• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East bowl may debut Dec. 21, 2008 in St. Pete

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

To me, any football game in the Trop is a bad idea.  If they want another bowl game in the Tampa area, why don't they just play it in RayJay?  It's a week and a half before New Year's anyway and other cities play two bowl games in the same stadium.  I don't know if the Glazer's make money off of bowl games, but it is a much better venue.

Haven't you heard?  The Outback Bowl made a deal with the TSA to reserve RayJay two weeks prior to the actual game.  ;D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

To me, any football game in the Trop is a bad idea.  If they want another bowl game in the Tampa area, why don't they just play it in RayJay?  It's a week and a half before New Year's anyway and other cities play two bowl games in the same stadium.  I don't know if the Glazer's make money off of bowl games, but it is a much better venue.

Maybe the outback bowl has a contract saying they have the stadium for 12 days prior to their event, and if there is bad weather, they may not be able to paint the field like they want it between the games.  >:D

Save some of that venom for December 7, the day after our undefeated and top ranked bulls head into frigid Morgantown for a game that should have been played earlier in the year and . . . . . . errgh . . . . musssst . . not . . give . . innnnto . . fears . . . . . musssst . . not . . give . . innnnto . . fears . . . . baby steps.

1) You won't see USF v UCF in a bowl game in Florida.  My guess is, this is attractive because UCF OR USF could be available for this and sell some tickets, with the other team traveling.

2) A 6-6 USF team against, say, a 9-3 Southern Miss or 8-4 ECU?  Why not?  These "lower bowls" should be against mid-majors... we have the Gator/Sun, Car Care, and Texas against BCS teams.  The other conferences are never going to change their tie-ins for a new, unproven bowl game. (ACC #9 or SEC #9 might - might - be an option... but too often those leagues barely fill their own slots, especially if they get two BCS teams)

If my choices are:

A) Stay home at 6-6

OR

B) Play C-USA in St. Pete, I know what I would choose.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,755

...If my choices are:

A) Stay home at 6-6

OR

B) Play C-USA in St. Pete, I know what I would choose.

Pretty much the same here. It's not an out-of-pocket venture

and, unappealing as it may be from a game standpoint, we still

wrangle an extra month of practice that we would otherwise

not have.

I'm not saying I'm excited about squaring off against Tulsa or

UAB, I'd love a better opponent, but is this also a way of saying

that CUSA is the most preferable of non-BCS conferences?

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

another bad idea brought to you by idiots of the big east

no wonder bc,vt and um left these clowns

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

To me, any football game in the Trop is a bad idea.  If they want another bowl game in the Tampa area, why don't they just play it in RayJay?  

Several reasons:

1) Pre-Christmas Bowl Games don't generally draw well...as its normally teams that are close to .500 records...which means many alumni are not normally excited about spending large chunks of dough right before the holidays...and in some cases...be stucked traveling on say the 23rd or the 24th Christmas Eve fighting to get back home.

2) St Pete Dome will probably only seat approx 35,000-40,000 seats in a football configuration...and a pre-Christmas Bowl game crowd of 25,000-35,000 will look "good" in that stadium...vs a crowd of 25,000-35,000 showing up at the 65,000 seat RJS...which would look BAD.

3) Since the city of St Pete is forking out some of the dough for the game...chances are...they would want the game and a lot of bowl activities to take place in their city...to help gain exposure plus help recoup some of the $$$$.

Not sure if St Pete would help fit the bill for a bowl game and activities played in Tampa.

• Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

I understand those reasons, I just don't think football should be played in a baseball stadium.  One of the bowl games this past year (I think the Emerald Bowl in San Francisco) was played on a baseball field and both teams had to share a sideline because the available playing area was too small.  I don't know if the Trop would have the same issue.  Regardless, I don't like the idea.

• Content Count:  5,591

Gives us another game, what the hell, a bad Big East team beating up on a good CUSA team, always fun to watch.

Guest pascobull

Yeah its going to be a crappy venue for now but I think if they want the new stadium this is going to part of making sure it gets approved. So therefore I approve. That new one looks so nice.

Archived