• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  2

Someone at least open a flap, please.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Haha, ps that was directed at all farting horses on this board, not

trying to single anyone out to call out for all the horrible smell around the BullsPen lately

• Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  1

http://gridironhistory.com/forums/index.php?topic=355

Okay, I just spoke with my source (Direct ties to a coach at an SEC school) and he pretty much confirmed what I posted about yesterday (See THIS THREAD).

Here's the latest:

SEC AD Vote tallies (these are UNCONFIRMED numbers:

Florida State: 11-1 for acceptance.

Mizzou: 8-4 for acceptance.

West Virginia: 10-2 for acceptance.

Right now, Missouri is the bigger target due to 3 major TV markets and 2 minor TV markets that are not shared with any other school.  The biggest holdup/no vote is Alabama, who is afraid of having to give up their permanent cross-division rivalry game with Tennessee.  The workaround for this will be putting Mizzou in the SEC-East temporarily. It gives them an easier travel schedule than the SEC West would.  Again, this would only be a temporary move. I've received word that SEC Commish Slive is about to smack some sense into Alabama to change their vote.

West Virginia WILL be in.  But not until the ACC adds three more team.  They're going after Rutgers, Connecticut and South Florida.  South Florida will replace Florida State.

Florida State is definitely in. As expected, the lone "NO" vote is.... Florida.

Once FSU & WVU are brought in, Mizzou would shift back to SEC West

The SEC has its 3 new teams.  Missouri's offer, though, does have a shelf life. If they bobble this up, West Virginia is in, and Mizzou will be brought in with Florida State.

There's the latest, everyone!

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the inside info.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,460
  • Days Won:  13

Okay, I just spoke with my source (Direct ties to a coach at an SEC school) and he pretty much confirmed what I posted about yesterday (See THIS THREAD).

Here's the latest:

Right now, Missouri is the bigger target due to 3 major TV markets and 2 minor TV markets that are not shared with any other school.  The biggest holdup/no vote is Alabama, who is afraid of having to give up their permanent cross-division rivalry game with Tennessee.  The workaround for this will be putting Mizzou in the SEC-East temporarily. It gives them an easier travel schedule than the SEC West would.  Again, this would only be a temporary move. I've received word that SEC Commish Slive is about to smack some sense into Alabama to change their vote.

West Virginia WILL be in.  But not until the ACC adds three more team.  They're going after Rutgers, Connecticut and South Florida.  South Florida will replace Florida State.

The SEC has its 3 new teams.  Missouri's offer, though, does have a shelf life. If they bobble this up, West Virginia is in, and Mizzou will be brought in with Florida State.

FSU to the SEC is the best thing that can happen for us.

• Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Here's the latest:

Don't know who this is or if it's true, but this is the best thing I've read on here all day.  Made me happy.  :D

• Content Count:  10,251

That's copied and pasted off some crappy website message board. I don't think the SEC has any plans to go to 16, no one in the news has even mentioned it.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

The SEC will go to 16 eventually. It'll probably be before 2014 when we lose our AQ status in the BE.

If they poach FSU I've heard all along we're a pretty safe replacement on the ACC's behalf.

• Content Count:  4,074

I look forward to the uncertainty of conference re-alignment to continue until we lose our AQ in 2014.  This blows.  I want this settled now.  This has the same affect on recruting as a coaching change.  Uncertainty is never cool.  Would you take a job at an employer that was in the news everyday because it may or may not be moving or closing or laying off people or hiring or going offshore?  Well, in this economy, yes, but if you had a choice, you'd probably go with something more stable.

• Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

http://gridironhistory.com/

SEC News: Florida State, Missouri & West Virginia

Today at 11:50:36 AM by Douglas

Follow @BearlyDoug on Twitter!

Here's the latest:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mizzou: Should I stay or should I go....

Today at 12:48:20 AM by Douglas

I'm gonna take some heat for this and will probably lose the few current Big12 twitter followers that I've got (GREAT people, mind you).

Okay, y'all know I had to find a HILARIOUS video to preface this.  We watched all the disinformation being spread around when Texas A&M announced tthat they were leaving.

We also received warning from a few people directly tied with Mizzou to be careful of misinformation and disinformation.  Let's face it... we should expect this from the remaining Big 12 schools.  Some information was purposely disseminated from either Texas or Baylor (Loyal lap dog to Texas/Big 12) when TAMU made their decision.

Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State all used threats of legal action to keep TAMU in check... until the SEC and TAMU decided to call their bluff.  Not to take anything away from Missouri, but they're no Texas A&M.

