCS could use another AQ "conference".

Well then I think USF would have to be near the top of the discussions and there is no way our name is not being thrown around with our TV market, recruiting location, and a ranked team.

And OU and Texas can come into FL and maybe take some of the SEC's recruits. They could also make their big wig meetings in St. Pete... I imagine all of teams would enjoy semi-annual trips to sunny Tampa and the players might like playing at RJS.

I think adding BYU, USF and WVU would be the strongest move they could make...

BYU with a decent team and large fan base

USF with TV market and recruiting and ranked team

WVU for their combo of good bball and football

Politically, I don't think USF makes the move without Louisville, and Louisville is a very good geographic fit.

Archived