• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tales of Bowl Games past

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,340
  • Days Won:  43

Some memories regarding my experience attending the MagicJack St Pete Bowl. I think the biggest thing that still stands out to me is that was the game that USF started to use different color helmets other than Gold. I remember walking into the Trop to be surprised with USF wearing white helmets. I was like cool but took some time to get used to. USF played great as they basically dominated Memphis. The tailgating experience was fun as we were able to tailgate in the Ferg’s parking lot so we got to see tons of USF fans make the their way to the Trop from Fergs. I believe that was the 1st this I got to set out the two Green & Gold USF Santas which was cool as they were handling out beads to fans. Ran into a WVU fan at the game and he was talking trash about USF saying that his Mountaineers were a real football team. Think that was before USF beat them up in Morgantown lol. To this day I find it funny to see many WVU think they are superior to USF especially regarding the latest big 12 conference realignments. Going to be funny when USF ends up in ACC while they are still stuck in a western conference lol. Anyway back on topic, I thought the bowl game was good with what they had to work with. Glad they moved that bowl to RJS and now known as the Gasparilla Bowl which is a good Bowl imo. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

14 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Some memories regarding my experience attending the MagicJack St Pete Bowl. I think the biggest thing that still stands out to me is that was the game that USF started to use different color helmets other than Gold. I remember walking into the Trop to be surprised with USF wearing white helmets. I was like cool but took some time to get used to. USF played great as they basically dominated Memphis. The tailgating experience was fun as we were able to tailgate in the Ferg’s parking lot so we got to see tons of USF fans make the their way to the Trop from Fergs. I believe that was the 1st this I got to set out the two Green & Gold USF Santas which was cool as they were handling out beads to fans. Ran into a WVU fan at the game and he was talking trash about USF saying that his Mountaineers were a real football team. Think that was before USF beat them up in Morgantown lol. To this day I find it funny to see many WVU think they are superior to USF especially regarding the latest big 12 conference realignments. Going to be funny when USF ends up in ACC while they are still stuck in a western conference lol. Anyway back on topic, I thought the bowl game was good with what they had to work with. Glad they moved that bowl to RJS and now known as the Gasparilla Bowl which is a good Bowl imo. 

Oh, yes.  I do remember the white helmets and how excited the team was (and the fans) because it was so shockingly out of the ordinary, and it had been kept a secret.  Now its just a weekly thing to see a new helmet (yawn).  I wish they'd stick with the GOLD and then when they do make an exception, it would be a "big deal."  But, as long as they win like they did that day, I guess the helmets wouldn't really matter.  I think that was the game where Ben Busbee had a big day.  We met his dad at the game.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Oh, yes.  I do remember the white helmets and how excited the team was (and the fans) because it was so shockingly out of the ordinary, and it had been kept a secret.  Now its just a weekly thing to see a new helmet (yawn).  I wish they'd stick with the GOLD and then when they do make an exception, it would be a "big deal."  But, as long as they win like they did that day, I guess the helmets wouldn't really matter.  I think that was the game where Ben Busbee had a big day.  We met his dad at the game.  

Yes, exactly! Busbee had a great game. They were a fun team. Reminds me how bad the Big East Bowl line up was even though it was considered a BCS conference. Think the best bowl outside or the BCS game was a shared bowl tie in with the Gator Bowl that usually went to Notre Dame lol 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

53 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

The tailgating experience was fun as we were able to tailgate in the Ferg’s parking lot so we got to see tons of USF fans make the their way to the Trop from Fergs.

We were in Fergs to tailgate for that one. Bought a bottle of tequila for them to put on the table. Asked for a pitcher, a bag of ice and limes. But the ice in the bags, dropped it into the pitcher, poured the tequila into the pitcher to chill but not dilute and squeezed the limes into it. A bunch of pitchers of beer and that bottle of tequila were consumed that day. Oh to be young again.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

We were in Fergs to tailgate for that one. Bought a bottle of tequila for them to put on the table. Asked for a pitcher, a bag of ice and limes. But the ice in the bags, dropped it into the pitcher, poured the tequila into the pitcher to chill but not dilute and squeezed the limes into it. A bunch of pitchers of beer and that bottle of tequila were consumed that day. Oh to be young again.

Heck yeah! That Fergs area is a fun spot. Probably one of the best parts whenever I make it to the Rays games. It is amazing how much that area has developed. 

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

12 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Our first bowl game was the Papa John Bowl. Drove up with the Mrs and our daughter. Got to the stadium early and had no tailgate gear, food or drinks. A car pulled up next to us and set up a tailgate. The Mrs and I walked around the stadium and before we headed out reminded our daughter not to drink too much as we were driving home right after the game and she was going to hang out with the next car group. By time we got back to the car to head inside our daughter was wasted. Funny as hell. They were playing "shot" checkers and she slurred "I lost".  We drove back after the game and she slept in the back seat instead of rotating driving until she woke up somewhere south of ATL. She drove for a short while to spell the two of us.  

Sun Bowl was a good trip. When we met Bully Pulpit and I think the guy that was ___ eats it.  Had some travel issues but got to El Paso I believe the same day we were supposed to. Stayed, unknowingly, at what was the Oregon team hotel and hung out with some of their parents in the bar the night before the game. Good people and had a lot of fun. The game was horrible but the trip was great. Met some of the Bullspenners at the party a night or two before the game.

Flew up on the charter for Papa Johns.  At the Bulls bash the night before the game it was open bar, so that was a tailor-made disaster.  Got to drinking with Ward Griffin and the next day my ex was pretty much passed out in the stands the whole game.

Walking out of the Sun Bowl, I was approached by a guy in a Texas El Paso hat who said to me, "You guys came an awful long way for the worst Sun Bowl ever."  Thanks for that.  Besides the horror that was the game, I had a good time at the post-game Bulls bash at Cattleman's Steakhouse.  When the bus arrived, armed "desparados" stopped us and shot a duck pinata to empathize with our pain.  Then to ease it, when we got off the bus they greeted us with huge trays of tequila served in hand-carved cucumber shot glasses.  I ate rattlesnake at dinner and that was still one of the highlights of the trip.... 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

3 hours ago, Bull Matrix said:

MagicJack St Pete Bowl

We went to Arigato for hibachi after that game.  RIP to Arigato!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

A bunch of friends and I road tripped to the first ever bowl game, couldn't miss it. Remember we tore it up at Bar Charlotte. One of our friends actually met her future husband there, as he started chatting her up and eventually asked her to ride the mechanical bull with him. We partied HARD. Remember chunks of the actual game. The punter's perfect pass up the seam. The defense forcing a turnover, then Carlton Hill fumbling the ball back the very next play. (I think the D forced another turnover right after that, but can't remember). It was a great trip. We had so much fun we road tripped the PapaJohns.com Bowl in Birmingham the next season with largely the same group (with a few new add-ons), and then we all hustled back the next day to make sure we were back in town for Christmas with our families.

Those were good times, back when we were dumb college kids with very little concern for anything besides partying and USF football.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Yeah, I remember the (then) GF and I and a couple of friends we sat with absolutely geeking out when they came running out with the white helmets on because nobody had a clue that it was coming.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

Magic Jack was great except for the sucky field with LOTS of turf seams and not great placement over the diamond.  Spent pre-game at Ferg's watching Plant High win another state championship on the upstairs TV.  Good times!