• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  325
  • Days Won:  0

We would still be in a conference controlled by basketball schools  and what kind of $$$$ does a school like ECU gives BE in a new television contract?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This is turning into a comedy.  If I'm wrong and somehow, someway no other Big East team leaves in the next few weeks, this is the right move.  If I'm wrong and the Big East wants to continue to be a viable football conference after the rest of the schools bolt, this is the right move.  Could you imagine the Big East inviting 6 or 8 new teams, after almost everyone has left?  The league would let the other teams go so the new teams would get to play for an AQ bid for a couple of years.  That would be enough to entice them into the BE. 

Weird.

• Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

i think these are two of the less attractive options, as i think the service academies + Temple and SMU is the way to go...

but at this point i dont really give a ****. UCF and ECU arent going to save the BE's AQ status one way or the other, and neither would the addition of any mid-major school at this point. i personally believe our AQ status hinges on WVU: as they go so goes our AQ, and i think they're all but gone.

so really what does it matter? UCF and ECU can play in an AQ conference for 2 years before we all lose our ****, during which time Pitt and Cuse will be serving their 2 year wait. what does that do for UCF and ECU?  they aren't going to win the conference and get to a BCS bowl (despite UCF's claim that they would go 12-0 first year in the BE), and their recruiting isn't going to improve drastically due to the instability and impending revocation of our AQ status.

it would basically be a 2 year increase in revenue as part of a better conference... the Big East would essentially be paying off these two programs to be placeholders because a 6 team conference is not viable, and securing a future as a solvent mid-major football conference (the basketball schools don't want to lose football revenue, even mid-major football revenue).

we are basically warm bodies to bring in extra revenue for the BE basketball schools at this point. the money USF, Cinci, possibly UCF, ECU generate through football will keep a lil extra money in the basketball schools' pockets.

we've been played.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

More.  It looks like ECU, UCF and possibly Temple added tomorrow at BE presidents conf. call.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/sports/ncaafootball/big-east-presidents-to-discuss-possible-new-members.html?_r=1&ref=sports

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Here is an outside the box thought.

If say our WORST case scenario happens and we are out in the cold.

Instead of all this talk about going back to CUSA.

What if we put all our Olympic sports in the A-10 lets say.....and then go Football only in the MWC.....along the lines of La Tech in the WAC.

I know it sounds crazy....but if USF were in a conference with AFA, Boise State and SDSU.....we could probably help them gain AQ status. I think the travel would be worth it over getting stuck back at the CUSA level. You would only have 4 road trips a year so it wouldn't be as hard as it sounds.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

What if we put all our Olympic sports in the A-10 lets say.....and then go Football only in the MWC.....along the lines of La Tech in the WAC.

I know it sounds crazy....but if USF were in a conference with AFA, Boise State and SDSU.....we could probably help them gain AQ status. I think the travel would be worth it over getting stuck back at the CUSA level. You would only have 4 road trips a year so it wouldn't be as hard as it sounds.

That's a wee bit further outside of just the box ...

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

More.  It looks like ECU, UCF and possibly Temple added tomorrow at BE presidents conf. call.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/sports/ncaafootball/big-east-presidents-to-discuss-possible-new-members.html?_r=1&ref=sports

I don't know.  I hope I'm wrong in a way.  But I think it's too little, too late. 

I keep thinking in my mind, they are on this conference call.  Our favorite commish says, "Ok guys let's take a quick vote on three invites..." 

"Ok, that is six yes votes.  I'll start making phone calls after we're done here.  Does anyone else have something they'd like to discuss before we end the call?"

WVU AD - "Just one little thing, we're accepting an invite to the SEC tomorrow."

Commish - "Uh, well, uh, ok um anyone else?"

Louisville AD - "Well, now that you mention it, we've already accepted an invite to the Big 12.  We forgot there was still a Big East until you called us this morning for the phone call, sorry about that"

Commish - Gulp.  "Ok let's move on... anyone else have anything to share?"

"Anyone?"

"Anyone still on the call?"

"Hello?"

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

That's a wee bit further outside of just the box ...

Well I didn't say how far outside the box it was...... ;D

I think we should do it just for spite......it would really tick the UCFers off.

• Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

UCF and ECU I certainly hope not. Adding UCF would make USF's position even worse. Navy, Temple, Boise State, and SMU are the only ones that make sense for USF and the Big East.

• Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

BE has no choice at this point to worry about USF needs if it wants to survive. I can't blame them for going after any of these CUSA who are willing to join to keep the conference going.

Archived