• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tales of Bowl Games past

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

Been to several bowls, but most memorable were the first one, Meineke - I recall getting interviewed by local Charlotte new station on our way into the game, which was cool.  El Paso was the most fun (beside the game itself) - remember a great pep rally the day before, and I think we had a Bullspen get together as well which was fun.  I remember the locals getting rowdy, fighting in the stands and rolling down the steps.  That was wild.  Then our cab driver almost convinced us to go into Juarez late at night on NYE.  Glad we didn't.  We spent NYD at the Hooters in town, basically from 10:30am to closing - saw 3 shifts of waitresses, and they claimed that only one group had ever gone through more pitchers than us 3, and they had 5 people.  Flight home was rough.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

4 hours ago, 79 Bull said:

Not a great memory but the bus ride back from Miami (after CWT **** the bed against his former team) seemed to take FOREVER.  My wife just kept asking me over and over "why did you decide not to drive?" 

Hah me and my friend walked from the stadium to the nearest train station.  Got stuck at a drawbridge.  Anyway eventually got the train to the airport and out. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Wife and I closed down the bar at Leows hotel south beach the night before the Miami Beach Bowl.  Doing aguardiente (fire water) shots with the bartender.  Some ladies brought the trophy into the bar that night.  I think it was a bad move for us to have seen the trophy the night before the game.  We may have jinxed it.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

MagicJack (St. Petersburg) Bowl '08:  Went to this one with @bullsmania mainly to see a football game played inside the Trop. We watched some of it but spent a lot of time just walking around the place, sipping beer, and seeing how many times we could use the phrase magicjack  in a double entendre connotation. We debated as to whether we should amble down 'bout the Seminole Hard Rock post-game, but settled for heading back to our respective ranches. 

Not overly memorable...magicjack aside. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

I have been to all 10 and will go to every one until I die. My son was 6months old at our first bowl game but he was there. Although I had to splurge for Club tickets so my wife could take him inside with that cool weather. 

The Canada Bowl was a blast! I remember going back-and-forth with a certain someone on this message board about how awesome it would be and while he disagreed with me at the time he did end up going to the game and I am sure is thankful he did. 

My favorite though had to be the Birmingham bowl and the Quinton flowers last second touchdown. It’s what every sports fan lives for.

i’m very much looking forward to this being a regular event like it was back in the day. 

Edited by jjlovecub
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Went to all except Toronto and Tampa. 
most fun was the Papa John’s Bowl in Birmingham although I wondered if we’d make it there. We drove up in the pouring in a convoy of 6 or 7 cars with Craig from Bulls Outfitter and Gene leading the way driving 90 across I-10. 

Edited by snarling Bull

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  140
  • Days Won:  0

I've been to about 6 of the bowl games but the two most memorable were both the Charlotte games. 

Definitely wanted to be at the first bowl game ever and while we didn't win, it was a great experience.  It seemed about 5k USF fans and 60K NC State fans.  It was kinda fun being the enemy and everyone you saw in green was your new friend if you weren't friends already. 

What also made this trip unique was we did it Smokey and the Bandit style.  My friend and I (another USF grad) had to work til midnight at the USPS plant in St Pete and we left straight from work.  Got to Bojangles off I-75 in Charlotte for breakfast, tailgated, watched the game and made it back to my friend's New Year's Eve Party in Brooksville just before midnight....like I said, Smokey and the Bandit style as the game ended just after 3pm or so.

The second Charlotte bowl game against Clemson was Smokey and the Bandit part II.  This time I was already up in the area as I flew to a friend's house in Atlanta and stayed the night.  The next day we drove to Charlotte to enjoy the bowl festivities the night before the game with other Bulls fans.  I believe the bowl game ended sometime around 330pm-ish because directly from this game, we drove south as fast as we could back to Atlanta to try and catch the 7:30pm kickoff for #19 FSU vs #23 South Carolina in the Chik-Fil-A Bowl.  We ended up missing about half of the first quarter but it was pretty cool doing two bowl games in a day.

Edited by pistonpete
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,678
  • Days Won:  108

Our first bowl game was the Papa John Bowl. Drove up with the Mrs and our daughter. Got to the stadium early and had no tailgate gear, food or drinks. A car pulled up next to us and set up a tailgate. The Mrs and I walked around the stadium and before we headed out reminded our daughter not to drink too much as we were driving home right after the game and she was going to hang out with the next car group. By time we got back to the car to head inside our daughter was wasted. Funny as hell. They were playing "shot" checkers and she slurred "I lost".  We drove back after the game and she slept in the back seat instead of rotating driving until she woke up somewhere south of ATL. She drove for a short while to spell the two of us.  

Sun Bowl was a good trip. When we met Bully Pulpit and I think the guy that was ___ eats it.  Had some travel issues but got to El Paso I believe the same day we were supposed to. Stayed, unknowingly, at what was the Oregon team hotel and hung out with some of their parents in the bar the night before the game. Good people and had a lot of fun. The game was horrible but the trip was great. Met some of the Bullspenners at the party a night or two before the game. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,497
  • Days Won:  10

I haven't missed a single bowl game and don't plan to as long as I'm able.  Fun times!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

12 hours ago, jjlovecub said:

My favorite though had to be the Birmingham bowl and the Quinton flowers last second touchdown. It’s what every sports fan lives for.

I got to go to that one.  Still the last win I ever saw in person.  A nice last second win and we were so excited that THE Charlie Strong was making an appearance on the sidelines (hah).