• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East bowl may debut Dec. 21, 2008 in St. Pete

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Brett's blog. 

A bowl game against CUSA.  I assume it will be the last Big East bowl.  Makes sense geographically for the northern Big East teams (vacation in warm Florida) but would have liked a tie-in with ACC #7 or SEC #9.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

Can this happen right now?  I figured they couldn't add another one until the current contracts were up.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think this is bad for us. Sure, we could potentially play close to home, but I don't want to play a C-USA team, and that bowl will want to pick us if we aren't in the running for a better bowl.

I hope this doesn't happen unless they get a better opponent. This could be a way for the bowl committee to force the series with UCF to continue.

Having said that, if we don't make a BCS bowl, we probably deserve to be playing there, I just hope that the gator bowl/sun bowl/Car care bowl doesn't say "well, we know the Tampa Bowl would like to keep USF in town, and they are pretty much even with (insert big east team here) for our spot, so we will leave USF there for the Tampa Bowl and take (insert BE team here) instead"

• Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

I think this is bad for us. Sure, we could potentially play close to home, but I don't want to play a C-USA team, and that bowl will want to pick us if we aren't in the running for a better bowl.

I hope this doesn't happen unless they get a better opponent. This could be a way for the bowl committee to force the series with UCF to continue.

Having said that, if we don't make a BCS bowl, we probably deserve to be playing there, I just hope that the gator bowl/sun bowl/Car care bowl doesn't say "well, we know the Tampa Bowl would like to keep USF in town, and they are pretty much even with (insert big east team here) for our spot, so we will leave USF there for the Tampa Bowl and take (insert BE team here) instead"

I don't know how quick they would be too keep us in Tampa, if they do, revenue for hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions are out the door, it may help attendance but would hurt everything else.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Until they contract some other bowls (Pizza) or at least rearrange the bowl matchups, this bowl will have the ambience and intrigue of a hastily planned shotgun wedding.

There is tons of potential for this bowl however.  Hopefully in 2010, we can get a BE vs. SEC or Big10 game.

• Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

My guess is since it's planned to be a CUSA v. BE game that the PapaJohns.com Bowl might be axed, since that currently a CUSA/BE matchup.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

BTW, I'm a getting a little weary of ESPN these days.

Between creating and owning a quirky BE TV package (Fri. night?), having it's parent (ABC Sports) own the rights to our nationally televised saturday games and possibly owning two of our bowls (Pizza & St. Pete), I fear the day this guy replaces Tranghese as big east commish:

CorsoLee04.jpg

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

My guess is since it's planned to be a CUSA v. BE game that the PapaJohns.com Bowl might be axed.

The PapaJohn's Bowl has a MAC tie in if there are not enough Big East teams to fill it, I would assume if we can fill all of the bowl slots, great. If not, I would much rather play at the Trop than in Legion Field.

• Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

To me, any football game in the Trop is a bad idea.  If they want another bowl game in the Tampa area, why don't they just play it in RayJay?  It's a week and a half before New Year's anyway and other cities play two bowl games in the same stadium.  I don't know if the Glazer's make money off of bowl games, but it is a much better venue.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

To me, any football game in the Trop is a bad idea.  If they want another bowl game in the Tampa area, why don't they just play it in RayJay?  It's a week and a half before New Year's anyway and other cities play two bowl games in the same stadium.  I don't know if the Glazer's make money off of bowl games, but it is a much better venue.

Maybe the outback bowl has a contract saying they have the stadium for 12 days prior to their event, and if there is bad weather, they may not be able to paint the field like they want it between the games.  >:D

Archived