• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

More.  It looks like ECU, UCF and possibly Temple added tomorrow at BE presidents conf. call.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/sports/ncaafootball/big-east-presidents-to-discuss-possible-new-members.html?_r=1&ref=sports

UCF and ECU I certainly hope not. Adding UCF would make USF's position even worse. Navy, Temple, Boise State, and SMU are the only ones that make sense for USF and the Big East.

how the **** does Boise make sense in any capacity?

this isn't a "grasp at any team available"... the Big East is trying to stay regional. if TCU hadn't left, we MIGHT have added more western schools, but not now. SMU is as far west as we're going.

Navy, Army, Temple and SMU are best choices to get to 10 now. ECU and UMass for 12.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

UMass?

I'm not even going to get into how stupid it would be to add a I-AA team.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

More.  It looks like ECU, UCF and possibly Temple added tomorrow at BE presidents conf. call.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/sports/ncaafootball/big-east-presidents-to-discuss-possible-new-members.html?_r=1&ref=sports

I don't know.  I hope I'm wrong in a way.  But I think it's too little, too late. 

I keep thinking in my mind, they are on this conference call.  Our favorite commish says, "Ok guys let's take a quick vote on three invites..."   

"Ok, that is six yes votes.  I'll start making phone calls after we're done here.  Does anyone else have something they'd like to discuss before we end the call?"

WVU AD - "Just one little thing, we're accepting an invite to the SEC tomorrow."

Commish - "Uh, well, uh, ok um anyone else?"

Louisville AD - "Well, now that you mention it, we've already accepted an invite to the Big 12.  We forgot there was still a Big East until you called us this morning for the phone call, sorry about that"

Commish - Gulp.  "Ok let's move on... anyone else have anything to share?"

"Anyone?"

"Anyone still on the call?"

"Hello?"

"Hello, we are still here" says the Prez and AD from USF.

"Can you hear us, is this thing on?"  they state.

"What about us?" 

Crickets.....

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

BE has no choice at this point to worry about USF needs if it wants to survive. I can't blame them for going after any of these CUSA who are willing to join to keep the conference going.

Only one program really needs to be added to offset TCU next season. I am guessing Temple is at the top of the list of the programs mentioned since Navy is out of the picture.

• Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

sounds like invites will go out later today...

BREAKING: Big East Presidents to have an expansion themed call tomo morning. Invitations possible. http://nyti.ms/pnjBts

twitter is buzzing this morning about ECU and UCF, among others...

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

UCF and ECU I certainly hope not. Adding UCF would make USF's position even worse. Navy, Temple, Boise State, and SMU are the only ones that make sense for USF and the Big East.

I agree, but adding UCF is the only way for USF to remain in a AQ conference or at best buy enough time to get out of the Big East before the Big East loses its AQ status.

Also SMU and Boise State are not possible additions anymore... the only way we were going to add them is if TCU stuck around... now that TCU is leaving I don't see the Big East expanding into the West, but I could be wrong... the Big East could add SMU as a way to get back at TCU, after all they are both rivals and a SMU team with AQ status would be able to get better recruits and over time will be able to challenge in town rival TCU even more.

The only thing that is certain is that the Big East needs to add enough football teams to reach the 12 team mark as soon as possible... right now we have 6 football teams... TCU left before joining, and Pitt-Cuse don't count since they are ACC bound as soon as they can get out... thus we need 6 football teams that can vote.

Why?

Because 12 football teams out numbers the basketball schools and can do the following:

1 - Fire Potato Head

2 - Kick out the basketball schools

3 - Raise the exit fee to an extremely high amount

4 - Raise the exit time frame from 27 months to 5 years or something ludicrous like that

5 - Sign a new TV contract, at this point anything would be welcome

6 - Save the Big East

Beggars can't be choosers... at this point USF has no other option... its either add CUSA, Sun Belt, and Service Academy schools with the slight hope that this new conference can keep its AQ status or face the possibility of going Independent / being downgraded to the CUSA and losing Skip Holtz sooner rather then later.

I don't see a choice.

• Content Count:  325

All new invitees better take care when considering moving to the Big East and be ready to sue when the AQ is yanked away.

• Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

All new invitees better take care when considering moving to the Big East and be ready to sue when the AQ is yanked away.

That's why the BE's only choice is to take non-AQ re-treads.  No one else would want to come near this conference.  CUSA teams will be the only ones to jump.  Back in 2004, we did the same thing (Came into the BE when we were uncertain of it's future AQ status).

• Content Count:  1,757

Why would anyone join this conference right now. TCU was our hope to hold onto AQ. Without them and any other BCS level addition AQ is gone. You would have to be an idiot to join BE right now. Service academies are not going to walk into this mess.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Why would anyone join this conference right now. TCU was our hope to hold onto AQ. Without them and any other BCS level addition AQ is gone. You would have to be an idiot to join BE right now. Service academies are not going to walk into this mess.

Big East Lite is still better than CUSA ...

Archived