• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching Timeline?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

As I ponder how much time to waste in the workweek on coaching rumors and Twitter, I realize this HC search is different from any we’ve had for football, isn’t it?  Mid-season, with an interim who the players know (and presumably like, otherwise why put him in it).  So there isn’t necessarily the late season carousel rush we’ve experienced in the past…we can afford to wait or even simply take our time if we want.  I wouldn’t think that’s a reason to not hire the right person if we find them, but we can also wait for dominoes to fall, or maybe see how our interim does on the job.

Has anyone heard from MK or anyone else about timeline on the search?  If not, speculation?  I’m sort of thinking we might want to slow play this a bit, maybe.  Not sure I have much faith in the AD staff at the moment, but I guess this is the moment when they could change that…

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, NCBull said:

As I ponder how much time to waste in the workweek on coaching rumors and Twitter, I realize this HC search is different from any we’ve had for football, isn’t it?  Mid-season, with an interim who the players know (and presumably like, otherwise why put him in it).  So there isn’t necessarily the late season carousel rush we’ve experienced in the past…we can afford to wait or even simply take our time if we want.  I wouldn’t think that’s a reason to not hire the right person if we find them, but we can also wait for dominoes to fall, or maybe see how our interim does on the job.

Has anyone heard from MK or anyone else about timeline on the search?  If not, speculation?  I’m sort of thinking we might want to slow play this a bit, maybe.  Not sure I have much faith in the AD staff at the moment, but I guess this is the moment when they could change that…

And I 100% disagree with waiting to see what everybody else does. There are well qualified coaches out there now. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, BDYZR said:

And I 100% disagree with waiting to see what everybody else does. There are well qualified coaches out there now. 

agree. can't sit around. Personally I like Herman if he can recruit florida.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

agree. can't sit around. Personally I like Herman if he can recruit florida.

I think that if he can recruit Texas he should be able to recruit Florida.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,555
  • Days Won:  28

7 minutes ago, NCBull said:

I read somewhere that it took 9 days to hire a new coach after Charlie Strong was fired. In terms of recruiting, it will be nice if we can bring this new coach in to salvage our recruiting class. December 21st is early signing day and Jan 15th is the official. But I rather MK make the best choice rather than rush it. 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Do new coaches ever get announced in the middle of the season when there is an interim? Would assume there may be a handshake deal that everyone knows about but nothing formally announced until after the UCF game

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

19 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Do new coaches ever get announced in the middle of the season when there is an interim? Would assume there may be a handshake deal that everyone knows about but nothing formally announced until after the UCF game

Why not?

Da Prato is signed as the special teams coach, not head coach

If VPMK goes with an available coach (Rhule, Frost, Herman, etc), I would think that person starts immediately, potentially even coaching any remaining games (why wait after all)

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Hopefully new hire happens soon, but not coaching the rest of the season, maybe sit in and evaluate the current staff, but their primary goal should be recruiting, meeting with players, and assembling a staff. This season is over, it doesn't do us any good to have a new coach coming in and trying to bend to the current staff and systems, they should get the opportunity to start fresh when they take over the actual on-field duties.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,494
  • Days Won:  0

We might hear something today at the Tuesday press conference. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

My only concern is that if we hire a guy that is unemployed at the moment he wouldn't have a staff to bring with him and would have to assemble it. Also, no possibility of bringing recruits committed at the other schools should we hire a guy coaching somewhere else.