Right now, ESPN, Texas and the Big 12 have a vested interest in keeping as many schools as possible, otherwise the ESPN/Texas (LHN) contract is null and void.

As I said earlier, there is a lot of information purposely being spewed out.  Apparently the latest one is this:

@DufresneLATimes: Mizzou official said they'd rather be in Big10 but might go SEC because "that's what's left"

Pretty sure that's being used to get hits to his blog or whatnot... I don't think any school would be so stupid as to make that kind of a statement.

It doesn't pass the smell test, at all, and seems to be very contrary to what a good portion of the Mizzou Fan base wants.

Regardless of what happens, the ESPN... uhh... Texas... erm... the Big 12 needs to focus on the remaining lapdogs schools that want to stay so they can get national powerhouse schools like TCU, SMU and Louisville to join.

Mizzou needs to make a decision one way or another.  Pick a conference and GO with it.  Do it fast, though... many fans are tired of the circus this is creating.  We just want to be able to enjoy the sports themselves.

Should I stay or Should I go... so fitting here.0 comments | Write Comment

Greetings, Guest! You are welcome to post a reply to the above article, however, it will be held for review/approval. Want to bypass this? Either Log in or Register for an account. Yes, you can also register via your @Twitter handle, too!

Name: Email:

(Email address will not be given to anyone. We have a strict NO SPAM policy on GridironHistory.com! :D)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latest updates in the Great Conference Shakeup of 2011, 2012, 2013

Yesterday at 02:13:48 PM by Douglas

Good afternoon, everyone!

Here's the latest rumblings and mumblings.  Some of this stuff is based on speculation; some is based on fact; some is based on logic and still some is based on what's already happened.  I'll be focusing on the ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12 and the SEC with this update.

Let me start this off with the recent news of Pittsburgh and Syracuse moving to the ACC.  Word has gotten back to me that ALL of the Big East member institutions (with the exception of TCU) were going to work together to disband the Big East.  This would have eliminated any "Early Exit" fees (rumored to be around $25 million) that would have had to be paid.  I am not faulting the ACC for moving on the invitations for Pitt & 'Cuse, however, because Pitt and 'Cuse pulled the plug and jumped ship, they effectively screwed over the remaining Big East schools. These remaining schools WILL have to pay a buyout, though it may not have to be $25 million.

I do apologize for the long read, so if you're looking for a specific conference, use the links below to jump accordingly:

ACC

Big East

Big Ten

Big 12

SEC

Let's delve into the remaining members of the Big East:

I am happy to say that I was dead on about Pittsburgh and Syracuse going to the ACC, though I wasn't expecting Syracuse to make this move so quickly.

Cincinnati (SPECULATIVE) - Pretty decent FB school, very solid Basketball school. While I could see them going to the ACC, I think Cincy will actually end up in either Conference USA (provided that SMU bolts for Big12; see below) or possibly MAC. These guys seem to be pretty happy not being in a premier conference, but still would like to be one of the top three schools wherever they're at.

Connecticut (SPECULATIVE) - Not the greatest football school, but a exceptional Basketball school. If these guys don't get a B1G invite, they will be more than happy to go to the ACC, especially since the ACC is putting more emphasis on Basketball now.

Louisville (SPECULATIVE/LOGIC/FACT) - These guys have pretty decent football and basketball programs.  They've been considering a conference move for a while. Both Big 12 and C-USA member schools are far closer than Big East schools are, so Louisville could reduce travel expenses pretty nicely.  Smart money is that Louisville will get a Big 12 invite and will readily jump over.

Rutgers (SPECULATIVE) - These guys would jump at a chance to join the Big 10 conference. They've got a lot of ties with B1G schools. They would also be a perfect fit for the ACC, having played several games against ACC members.  While Rutgers would jump at a B1G invite, they would be a better fit for the ACC and could do more. Smart money says ACC bound.

South Florida - These guys would rather have an SEC invitation, however, they're not ready for the Prime Time just yet.  While they do have a rabid fan base, it's not an SEC caliber one.  With Florida State more than likely SEC bound (See below), the ACC will need another Florida school to replace FSU. Smart money says that South Florida jumps at an ACC invitation.

TCU (SPECULATIVE/LOGIC) -With the Big East on the verge of going under, I look for TCU to join the Big 12. Since they haven't even officially joined the Big East, TCU may be the only team in that conference that will NOT have to pay any exit fees to the Big East.  TCU to the Big 12 is a very solid fit, logically and logistically.  TCU would also be a decent school to replace Mizzou.

