• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Presidential Applicant's Take on Athletics

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,712
  • Days Won:  109

6 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Between 50 and 45 would be most ideal. Good experience but still hungry. Many colleges today are actually hiring people from business to run the universities. I think this works great for small liberal arts colleges but I’m not sold on large major universities. So, within the age range I gave this person, they would need a strong academic background…preferably with a terminal degree in business. 

You missed my point. That's happening a lot with me lately. You are okay with keeping Rhea who is 70 for 5 years while wanting someone 50.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

You missed my point. That's happening a lot with me lately. You are okay with keeping Rhea who is 70 for 5 years while wanting someone 50.

That’s only because Rhea is a known quality (we know her position on the stadium)…she could be 108 and I would still want her. Like I have noted earlier in this thread no matter who we hire (and no matter how many boxes they check) we have to hope for the best because we won’t know until they actually start working. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That’s only because Rhea is a known quality (we know her position on the stadium)…she could be 108 and I would still want her. Like I have noted earlier in this thread no matter who we hire (and no matter how many boxes they check) we have to hope for the best because we won’t know until they actually start working. 

Gotcha. Maybe 70 is the new 50. At least I'm hoping.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

We can only hope brother 🤘

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,659
  • Days Won:  424

31 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Trust me, its not ....

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Trust me, its not ....

I was asking for a friend. I'm nowhere near it. 🙄

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

19 hours ago, Triple B said:

Trust me, its not ....

70 is the new 75

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Currall had a business background to an extent. Even when he returns (assuming he returns) he will return to a professor's seat in the COB. However, it's clear that it was just a degree on the wall. An intelligent president would never have axed the entire undergraduate education degree when we are one of the largest producers of teachers in the State of Florida. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

As far as new presidents, I maintain that it needs to be, as others have said, someone entrepreneurial, who wants to sell every aspect of the University to the city of Tampa first and to our region, including St. Pete and Sarasota. The academic side HAS been getting better, but we do need an athletics first president. Frankly that should have been the hire in 2019 and I'm confused as to how it was not. 

Genshaft probably has a more mixed legacy than people think, but the critical stuff academically, she owned. The university got much better at graduating students on time under her watch. The university got much better at research under her watch. She did well in empowering the biosciences areas of the university to start getting moving. But she hamstrung athletics to a large extent and seemed to almost hate it if it didn't get her any kind of credit. Fundraising for the non-sciences areas didn't seem as strong as it could have been (could be wrong). 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  405
  • Days Won:  2

On 2/12/2022 at 10:11 AM, BulledOver said:

?? Anybody read the summary that was out on the current applicants? Lordy, is that the best that USF can draw? If this hyphen name guy is from Valencia, Ca, it appears he may have just ran unsuccessfully for Congress in Ca. We just had a president from California and that went well-Not! Reading the candidates bio's and their pitches hell, I may send an application in for the job. At least I would promise fun, excitement, great athletics and......I'm homegrown!       Let's just keep the gal we have. Somebody con her into it. Grease her $$.   I sure hope USF doesn't hire some friggin off the wall, goofball.

I'm trying to remember all the details from our president hunt a few years ago. I think for some of these high profile jobs for public schools like ours (president and AD type hires), some of the candidates hold off until the 11th hour. I think they try to avoid their name getting publicly out there since some times it can be awkward given their current job. Especially they're already a president/chancellor somewhere. People are more understanding if you're reaching up position wise. I'm really fuzzy but I swear one of the presidential candidates from when we were looking for Hitt's retirement eventually stepped away from his current job once his name was leaked as being in the hunt for the UCF job.

TLDR: some candidates for president jobs try to stay on the DL and officially throw their name in until the very end so it doesn't blow up that they're trying to leave their current employer.