• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East bowl may debut Dec. 21, 2008 in St. Pete

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

I think the problem with attracting an ACC team is money.

So why is the money not a problem to attracting a Big East team?

As much as I hate to use ACC football as any sort of guideline for smart business decisions, that's a question that needs to be asked.

The Emerald and Humanitarian pay out a lot more than this game

If the St Pete game is unwilling or unable to live up to the lofty standards of the Roady's Humanitarian Bowl, it doesn't deserve to be born.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Gary, simply because the Big East is desparate for bowl matchups, one or both of the two newest bowls will fail, and St. Pete is a good replacment.

The PAPAJOHNS Bowl payed out 350K per team as compared to the 850k the Emerald paid and 750k the Humanitarian paid.

What will  bowl game that has to cap attendance around 40,000 be able to payout? I dout enough to attract the ACC.

ESPN practically owns the Big East and ACC with their current football contracts, yet the ACC isn't a part of this bowl game...

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Gary, simply because the Big East is desparate for bowl matchups, one or both of the two newest bowls will fail, and St. Pete is a good replacment.

The PAPAJOHNS Bowl payed out 350K per team as compared to the 850k the Emerald paid and 750k the Humanitarian paid.

What will  bowl game that has to cap attendance around 40,000 be able to payout? I dout enough to attract the ACC. ESPN practically owns the Big East and ACC with their current football contracts, yet the ACC isn't a part of this bowl game...

I believe the possible football setup at the trop has temporary stands on one side, thereby increasing potential attendance in the 45-50K range.  I could be wrong about this, but I thought I saw that somewhere once.

• Content Count:  714
  • Days Won:  1

Game is a bad idea, unless it is replacing papajohns.com bowl.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

TX, I think Brett said seating will be set up for 32,000. Now if USF plays that can expand, but  considering the Emerald Bowl is a similar setup and only holds 38,000 it's not going to be a large capacity.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

What will  bowl game that has to cap attendance around 40,000 be able to payout? I dout enough to attract the ACC. ESPN practically owns the Big East and ACC with their current football contracts, yet the ACC isn't a part of this bowl game...

I believe the possible football setup at the trop has temporary stands on one side, thereby increasing potential attendance in the 45-50K range.  I could be wrong about this, but I thought I saw that somewhere once.

As stated below...seating will be much less in the Dome...because if they brought in a ton of high (say 35-40 rows) of temporary bleacher (larger then they had for hockey), you will block out a lot of permanent seats from the stands.

Most important thing is to get the bowl approved...as the Champs Sports Bowl showed...when a new sponsor wants to make a splash...the $$$$$ for payouts soar (Champs Sports Bowl went from $750,000 to $2.25 Million with new sponsorship by Champs.)

• Content Count:  4,642

what a crappy situation for the BE.  cusa just drags the bowl down the toilet.

• Content Count:  6,928

Plus it is on a Sunday competing with the NFL.

Sucks all the way around.

UCiF has to be wetting their pants in anticipation of another beatdown bye our Bulls....

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

UCiF has to be wetting their pants in anticipation of another beatdown bye our Bulls....

We better not be in this bowl game. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,755
  • Days Won:  3

We better not be in this bowl game. 

Absolutely! This is not where we want to be. I don't know if this thing's really going to fly

anyway. We're saturated with - here it comes - 'also ran' bowls as is. Once you're relegated

to this sort of thing, about the only positive is the additional practice time. Face it, the PJB

isn't really welcomed with open arms, and this is just more of the same.

On the other hand, let's s'pose it's 'Cuse x UAB. Would you drive over to St. Pete to watch

it, just because it's local? Being honest, there are a very few non-Bull Bowls I care to see.

Archived