West Virginia (LOGIC/FACT) - Out of all the schools in the Big East, only West Virginia is ready to transition into the SEC. Financially, I believe they rank somewhere around #45 - #53 in terms of annual revenues, and they're close to having SEC caliber talent across the board.  The facilities are almost on par with SEC member institutions, so it wouldn't take much to bump things up as needed.  There are three stumbling blocks stopping WVU from being an SEC institution, and I know of two of them now:

* Mizzou's decision as to whether to go for a B1G invite or an SEC invite. If Mizzou dilly dallies around, West Virginia will get the invitation, provided they can address the next issue;

* The Big East $25 million buyout.  Had Pitt and Syracuse played nicely, ALL schools could have greatly reduced or even eliminated this early exit fee. I don't think that WVU will have to pay $25m, but they will have to pay something.

* There's still a third stumbling block involved.  I'm not sure if it's alcohol sales at home stadiums (I believe Neutral stadiums for teams that play in SEC don't have this limitation) or something else, but there IS a third stumbling block. One thing I keep hearing is Academics, though that may be a moot point if we bring another school that has outstanding Academics to offset any issues.

Delving into the ACC now:

Before I start digging into the ACC changes, I need to get something clear with everyone regarding the $22 million buyout and how it pertains to Florida State.  Florida State will round out the SEC to 16 teams. I'm 95% certain on this.

The ACC more than likely asked that Florida State to tow the Party/Company line with all decisions until they are formally accepted into the ACC. This includes participating in all conference decisions and discussions.  In exchange, Florida State would be grandfathered in on the OLD "early exit" fees (rumored to be between $8m and $12m).  The ACC needed the appearance of rock solid stability for their conference, so they could entice the other Big East Schools to come in.  A stable conference is extremely appealing to invitee hopefuls, though the ACC (much like the B1G, Pac 12 and SEC) is on solid ground.  Image and Appearace matter when expanding to Super Conference status.  Trust me, the Seminoles are going to be taken care of by the ACC in exchange for their assistance/cooperation.

It's also important to note that the ACC and SEC are very heavily intertwined in terms of conference leadership.  The SEC will NOT do anything to jeopardize the ACC's sound footings and the ACC will not do anything to potentially harm the SEC. While there are issues with some of each conference member institutions towards some of the institutions in the other conference, everyone involved knows that the relationship between the ACC and the SEC is a symbiotic one; the success of one is directly tied to the success of the other.

With all of that being said, I've already identified the three schools (South Florida to replace Florida State, Connecticut and Rutgers) that will join the ACC to bring the ACC to 16 members.  This will give the ACC a virtual lock on the TV market up and down the entire east coast and then some.

Onto the Big 10:

This is where it gets interesting.  The Big 10 knows that in order to compete against the SEC, the ACC and eventually the Pac 12 to retain market share, they have to expand to 16 schools within the next three years to remain competative.  They've already brought on Nebraska to bring the number of schools up to 12 schools.  Here's who I see them adding.

Oh, and I do expect the Big 10 (B1G) to rename themselves to the Big 16, once they expand.

Notre Dame (LOGIC) - One of two schools at the D1-A level that has never joined a conference. ND is probably one of the most financially stable and widely viewed schools anywhere at any level. Given that ND is an Independent, there are no buyouts to deal with, so the B1G can plunk down a wad of cash to entice ND easily.  The sticking point for ND is their TV contact; Will the B1G allow ND to keep its TV contract in place, or will ND have to give some of that money to the B1G?  I cannot see any other conference ever having a chance to sniff at ND.

Navy (LOGIC) - The second of three schools at the D1-A level that has never been tied to a conference. Again, no buyouts to deal with. The key sticking point to get Navy to come on board is to preserve as many historical games as possible and to still allow Navy to play at the various stadiums that they currently play.  This will be a bit more of a challenge. Air Force, Army and Notre Dame are games that have to be preserved. If both Navy and ND join, then this would mean that Navy can still play Air Force and Army as OOC and pick up two additional OOC games, more than likely against schools that have played them time and time again (Virginia, William & Mary, etc).

Ohio (SPECULATION) - I'm not sure how their Academics are, but I also know that they're not happy playing second fiddle to Ohio State. I could see them receiving a B1G invite, though it would be a HUGE jump up from the MAC. (If you recall earlier, I said that I could see Cincy going to the MAC... so they could replace Ohio if the B1G comes calling for OU).

