• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A review of our Defense and a Comparison to last year.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

3 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

We have 9 games left, 10 if we make a bowl game. We had a drop-off toward the 2nd half of last year due to the depth and limitations of the players we had. This year we are playing way more players on defense due to our depth. I'm not comparing last year's "after 3 games" b/c this is a different team and set of opponents. I'm comparing it to last year's total and that we have plenty of games left to not only surpass last year's total but reach even higher goals. I am not comparing it game by game. 

He makes a good point though. You don't want to compare season to season over 3 games because it doesn't suit your narrative. I agree that this defense feels and looks different and vastly better than last year's version. However, injuries and lack of depth could rear their ugly head again at some point. I am encouraged by what I have seen, but I think we can all agree that the real season starts on Saturday. Have to carry over the positive defensive momentum from Alabama. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

I was concerned with the  Coach Go hire being another Offensive Coordinator with no Head coach experience that he wouldn't be defensive minded enough. So far I've been pleasantly surprised. Losing sucks but seeing a defense that's not painful to watch gives me something I haven't had for 4 years...hope in late September that November games won't be meaningless.

Edited by pascobull

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

24 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

He makes a good point though. You don't want to compare season to season over 3 games because it doesn't suit your narrative. I agree that this defense feels and looks different and vastly better than last year's version. However, injuries and lack of depth could rear their ugly head again at some point. I am encouraged by what I have seen, but I think we can all agree that the real season starts on Saturday. Have to carry over the positive defensive momentum from Alabama. 

If I wanted to compare both seasons after 3 games then I would have simply stated it was a "comparison after 3 games". You will not see the same stats in every game b/c it fluctuates due to different factors. Which is why I didn't compare it game by game. I am basing it off of last year's TOTAL. Which part of total are ya'll missing? The To or the Tal? Also, by us being a deeper team defensively means we have a better chance of still being productive through injuries. 

Edited by Gatorbull325

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

For sure there is improvement we are seeing on defense the tackling use to be a big liability now that isn't an issue. 

This Rice game will be a good test to see how this defense can do vs a pretty good Rice offense with a QB that can pass.  Hopefully we have play the pass better cause FAMU qb was having some success.  Our run defense seems to be the most solid part of the defense. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

29 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

If I wanted to compare both seasons after 3 games then I would have simply stated it was a "comparison after 3 games". You will not see the same stats in every game b/c it fluctuates due to different factors. Which is why I didn't compare it game by game. I am basing it off of last year's TOTAL. Which part of total are ya'll missing? The To or the Tal? Also, by us being a deeper team defensively means we have a better chance of still being productive through injuries. 

But you are using the first 3 games of this season to extrapolate to a season's total. The other poster made a good point that our defensive stats through the first 3 games last year were much better than the end of season stats. That could be the case again this season, although I doubt that. This defense seems more determined, competent, and deep than last year's iteration. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

But you are using the first 3 games of this season to extrapolate to a season's total. The other poster made a good point that our defensive stats through the first 3 games last year were much better than the end of season stats. That could be the case again this season, although I doubt that. This defense seems more determined, competent, and deep than last year's iteration. 

I'm just saying where we are at based on 3 games compared to last year's total. In the WKU game, we had 0 sacks, in the next 2 games we had 9 sacks combined. There are way too many fluctuations to base things off of game by game. I don't care about last year's first 3 games. It is irrelevant because this year is a totally different journey. The only numbers from last year I am using are the TOTALS.

Edited by Gatorbull325

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1,290
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not sure about our defense this season yet.. I think Nick Saban wanted to have his QB experiment against us last weekend because he knows how bad we are..  We gave up lot of yardages by FAMU.  

2 minutes ago, BullAdrian said:

I'm not sure about our defense this season yet.. I think Nick Saban wanted to have his QB experiment against us last weekend because he knows how bad we are..  We gave up lot of yardages by FAMU.  

1 QB was a 4-star recruit that played at Notre Dame and transferred to Alabama. The other is a 5-star recruit......yea, I'm not taking away from the defensive performance b/c of these two QBs. We gave up a lot of passing yards to FAMU, but only gave up 19 rushing yards. It's like some of ya'll put extra effort into being negative. 

• Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,525
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

If this doesn't add excitement for the upcoming games, I don't know what to say to Bulls Nation.  But I'm biased toward defense...

A-freaking-men .... Sitting there watching the game Saturday and then back again Sunday, I got goose bumps. Just need to maintain it to some degree.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,012
  • Days Won:  38

I was pondering whether it's better to have a good defense than a good offense today.  Here's what I came up with.

When we had our high scoring offenses and not a great defense it always seemed like we could blow the lead or no lead is safe.

The other night when we had a good defense and no offense I really believed we could beat Alabama all the way until the very end.  I was waiting for us to pop the ball out by the goal line like Notre Dame and tie the game up.  If we had scored a touchdown on special teams or defense at any point that place would have went nuts and we would have actually had the momentum.