• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Abdur - Rahim - Not Impressed!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,023
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

As for recruiting, what would make you want to play at USF?

The bay?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,118
  • Days Won:  56

1 hour ago, Cpa_bull1990 said:

VPMK should have given Coach Gregory another year!

We should have given Stan Heath another year. 😉

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,023
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Considering the only coach in our history who actually used this job as a stepping stone was the carnival barker, Seth, I'm not sure how accurate that is. There's no reason we couldn't have a Dusty May situation here, just a matter getting the right fit ....... which CAAR may or may not be.

I don’t think Wooly even suggested there is attractiveness as a steppingstone job.  Perhaps it’s viewed in the opposite light.  

My takeaway from Wooly’s post is we’re not a very attractive offering for proven players or coaches.  

Therefore, our strategy remains every few years selecting those willing to come here, both parties satisfied to roll the dice (at higher pay). 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,473
  • Days Won:  13

51 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

We should have given Stan Heath another year. 😉

100% correct

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,448
  • Days Won:  19

2 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

So, given our half-century-plus of data to review, what coach WANTS to coach at USF?

As **** Vitale said, USF is the toughest job in coaching. Of course that was when we were playing in the Big East, but the level of competition it doesn't see to matter that much.  The Bulls have been capable over the years to play below the lowest bar set.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

Considering the only coach in our history who actually used this job as a stepping stone was the carnival barker, Seth, I'm not sure how accurate that is. There's no reason we couldn't have a Dusty May situation here, just a matter getting the right fit ....... which CAAR may or may not be.

9 hours ago, Brad said:

I don’t think Wooly even suggested there is attractiveness as a steppingstone job. 

Wooly upvoted that so I assume you hit what he was meaning but the part below indicated, to me, he was referring to an "attractiveness as a steppingstone", but not as a destination job.

11 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

what coach WANTS to coach at USF? Isn't USF really just an apprenticeship for where you want to be? We're not a destination.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,755
  • Days Won:  3

OK, kids...let me re-phrase this: U of SF is not now, has never been, and I'm just guessing will not be in the foreseeable future - a landing strip. Whether you're an old coach looking to ease into the abyss, or a young coach in need of something on the resume other than that summer you managed free-throw camp, U of SF is where you find yourself. Face it. We have a team. We've had a team. But we never built anything. You don't want to look at the graph and see spikes every twelve years. You want that graph to level out at - or above - .500 with some measure of regularity. I'm not talking perennial NCAA appearances, just level out.

How many coaches do you think say "****, I'd like to coach at the University of South Florida! Forget this Duke, Purdue, Creighton and Villanova business. I'm going someplace where I can build it from the ground up (fifty years into the project)!"  Yeah, yeah, I know those programs wouldn't extend an interview to some of the coaches we consider, but the point is, we should probably not complain about the results when we see the ingredients. What'd you expect? 

Maybe that's being too harsh. Maybe I should say that we've built the bare minimum of a program to continue to compete. Are we happy with that? Why shouldn't we be happy? What's not to love about hoping (oh yeah, that's the word) that we might make it past the first round of our conference tournaments? Sure, there's no reason we couldn't have our Dusty May moment. We just have to keep buying lottery tickets and hoping that this guy is all-six-numbers.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

OK, kids...let me re-phrase this: U of SF is not now, has never been, and I'm just guessing will not be in the foreseeable future - a landing strip. Whether you're an old coach looking to ease into the abyss, or a young coach in need of something on the resume other than that summer you managed free-throw camp, U of SF is where you find yourself. Face it. We have a team. We've had a team. But we never built anything. You don't want to look at the graph and see spikes every twelve years. You want that graph to level out at - or above - .500 with some measure of regularity. I'm not talking perennial NCAA appearances, just level out.

How many coaches do you think say "****, I'd like to coach at the University of South Florida! Forget this Duke, Purdue, Creighton and Villanova business. I'm going someplace where I can build it from the ground up (fifty years into the project)!"  Yeah, yeah, I know those programs wouldn't extend an interview to some of the coaches we consider, but the point is, we should probably not complain about the results when we see the ingredients. What'd you expect? 

Maybe that's being too harsh. Maybe I should say that we've built the bare minimum of a program to continue to compete. Are we happy with that? Why shouldn't we be happy? What's not to love about hoping (oh yeah, that's the word) that we might make it past the first round of our conference tournaments? Sure, there's no reason we couldn't have our Dusty May moment. We just have to keep buying lottery tickets and hoping that this guy is all-six-numbers.

We will never compete until we get an arena on campus and then remodel it 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Forget this Duke, Purdue, Creighton and Villanova business.

Villanova will be trying to talk Jay Wright into coming back. Got beat up on by a couple of Philly teams this past week - St Joes and Drexel.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Translation = Budding basketball coaches don't go to sleep dreaming about being the Bulls head coach.