• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Why would anyone join this conference right now. TCU was our hope to hold onto AQ. Without them and any other BCS level addition AQ is gone. You would have to be an idiot to join BE right now. Service academies are not going to walk into this mess.

WVU could be in for a big season and they'll finished ranked high enough this season.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't think the service academies are completely out of the picture.  The plan before Pitt and Syracuse pulled the rug out from under the BE was to add the two service acadamies and one other to get to 12 football, 18 total.  (The service academies being football only)  This apparently was going to happen within days, before the Pitt/Syracuse debacle.

At the moment, the conference is down to six football.  I think the conference needs to get back to nine or ten and look stable before Air Force and Navy will jump back in.  ECU, Temple and UCF would jump because even two years of AQ exposure and money would be worth the risk that it all blows up.  Air Force and Navy are not desperate, but they would move into if it means a better situation.

I was really hoping that Mizzou would bolt so the Big 12 would have to move on multiple BE teams and really get the ball rolling.  It is going to happen eventually, I'd rather whatever happens go ahead and happen now than have to face this every year for the next two or three years until the dust settles.

• Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

Why would anyone join this conference right now. TCU was our hope to hold onto AQ. Without them and any other BCS level addition AQ is gone. You would have to be an idiot to join BE right now. Service academies are not going to walk into this mess.

Big East Lite is still better than CUSA ...

If there's money to be had, you can bet that ESPN, BCS, etc. would want to keep the BE as an AQ conference. If we let them. By that, I mean, if we're able to hold together as a conference and add some semi-legit warm bodies than can be spun as having "potential." Not a huge fan of UCF, but they've won their conference, so that's a "plus." ECU has some strengths. If BE can keep its current teams from bolting and add a few new schools, I'm pretty sure there'd be enough financial pressure to keep our AQ.

I have no reason other than witnessing the greed going on in college football to feel this way. What gives me hope is ESPN. Do we need to have 187 college bowls (mild exaggeration), half of which are owned by ESPN? No, but we do.

• Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Honestly, as a fan, I don't mind playing UCF and ECU every year if they have AQ.

• Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

Honestly, as a fan, I don't mind playing UCF and ECU every year if they have AQ.

Me, either. Especially if it's in "our" conference, and not back in C-USA. A watered down Big East is still the Big East, which is, and may continue to be, AQ.

Someone in another thread mentioned that it's probably easier to regain AQ status than try to get it if you've never had it. If the Big East manages to stay together, even if we lose AQ for a time, I think our future still looks (relatively) good. We'd need to play our asses off to get in and stay in the Top 25, but I think we'd be able to claw an AQ back for the BE.

Besides that, there may not even be AQ in a few years if we go to a playoff. So, in that case, it won't even matter. And I rather have a semi-regional league with UCF and ECU than some random team from out West.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Days Won:  6

Good read from Boston Globe with some behind the scenes info leading up to the Pitt/Cuse move...

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

big 12 should go to 16

big eastneeds to reinvent itself

throw out nd

throw out no football schools

no service academies

bump up exit fee to 20 million and start looking for schools to join

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Twitter beginning to buzz that we'll soon hear Mizzou to SEC and WVU to B12.

I have a hard time believing WVU to the Big 12.  Mac Brown was on ESPN the other day and said that he wanted the conference to stay regional.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Twitter beginning to buzz that we'll soon hear Mizzou to SEC and WVU to B12.

I have a hard time believing WVU to the Big 12.  Mac Brown was on ESPN the other day and said that he wanted the conference to stay regional.

Plus, I think Texas really wants the league to stay at 9 programs and will exert their power to do so.

Archived