Iowa State (SPECULATION) - I don't know how well this would work, but I do know that it could rekindle the IU/ISU rivalry, much like OU/OSU would.  Academics seems to be a big question, though ISU does have the financial base to play with the big boys, as long as they have another big boy they can hook their car onto. ISU would be a good grab for Basketball.

I'm not solid on Ohio and Iowa State moving to B1G.  Too many question marks involved, but it definitely would make for some interesting match ups across all sports.

Big 12 - The game of Musical Chairs is growing old...:

Missouri (LOGIC/FACT) - With the BoC voting to give a single person the power to shop for conference options, this signals that Mizzou is gone from the Big 12.  They're hoping for a B1G invitation (rejected once already). They're hoping a second time will bring positive results.  Based on what I've seen, heard and know of the situation, Mizzou will be coming to the SEC. In what order is up to Mizzou.  If they dilly dally around, then West Virginia (as stated above) comes in before Mizzou does. If Mizzou doesn't make a decision quick, they could be on the outside looking in and will have to settle back into the Big 12 or a conference that they don't want to be in.

If they're invited into the SEC, they'll have a LOT to do to bring ALL facilities up to SEC standards.

One key player from Mizzou was the Big 12 Chairman, who stepped down from that post.  All the signs are there that Mizzou is GONE from the Big 12.

Louisville - Addressed above in the Big East section

TCU - Addressed above in the Big East section

BYU (SPECULATION/LOGIC) - They've already had discussions on joining the Big 12, and the signs were there a few weeks back during the BYU/Texas game. Things cooled off considerably with Oklahoma/Oklahoma State considering their options.  With the news of the Tier 3 financials being restructured and all schools agreeing to a 6 year commitment. This could lock OU/OSU into the Big 12 for a while longer, which is very appealing to BYU. IF the Big 12 snags Louisville, SMU (see below) and TCU), I expect that BYU will come in and bring the Big 12 back to 12 teams.

SMU (SPECULATION) - Southern Methodist has been looking for a way to re-associate themselves back into the Texas Brand of Football. After their antics and subsequent failure of the SWC, SMU has been working hard to reestablish their spot as a top tier program. They have struggled to do that being in a mid-range conference (I'm not trying to insult Conference USA here, people.  Don't send me any hate emails, tweets, posts, etc).

If TCU and BYU comes in as well, this would make for a very interesting Big 12 conference. Baylor Baptists, Texas Christian, Southern Methodist and BYU Mormons. Four religiously oriented institutions.  I suppose we could see a new trophy titled "Battle of The Golden Pulpit" come to light.  These four schools could bring a bit of stability back to the Big 12 and keep it together for several more years, though I would suspect the Auto Bid to the BCS might go away without any premier schools aside from TX/OU/OSU.

SEC - Will someone PLEASE bring some sanity to all of this!:

As indicated above, I expect Mizzou to come into the SEC.  Everything is there for the move. This would finally give Arkansas a TRUE SEC rival (Missouri leads series: 3-2-0, 1-1 in Bowl games). Given that the two schools are inexorably linked and so close together, these should provide for some very interesting match ups going forward for all sports.

Everyone keeps asking me about 14 or 16 teams and if/when this will happen.  If I were a betting man (and I'm usually not, but I would in this situation), I would say 14 teams for 2012-13 and 16 teams for 2013-14.

All of my sources have stood firm on Mizzou, Florida State and West Virginia.  Of those three, Mizzou and WVU make perfect sense.

Those of you that are saying that FSU won't bring any new TV markets or overlaps too much or can't compete are dead wrong.  FSU bridges an area that's not quite covered by Southern Alabama, Southern Georgia and Northern/Western Florida.  That's a pretty decent sized market that FSU covers.

Oh, and don't bring the "Florida won't allow it to happen".  There's enough votes from other schools to allow this to happen.  Remember, a Majority vote would need to be had (at least 8 votes).  I've heard that FSU has either 8 or 9 votes to accept them.  Florida State is also willing to do what is needed to finish bringing all facilities up to SEC standards (they don't have to do much, though, since ACC standards are almost as stringent as SEC's).

Again, I apologize for the length of this. If you read the entire thing... thank you!  If you're looking for specific info, use the quick links towards the top of this post.

Got questions that's not covered in the above?  Ask 'em.  If I did cover it and you ask about it, I'll tell ya to read the entire thing.

Archived