• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thanks FSU and the College Football Committee

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

13 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I get that. But they could have ranked SMU ahead of Liberty based on SOS.

sure but smu had 2 losses. our commissioner is out there complaining about it.

rankings will always be subjective and there will always be people who claim it isn't fair.

they still do that for the basketball tourney and they let in **** near everybody.

the 13th placed team will complain next year how unfair it is.

Edited by Bull94

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The action wasn’t to expand the playoffs to the g5 it was to expand the playoffs. 

The G5 part makes an argument for the size of the expansion and appeals to fairness.

The G5 part was important to fairness because it requires more from athletes and if its just the P5 they already settled it in the season and in the conference championship.

The same fairness argument will then be used to remove the G5 because they aren’t qualified and it’s unfair to those that are qualified.

The G5 isn’t losing anything it’s just making it fair for everyone and every year the G5 has top 12 teams they will still get in. 

again that is your pessimistic assumption. unless you have a crystal ball, I'll go with the rules in place.

like I said, basketball has become more inclusive as they have expanded the playoffs to the benefit of everyone involved.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

11 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I get that. But they could have ranked SMU ahead of Liberty based on SOS.

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

sure but smu had 2 losses. our commissioner is out there complaining about it.

Shedding no tears over SMU getting shut out but it's their on fault. Beat one of their P5 opponents and they were good ....

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, Bull94 said:

again that is your pessimistic assumption. unless you have a crystal ball, I'll go with the rules in place.

like I said, basketball has become more inclusive as they have expanded the playoffs to the benefit of everyone involved.

I thought we were shelfing this conversation until it happens for the first time, at which point I fully expect you to be shocked by the idea that they could possibly do this...again.  68 teams does not equal 12 and 5 on 5 does not equal 11 on 11 especially when most people do not play iron man and its actually closer to at least 25 vs 25 from a fielding perspective. Cinderella story runs are from survivorship bias based on volume. Most Cinderella hopefuls are back to scrubbing floors 1 minute into the tournament on games no one noticed because 10 or them are going on at the same time.

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I thought we were shelfing this conversation until it happens for the first time, at which point I fully expect you to be shocked by the idea that they could possibly do this...again.  68 teams does not equal 12 and 5 on 5 does not equal 11 on 11 especially when most people do not play iron man and its actually closer to at least 25 vs 25 from a fielding perspective. Cinderella story runs are from survivorship bias based on volume. Most Cinderella hopefuls are back to scrubbing floors 1 minute into the tournament on games no one noticed because 10 or them are going on at the same time.

I won't be shocked if the sec and big 10 break off that could be tough though because every other conference could say f you then we won't play you in any other sport..

not sure what you are saying as far as basketball v football but look at the revenue generated by both playoffs.

I assume the g5 will get 1/12th of football playoff revenue(or whatever pittance they get for each round).

That's 92%(or more) of revenue to the "power" conferences.

I'm willing to bet that the power schools get far less % of the basketball revenue and they started out with 100% of that.

I get you're a pessimist and assume everything will work out for the worst but the playoffs expanding is good for everyone including the g5 schools.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  441
  • Days Won:  2

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Shedding no tears over SMU getting shut out but it's their on fault. Beat one of their P5 opponents and they were good ....

I agree, they played 2 P5 teams and lost to both. That includes a 17 point loss to a TCU team that went 5-7. If they had won that game they would have been in over Liberty.

Just now, Bull94 said:

I won't be shocked if the sec and big 10 break off.

not sure what you are saying as far as basketball v football but look at the revenue generated by both playoffs.

I assume the g5 will get 1/12th of football playoff revenue(or whatever pittance they get for each round).

That's 92%(or more) of revenue to the "power" conferences.

I'm willing to bet that the power schools get far less % of the basketball revenue and they started out with 100% of that.

I get you're a pessimist and assume everything will work out for the worst but the playoffs expanding is good for everyone including the g5 schools.

It isn't pessimistic and I do not think it is working out for the worst, I just think people looking at it that way are looking at it from the wrong perspective of where it is designed to be looked at from.

7 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It isn't pessimistic and I do not think it is working out for the worst, I just think people looking at it that way are looking at it from the wrong perspective of where it is designed to be looked at from.

yeah the actual perspective because those are the actual rules in place.

you assume they will take something away. that our situation will somehow become worse.

Pessimist -

a person who tends to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.

they are expanding the playoffs and that will benefit everyone including g5 schools.

the "power" schools will get 7 more playoff spots and g5 gets 1.

Edited by Bull94

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

yeah the actual perspective because those are the actual rules in place.

you assume they will take something away. that our situation will somehow become worse.

Pessimist -

a person who tends to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.

they are expanding the playoffs and that will benefit everyone including g5 schools.

the "power" schools will get 7 more playoff spots and g5 gets 1.

No that is the very small insignificant minority view, you see it as taking away because you know the G5 probably should lose it (which sounds pretty pessimistic). The overall view is that everyone is gaining something in that everyone regardless of conference affiliation still has the exact same chances of making it into the playoffs just as long as they show the committee they are the best teams (that sounds optimistic). Why should the rich and powerful playing the toughest schedules be punished for their success that doesn't sound very fair, doe is? Does anyone really want in because of pity and technicalities just to get embarrassed when they can actually earn it and have things be fair?

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

BIG10 and SEC asserting themselves as the P2 by putting two 1 loss SEC teams ahead of an undefeated ACC team. 

All this means is that even if USF were in the ACC, we won’t get recognized or respected by the P2 or playoff system. They shafted FSU, they will definitely shaft USF.

This was also a move to prompt the top ACC schools to depart for the Big10 and SEC. They just took a huge dump on the desk of the ACC asserting their dominance and demonstrating that the table is reserved for Big10 and SEC only.

It’s truly one of the greatest subtle power moves of all time. 

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1