• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,494
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

nevermind....

Edited by bullstampede9922

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Huh?  Why would you blame a player who transferred here, helped turn the program around and won a conference championship??  USF got as much out of these kids as they got from USF.

What is is your actual definition when you say "turn the program around"? Does that mean for a week at the beginning of the season where we win 3 games in a row after going 0-30 the previous year? Is it being 1 game over .500 after a month? Is it winning a conference championship for 1 season or is it a national championship in 1 year? What is it called when the core of the team leaves during the off-season and the team then goes 0-30 the following season? Is that actually "turned around"? "Turning around a program" for USF is not yet realized because it takes more than 1 season to come to that determination. If we revert to the status quo of USF basketball next season, I would not say things were turned around at all in terms of the program. It was a good season with talented players but most of those players have left. Basketball only requires 5 players on the floor to win, so during any given season, you can quickly advance or quickly revert from the previous season. When you lose 60% of that core 5 man roster (arguably the core 3 of the success of this past season), nothing has been turned around. It remains to be seen whether this was a blip on the radar. "Turning around a program" to me is defined as sustained success after a period of sustained failure or stagnation. If those guys aren't here for more than 1 season and the success shifts back into failure, they, in fact, did nothing for the sustained success of turning around the program. But that remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Unless you are volunteering to help them financially later in life, post-playing career, can't make any comments on their decision to provide for themselves and family. 

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm of an old school mentality. College basketball should not be a lottery where some players win prizes along the way (I continue to oppose the view of it being Professional Lite -- this is where I base my opinion). College sports are not a way to make a living and getting a temporary payday as a college student is not a living, it's a lottery win that, in my opinion based on the statistical information available for lottery winners, will ultimately be blown by a very high percentage of these guys in their 20s. There will be a lot of regret and I fear a lot of drug abuse and crime ahead for many of them who quickly blow through their college lottery win. I guarantee you that most of these NIL guys aren't setting up retirement accounts with moderate growth projections over the next 30-40 years but are rather buying high-end clothing and sports cars. It's wholesome to think they're caring for their families with their NIL but I'm telling you, that's not the case (some may be, but that's not reality). Be honest with yourself. Most of these guys will blow through the money and will end up right where they would be or perhaps worse off without having received it. It's the few who make it to the pros and have continued success with multiple contracts who will make a living from sports and not just a lottery payday.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Just thought I'd mention that Vlad Goldin is officially at Michigan.

Stunning news .... has Karter committed to Arkansas yet?

3 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

The problem is that Pryor got visibility here. So, going to a bigger school would not necessarily give him more visibility. He got the attention after the Memphis game and scouts started paying attention. If staying here would have given him more playing time, then the visibility would be greater here as well because of the opportunity to see more of him.

Makes sense. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out for him ...

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

20 hours ago, Triple B said:

Serious question, have many P6 bench players been drafted by the NBA?

i have no clue, but there are 60 picks in the draft, Summer League invites, the G-League & of course international ball.

the draft is not necessarily the only way to make it to the NBA & the NBA is not the only option for athletes to make a living off basketball, which id imagine is the ultimate goal, even if not the ideal of an NBA roster spot.

some players (Rockets’ Jalen Green i believe) have bypassed NCAA eligibility & gone from high school to GLeague & eventually earned a spot on an NBA roster.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,708
  • Days Won:  108

IMO the only guy from this past year's roster that has any shot at the NBA is Youngblood.

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,249

18 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

The problem is that Pryor got visibility here. So, going to a bigger school would not necessarily give him more visibility. He got the attention after the Memphis game and scouts started paying attention. If staying here would have given him more playing time, then the visibility would be greater here as well because of the opportunity to see more of him.

the visibility at USF will never match Power Conference schools. i love this school & its athletics programs & have for over 2 decades but let’s be realistic. nationally speaking USF was a cute late season story. when the media talked about it they talked in generic terms about the team/program but rarely mentioned players by name & they hopped on it so late the run was over within a week or two of it finally breaking as a blip in national reporting… & it *always* came with the caveat that the computers hated USF & there was no way to make the NCAAT short of winning the conference tourneys auto-bid so even positive coverage was mitigated by negativity about the quality of competition USF was playing.

USF has fewer nationally televised games against lesser competition with all but a cap on postseason potential being the NIT. ppl just dont take wins over Tulane, Temple & East Carolina as seriously as wins against pretty much any Power Conference schools, so his contributions beating those teams for another season wouldn’t be as valuable as winning against opponents on a Big 10 or ACC or even Big East schedule.

similarly, nothing compares to the exposure of being a key rotation player on even a decent NCAAT run.

& again, the NBA is not the only option. overseas scouts are more likely to see nationally televised games from Power Conference teams.

again, i love USF but u just cant compare the benefit of playing for a midmajor to that of playing for a Power Conference & cant blame Pryor or any other player from gambling on themselves.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,420
  • Days Won:  43

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

IMO the only guy from this past year's roster that has any shot at the NBA is Youngblood.

I think it will be Pryor that we eventually see in the NBA tbh. 

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  777

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I think Pryor has the best shot because of his size. He can score against and defend short and tall players.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

On 4/10/2024 at 9:00 PM, Rex Havoc said:

Im not against the players making some money, but there needs to be rules and a cap on how much each player can make. Right now it’s just crazy how players jump from one school to the next to the next. It’s like free agency but without the rules of free agency. IMO it takes a lot of fun out of college athletics.

Even the big name schools like Ohio State, ND, etc are losing players to other schools whose boosters will overpay for a player. We just need a billionaire booster to help us buy National Championship quality teams each year. 

I’m $998M away… I still have hope to get there one day. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/12/2024 at 12:11 PM, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

easier said than done unfortunately.

There are plenty of scorers at the Low-D1, High-D2 and JUCO schools that can help us.  Just got to find the right fits.  Coach was a Recruiting Coordinator at one point which I’m sure helps him a lot in his coaching journey.