• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Presidential Applicant's Take on Athletics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

11 hours ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

I'm trying to remember all the details from our president hunt a few years ago. I think for some of these high profile jobs for public schools like ours (president and AD type hires), some of the candidates hold off until the 11th hour. I think they try to avoid their name getting publicly out there since some times it can be awkward given their current job. Especially they're already a president/chancellor somewhere. People are more understanding if you're reaching up position wise. I'm really fuzzy but I swear one of the presidential candidates from when we were looking for Hitt's retirement eventually stepped away from his current job once his name was leaked as being in the hunt for the UCF job.

TLDR: some candidates for president jobs try to stay on the DL and officially throw their name in until the very end so it doesn't blow up that they're trying to leave their current employer.

👌

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

The next president will be chosen before they formally apply to protect both parties. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,998
  • Days Won:  12

The wish list was ridiculous. We wanted (the hire to be strong at) like 8 things. We will realistically get 3 or 4. Fortunately for Athletics fans, Athletics connections and commitments should be one of those things. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

45 minutes ago, hm101 said:

The wish list was ridiculous. We wanted (the hire to be strong at) like 8 things. We will realistically get 3 or 4. Fortunately for Athletics fans, Athletics connections and commitments should be one of those things. 

I humbly disagree you hire to your core competencies and maintaining and growing those, athletics has been a liability and if the hire improves it that’s a nice little gift with purchase but no one should be looking to hire someone with athletics at the front of their mind (that’s the wrong school at the wrong time for that). Companies that look to become something that they aren’t typically don’t end up getting there while sacrificing what they actually are and did well.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

On 2/12/2022 at 12:08 PM, 79 Bull said:

I'm sure we have 4 or 5 serious contenders that have applied.  Anyone know where to find those?

The consultant is keeping those close to the vest. Candidates and consultant are careful to not generate something that would be a public record until legally necessary. That's why FL public schools use these consultants.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Vanessa Quinones off the public list was not a terrible option. She should probably get a Presidency role somewhere. Maybe not USF, but there's definitely a place for someone like her somewhere. Provost of #217 university in the country should find her a regional presidency role somewhere. Or a Provost at a bigger school. Smart of her to get herself on a search committee's radar. 

I would like to see Shaheen Abdullah's 39 page proposal. An assistant professor isn't someone I'd hire at the Presidential level but as a CPA I'm always curious to see how they would manage the university from an accounting and finance perspective. 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

A president who is focused primarily on athletics is not good for the university as a whole.

We would be lucky to have someone who can make half the progress Judy made.

I'm sure she has been considered, but we should look into hiring Renu Khator--formerly at USF and now leading UH.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

A president who is focused primarily on athletics is not good for the university as a whole.

I'm sure she has been considered, but we should look into hiring Renu Khator--formerly at USF and now leading UH.

Renu makes serious $…doubtful we will make it worthwhile for her financially.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

29 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Khator is not happening. If I had to make the pick 15 years ago between her and Judy, I would have picked Khator. What she has done at Houston athletics wise is tremendous. Academically Judy has been better, but It's not completely clear where UH started from in 2007. She's also old enough that she probably wouldn't consider starting over. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,712
  • Days Won:  109

3 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Khator is not happening. If I had to make the pick 15 years ago between her and Judy, I would have picked Khator. What she has done at Houston athletics wise is tremendous. Academically Judy has been better, but It's not completely clear where UH started from in 2007. She's also old enough that she probably wouldn't consider starting over. 

Would have had to be 23 years ago.  Wasn't Judy here for 20 and Steve Currall 2?